• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Vk pro 2 mods

Quinton Keats

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2016 Yamaha Pro 2
Let’s see some of your VK Pro mods, share your ideas. I have Pro 2 and there isn’t that many accessory on the market. I installed a vehicle auto start on my VK pro 2, I tried to at a video but was to big for this post. But you see in the pic the module and hood pin switch. I also installed an atv Kolpin gun boot holder, atv Kolpin chain saw holder, an axe mate. On the dash I have installed and wired in a Garmin 276cx, Garmin Inreach (ram mount) and a iPhone ram mount. I keep a safety throw rope around my handlebars ( it’s been there now 3 years and has never got tangled up). I took off my handlebar pad cover and stitched on a glasses pouch to hold sunglasses and amber glasses.
Some this that I have improved on for my own use is pantyhose over the hood vents to stop snow going on the engine causing steam and frosting up the windshield, and a pre air filter pice placed over the front grill for the same purpose of snow ingestion. I also extended the coolant overflow hose, installed scratchers and dropped the rear suspension to the bottom mount holes for better traction in deep snow. I keep a plastic shovel, Liter of oil and a length of rope under the hood in front.

Attachments

• 9BA5478C-D421-4CE6-BFA3-98A697744154.jpeg
    9BA5478C-D421-4CE6-BFA3-98A697744154.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 529
  • AEE4ED0C-2F2D-422A-8AA2-858326510364.jpeg
    AEE4ED0C-2F2D-422A-8AA2-858326510364.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 517
  • 7F9B4FCA-7261-431A-ABFD-AEEAFDB2DBAE.jpeg
    7F9B4FCA-7261-431A-ABFD-AEEAFDB2DBAE.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 563
  • DB83D11D-C8FB-4A2B-B68E-86CCFFF6A934.jpeg
    DB83D11D-C8FB-4A2B-B68E-86CCFFF6A934.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 515
  • 94EE67B4-3104-4242-A483-DA3A07CC0DBE.jpeg
    94EE67B4-3104-4242-A483-DA3A07CC0DBE.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 507
  • 83FF0D68-1BA5-4F47-963E-81E4CCC1A626.jpeg
    83FF0D68-1BA5-4F47-963E-81E4CCC1A626.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 487
  • 8C96E7FE-7949-4C34-9E7A-0C83FE4AB876.jpeg
    8C96E7FE-7949-4C34-9E7A-0C83FE4AB876.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 495
  • E819229A-0E09-4DCE-AF52-98E7C93152F5.jpeg
    E819229A-0E09-4DCE-AF52-98E7C93152F5.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 491
  • 4FFE82D1-D747-44F6-B833-FCDF12A5BBB2.jpeg
    4FFE82D1-D747-44F6-B833-FCDF12A5BBB2.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 499
  • 0D0025B2-9C9E-4F71-BC8C-6364C763BD6D.jpeg
    0D0025B2-9C9E-4F71-BC8C-6364C763BD6D.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 500
  • 31AA77AB-7353-44BF-B3EF-B30420A85746.jpeg
    31AA77AB-7353-44BF-B3EF-B30420A85746.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 509
  • FCDCA556-8C7F-4B59-A38E-B0C40A70EC37.jpeg
    FCDCA556-8C7F-4B59-A38E-B0C40A70EC37.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 494
  • 6AC57D09-7E28-4536-89C6-2A5DCFFEEB58.jpeg
    6AC57D09-7E28-4536-89C6-2A5DCFFEEB58.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 504

I have a few questions for you. Is your auto start programmable so that it can start the sled on a timer and then shut off also. This would be one way to deal with cold starts when AC is not available. Sorry if that is a pretty basic/naive question but I don't know the first thing about them.

I have wondered about screening the vents because I guessed that would help the windshield. I have no reservations about restricting cooling a little as I have had no issues.

When you drop the rear of the skid you are increasing the sleds ability to climb up on top off the snow ... do I have that right? ... is it that noticeable?

Do you have skins?

Thanks for the post.

I have a few questions for you. Is your auto start programmable so that it can start the sled on a timer and then shut off also. This would be one way to deal with cold starts when AC is not available. Sorry if that is a pretty basic/naive question but I don't know the first thing about them.

I have wondered about screening the vents because I guessed that would help the windshield. I have no reservations about restricting cooling a little as I have had no issues.

When you drop the rear of the skid you are increasing the sleds ability to climb up on top off the snow ... do I have that right? ... is it that noticeable?

Do you have skins?

Thanks for the post.

Yes the auto start is programable this is why I installed it. I keep the fuses out of the system until I want to use it because the module is always powered up looking for the start single. The battery is not big enough to handle the drain when parked for an extended time. So when I go to the camp I put the two 30amp fuses back in and set the auto starter for cold weather mode when I park for the night. The auto start I used is intended for a car of truck but I was able to use it with little change to the install instructions. The biggest change was to how the ignition was wired. The auto start I had was for a power feed ignition and the vk is a ground feed ignition, what I did was wired in a grounding relay from the auto start module. I think that they're companies out there the sells auto start for snowmobiles. I will try to upload a youtube video and post a link.

Where I live is extreme cold weather for most of the winter (-30ish ambient temp) and I have no trouble running with my vents screened over, but with saying that in the spring of the year I remove the screens the feed air to the clutches and the screen that feeds air to the rad.

I run 9" ski skins and with dropping the rear skid I found it do help a bit. I setup the suspension as pre the manual for deep snow use. With saying this I hate to say it but the vk is still no where near the skandic in the powder :( the snow bungie is a must have with a tow rope because I've been plucked out many times. But towed home a lot of cooked 600 e-tecs :)

Quinton the mods look great! I’ve had the windshield ice up , is the mod preventing that? The reverse is so tiresome, any ideas on a quick fix other than turning her off and shifting? I find the wider ski skins very good for stability and for powder in spring. No good though side hilling when hunting!

Let’s see some of your VK Pro mods, share your ideas. I have Pro 2 and there isn’t that many accessory on the market. I installed a vehicle auto start on my VK pro 2, I tried to at a video but was to big for this post. But you see in the pic the module and hood pin switch. I also installed an atv Kolpin gun boot holder, atv Kolpin chain saw holder, an axe mate. On the dash I have installed and wired in a Garmin 276cx, Garmin Inreach (ram mount) and a iPhone ram mount. I keep a safety throw rope around my handlebars ( it’s been there now 3 years and has never got tangled up). I took off my handlebar pad cover and stitched on a glasses pouch to hold sunglasses and amber glasses.
Some this that I have improved on for my own use is pantyhose over the hood vents to stop snow going on the engine causing steam and frosting up the windshield, and a pre air filter pice placed over the front grill for the same purpose of snow ingestion. I also extended the coolant overflow hose, installed scratchers and dropped the rear suspension to the bottom mount holes for better traction in deep snow. I keep a plastic shovel, Liter of oil and a length of rope under the hood in front.
Hi Aquino

Hi Quinton, nice job on the upgrades to your Viking 2, very organized and the pictures are just top notch way to explain.
I have a brand new 2021 Viking 2, this week so I have a few ?? questions.
What brand of scratchers did you get and how are they working for you?
What size is the Fiskars axe, we have a 28 1/2 inch Fiskars and it is just awesome, for clearing small trees etc it is the best.
What size is the bar on your Stihl, I am thinking 16”, does it leak lots of oil from the chain lube system. I see what looks like split loom below the bar, with duct tape on it, what’s the story on that?
You mention a throw rope, how long is it and what size, I will assume this is in case of a through the ice trip on lakes and rivers??
Great idea on the handlebar mounted glass case, never seem to have enough storage.
In regards to the pantyhose covers on the vents, how is this held on to the hood?
Pulling the fuses on your cold weather start is bang on as these things are always pulling power, even when inactive, the ECMs are always looking for juice. I have a few and every vehicle that has one also has a master switch to kill all power from the battery, does not do much for starting but battery never gets drained. Thanks for your time and sharing your ideas. Bearman

Hi Quinton, missed this on my first questions, how is your tunnel icing working out with the standard exhaust? Still building my 2021 Viking pro, mainly equipping it for the season, currently 2 feet of snow here in east central Saskatchewan so time to get out there.

Regards, Bearman

Hi Quinton, missed this on my first questions, how is your tunnel icing working out with the standard exhaust? Still building my 2021 Viking pro, mainly equipping it for the season, currently 2 feet of snow here in east central Saskatchewan so time to get out there.

Regards, Bearman
Icing in the tunnel is something I find I need to stay on top of. If I'm out on a long trip I keep an eye on it and beat the ice off when I stop for a break. I'd like to put the exhaust mod on but it would conflict with the gun boot I have installed. For the best part I keep my sled in my heated garage so ice buildup isn't to big of a problem. The snowmobile season as started here in Labrador to, happy and safe trails Bearman.

I'm not pushing the exhaust mod but if you don't do it you cannot just ignore the tunnel icing. One fellow up here was pretty upset when his new 2019 calved an ice berg one morning that ruptured the heat exchanger at the front of the tunnel.

Icing in the tunnel is something I find I need to stay on top of. If I'm out on a long trip I keep an eye on it and beat the ice off when I stop for a break. I'd like to put the exhaust mod on but it would conflict with the gun boot I have installed. For the best part I keep my sled in my heated garage so ice buildup isn't to big of a problem. The snowmobile season as started here in Labrador to, happy and safe trails Bearman.
Hi Quinton,
I was wandering about the position of your saw and scabbard with the exhaust issue these sleds have. I asked yamaha about the exhaust issue, they simply say it’s part of running a 4 stroke sled and provided pictures of the change up that the owner has to eat, they say this is an 1.5 hr job, which I doubt. The instructions are somewhat vague, nothing said about draining the fuel tank, just remove tank, again nothing about fuel lines etc. To get down to the exhaust system is not a 5 minute task. Oh well, I am not really seeing an option so I am sure this will get done on mine too, may run for a while to experience the build up, having the heated garage is very nice, mine is garage kept but not heated, I am sure snow levels, ambient temperature and load will all influence the level of icing. Thanks for reply, Bearman

I'm not pushing the exhaust mod but if you don't do it you cannot just ignore the tunnel icing. One fellow up here was pretty upset when his new 2019 calved an ice berg one morning that ruptured the heat exchanger at the front of the tunnel.
Hey Yukon MP,
I understand the issue, just want to see it for myself and in my environment, to me the kit is imminent, just not happy to have to cut up a brand new sled for a problem that’s over 5 years old. So far the machine is awesome but have next to no time on the snow yet, that will change. I appreciate your input, great to have group participation and support. Bearman

They seriously said they would have to take everything off to get to the exhaust? A man with some stainless flex pipe and some clamps could reroute his own exhaust in about 15min seems like.

They seriously said they would have to take everything off to get to the exhaust? A man with some stainless flex pipe and some clamps could reroute his own exhaust in about 15min seems like.
Hey Christoph, when I get into the exhaust project I will keep your idea in mind. I personally do not like flexible exhaust pipe as it’s not a permanent fix, my experience has been flex pipe usually moves around, and the plastic base surrounding the muffler on the VK Viking Pro 2 will not stand actual contact with any exhaust pipe, leading to distortion as a minimum and melting as a possibility. Worst case is a fire and on a sled that’s a disaster. This is just my impression, not gospel by any means
I always wandered about the exhaust exiting the rear of the sled on the 4 strokes, with a rear rack on our VK Viking Pro 2 that’s a problem. I believe some other 4 strokes sleds actually went to a tunnel dump?
Has anyone ever tried to run the pipes straight out the back, on a VK Viking Pro 2, on top of the rear rack platform area, then built that area in around the pipes to retain your rear storage. Similar to an apex type system? Thoughts anyone?
Bearman

Are you able to tuck your scratchers on top of the rail when not in use? I have mine mounted further back. I think I’ll add a second set since in the spring we run long distances on lake ice with minimal or frozen down snow and changing slides on these beasts sucks!!

Hey Christoph, when I get into the exhaust project I will keep your idea in mind. I personally do not like flexible exhaust pipe as it’s not a permanent fix, my experience has been flex pipe usually moves around, and the plastic base surrounding the muffler on the VK Viking Pro 2 will not stand actual contact with any exhaust pipe, leading to distortion as a minimum and melting as a possibility. Worst case is a fire and on a sled that’s a disaster. This is just my impression, not gospel by any means
I always wandered about the exhaust exiting the rear of the sled on the 4 strokes, with a rear rack on our VK Viking Pro 2 that’s a problem. I believe some other 4 strokes sleds actually went to a tunnel dump?
Has anyone ever tried to run the pipes straight out the back, on a VK Viking Pro 2, on top of the rear rack platform area, then built that area in around the pipes to retain your rear storage. Similar to an apex type system? Thoughts anyone?
Bearman
I'm going to do the flex pipe mod to mine. I'm not paying that much to reroute the pipes. I'll drill out holes like the factory kit does and I have a friend who can fabricate a metal plate to route the pipe through. May even run the flex pipe along the lower metal tube on rear rack and have it exit that way. That way it won't interfere with gun boot and saw clamp mounts. I just need to get the measurement on the exhaust pipe out of the muffler and get the flex pipe and clamps ordered.

Back