• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Warrior Overheating? Problem - Or Normal For Conditions?

I think it would have been real nice if the tunnel protectors were also the heat exchangers. I had a 99 xcsp set up that way and it was also great for keeping the tunnel ice free. This would have saved some weight too. The f7 (yeah, I know, bite my tongue) has a unique system where the running board roll carries coolant to a heat exchanger that is part of the upper tunnel -- more weight savings yet. I too think that a proper rear exchanger way at the back would work. The crossover pipe may work on a shorty but I also found it created huge icycles that would finally break loose and wind up going into the tunnel. Last year this happened and the piece of ice was large enough to lock up the track. That's like braking with no brake lights - dangerous.

YAMAHA HAS A REPAIR. Thats right Yamaha has a repair for our RX1 Mountain and RX1 Warriors. It is a rear heat exchanger. My dealer has told me that it would cost aprox $88.00 and aprox 2.5 hrs to install. Yamaha IS NOT going to pay for this. I called Yamaha tonight and found out that is true, the lady told me that this is an accessory. The reason Yamaha came up with this is because there was a demand from their customers to have this as an accessory. I told them I wonder why so many wanted them as an accessory??? Was it because these vehicles OVERHEAT??? Or do people just want another way to spend money? I don't think so. I odered 1. My dealer told me that the dealer has to install it and that he needed my VIN to order the cooler. After talking to Yamaha, they said that the dealer dosn't have to install it but they highly recommended it be installed by the dealer.

What a bunch of B-S I really like the part about the dealer has to install it.LOL Its not a warranty job or a update,and its not the dealers sled.Some dealers crack me up. :twisted:

RX1, did your dealer give you a part number or bulletin number to reference, to get this heat exchanger "accessory"? Yamaha already has my VIN number on file for the Warrior overheat problem.

3000 miles on the Warrior and the temp. light has never come on. One of my last rides of the year was from Paradise to Brimley - it was probably 38 degrees. Rather than take the trails, we rode straight across Whitefish Bay. We were about 15 miles out, and were basically riding on bare ice. Even without snow, the temp. light never came on - although the engine was broken in at the time.

:-o Like yourself my light came on twice this year both times it was the conditions, hard pack with little snow up on the exchanger. I put a gauge on to see just how it runs normally, don't sweat it at least you know your system is working as the light did come on. :-o :-o

Bountyhunter said:
:-o Like yourself my light came on twice this year both times it was the conditions, hard pack with little snow up on the exchanger. I put a gauge on to see just how it runs normally, don't sweat it at least you know your system is working as the light did come on. :-o :-o

I'm curious: What are you seeing for temps? High, low and most usual running condition?

Most of us that had the problwm here had MORE trouble the COLDER the air was! So Yamaha is depending almost 100% on the liquid in the exchangers to get rid of all the heat. My worst condition for overheating (other than riding into town over pare pavement to get to gas) was below 15F and speeds under 30mph. The studs would not creat enough dust to satisfy the heat on the runningboards and the trail was such that I could not ride faster. Snow was sufficient to make abundant snow dust covering rear flap and tail light but not enough for all the heat generated in the engine!

My sled runs 165deg normally LaLaLa

Running plowed roads creeps to 180-190deg

Light seems to not come on till 220deg. I've only seen the light on once. ;)!

Temp light on my '03 shortie will come on when riding below 20 MPH in icy condition with no snow going to the exchangers. It has happend about 5 times in 2500 miles. When riding at higher speeds light will not come on riding in the same conditions.

Yamaha have a additional exchanger to be mounted in front of the snow flap. My dealer asked me if I wanted to be the guineapig for a new part Yamaha have developed to take care of overheating problems some have encontered on the RX-1 (121). They got 2 from Yamaha to install for testing, well I was lucky enough to be the first one having one installed. I got it installed at no cost, the only thing they wanted from me was my report on the product at the end of the season, early May that is. Have not been riding yet since the install, but will be this weekend.

Can't wait to test out the new stage 2 and ecp with crank evac working together. Thanks Matt for helping me out on clutching and evac to my ecp kit, http://www.speedshop1.com

Happy sledding to those who still have snow. 8)

VT the light first came on at the near end of our season, I had about 1800 miles on my 04 warrior and it was about -5c that day. We rode the groomed trails all morning and everything was fine, then in the after noon we got on an old railway line that runs for 80 miles. It was absoulutly pack down solid like a block of ice, and left little to pick up for cooling my exchangers. I managed to make it about 5 miles when I thought I saw the warning light on, it's pretty tough to see on sunny bright days. I was riding with my buddy on his 03rx1, so we stopped to inspect everything and really didn't see anymore heat coming from mine than his. All though while parked I noticed his was pissing out a little green on the snow. We sat for fifteen minutes to let it cool down, then turned around and headed back to the groomed trails. Of course just as we made it back to the trails my light came back on, after another breif stop for cooling we were back on the good stuff and never saw the light again. One week later the same thing happened as I was riding with three of my buddies on their 03rx1's and we got on a trail that had melted then froze over, I was doing 100 mph when that light came on. Well this time I had a hunch that the light might come on so I was moven but that didn't really solve anything. Again once we got on an other trail that had just a little snow to pick up I never saw the light. I put a two inch autometer temp gauge on for the last ride of the season last weekend, and with more water than snow in some places the light never came on go figure. I saw 165 to 170 pretty steady in the morning and 200 while riding a bare section, as soon as I launched it through a ditch with a foot of water it dropped right down to 160. As well as throwing a 60foot water rooster over my buddy who had his visor up, first manitoban to ever allmost drown on dry land while riding a snowmobile. [ That rip saw track would easly launch you across a lake ] I really don't know at what temp that light is suppose to come on, but knowing Yamaha they probably have a safety factor built in. So when the light comes on it's to catch your attention to stop and inspect your sled, but by no means are you at any critical temp to cause any damage. I'm very sure you could easly drive it for a few miles to allow yourself to get to better riding conditions so it would correct it's self. That's were I belive that those Simmons skis with the cooling tabs might be the answer to trails that lack enough snow to cool ;)! . Those tabs would kick up just enough of the white suff you need to maintain a safe riding temp. ;)! Hope this may help shed some light, parden the pun on your question. :-o

Since we definitely seem to have a situation where there are [Warrior]owners out there that have had allot of overheating and others that have had NONE/nearly none, I'm trying to figure out why?

I know some of it is dependant on snow conditions but I also have a strong feeling some of may have problems with air in the cooling system that is a bit more stubborn to bleed in some sleds than others maybe?

Has anyone ever used a vacuum pump to bleed the cooling system on a Yamaha snowmobile? Is it possible or is one of the other methods described here just as effective?

I know I may be grasping but I'd like to try it and thus eliminate all possibilities before jumping into adding a cooler and then having to worry about clearance issues.

VT may be on to something with the air theory. I just installed my rear cooler and burbed the system 3 times before all the air was purged.
Make sure you have the #*$&@ end jacked up when burbing and also remember to remove the coolant cap.

overheating

I think YAMAHA sometimes sleep :drink: (engineers) remember v-max
540 and v-max 4 ? they had 3 TUNNEL exchangers plus a RADIATOR!
i think YAMAHA figures that more horspower needs LESS cooling :drink:
WAKE UP YAMAHA!!! There is no space for a radiator annymore but
they are greatly missed :o|

Back