• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Water pump failure

lakercr

Tech Advisor
2017 LTX LE - out at the lake Sunday, did some easy miles to break in a new belt. Did a few pulls on the lake, and immediately after getting off the gas on my last pull the engine temps went through the roof. I let it cool down for 20 or so and then tried to get it back to the cabin but no luck; temps would climb north of 200 almost instantly.

Towed it back, and did the usual stuff to see if there was maybe some air trapped in the cooling system. I couldn't get any heat at the rear exchanger and decided there was a mechanical failure somewhere. First time the SW has shortened my weekend since new, so I'll cut it some slack!

Dropped it at my dealer yesterday and asked them to pull the water pump. Sure enough, the impeller had let go from the shaft. The shaft/impeller are supposed to turn as a unit, but I can spin the impeller freely while holding the shaft. Don't recall anyone else have this particular failure yet? You can see from the log below how quickly the temp climbed - about 15 seconds and it was over 240f.
AA30EA3C-ECB2-48BE-956F-96F0DFBBD4C7.jpeg
View attachment 152201
B66D87B5-CC3A-40FE-BCD6-C04296757A9B_1_102_o.jpeg
AA30EA3C-ECB2-48BE-956F-96F0DFBBD4C7.jpeg

Last edited:

Wait for it Maybe the water pump had some Cat DNA in it. Well that's what some would say. That sucks man do you have an extended warranty.

My extended warranty ended in December. Not a big deal, the parts are around $55 and maybe an hour all in to back up and running.

China made Yamaha engine, just saying.

At least it has rods in it that have been heat treated. Or so we hope.

Right on, maybe they were made at the same Subaru plant that made the junk 708cc engine that came in some off the atv's and wolverine sxs.

I still maintain that water pumps should never be made of plastic.

Volkswagen started this BS years ago but fools who had their engines blow up go right back out and buy another Volkswagen! I know that guy.

:dunno:

My extended warranty ended in December. Not a big deal, the parts are around $55 and maybe an hour all in to back up and running.

How many miles on the sled when this happened?

Last edited:
I will chime in as my water pump did this on the first TY ride last month. The very same day, another member on this site called me with the very same issue.
When I ordered my replacement pump, the dealer I ordered it from said there have been a lot of water pumps ordered recently...so watch yours.

lakercr is correct, the temp will skyrocket without warning and with my sled, the temp went up to 250F and would not shut down the engine! This is a serious problem as when the cooling wasn't circulating, my temp light was not on at 225F!

Same thing tho as no circulation to the rear heat exchanger.

ClutchMaster, I think I am one of those guy's only it's not with a Volkswagen, if ya know what I mean. :sled1:

I will chime in as my water pump did this on the first TY ride last month. The very same day, another member on this site called me with the very same issue.
When I ordered my replacement pump, the dealer I ordered it from said there have been a lot of water pumps ordered recently...so watch yours.

lakercr is correct, the temp will skyrocket without warning and with my sled, the temp went up to 250F and would not shut down the engine! This is a serious problem as when the cooling wasn't circulating, my temp light was not on at 225F!

Same thing tho as no circulation to the rear heat exchanger.

Were you cruising when it failed, or going pretty fast? You can see from the log that mine failed the moment I let off the throttle from a pull. Don’t know if that’s significant, or just a coincidence.

lakercr is correct, the temp will skyrocket without warning and with my sled, the temp went up to 250F and would not shut down the engine!
No limp mode? I rode with a new Thundercat this year that went into limp mode when we ran out of snow.

Back