• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Water pump failure

Reason why I posted was to see if the sidewinder needs this or does it already have a self bleeding hose on it.
Looking at my waterpump it has a small hose coming off the top of it and going where I can't see.

I think the small one you're looking at probably goes to throttle bodies.
As most of us know, these 998s are relatively tough to bleed to get ALL the air out of them. There are TY threads on this subject with good info on what seems to work.

Who has successfully installed a Dasa billet water pump? I have one that I was planning on installing but then I read about the covers being different between the Wildcat and the Sidewinder. My sled only has 850 miles on it. I don't want to tear it apart if the impeller isn't going to fit.

Who has successfully installed a Dasa billet water pump? I have one that I was planning on installing but then I read about the covers being different between the Wildcat and the Sidewinder. My sled only has 850 miles on it. I don't want to tear it apart if the impeller isn't going to fit.
Anybody?

Hello All, 18 T cat. Stock. 10000 miles. Tiny weep from weep hole for 21 season. My son rode the sled and did not realize how easy these overheat when idling for long periods. Still had coolant in overflow. I let it idle too long and it did not want to cool down. Opened pressure cap and could not see coolant. I lightly blew into overflow to push what as in there to engine. Ran fine. Got back to camp and fully loaded and bled the system. Was fine the rest of trip. I saw more than the usual wetness around weep hole. Ordered seal and shaft just in case. Tore down today. I think loss of coolant from weep was original problem. Second this overheating may be the cause of this failure. See photo. It is tight. But melting has to be the cause.

Attachments

• 20220203_110212.jpg
    20220203_110212.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 151
This is my brother-in-law's 2nd water pump failure in 4000 miles. It was not from overheating. He has installed the the Dasa Racing billet impeller now.

41841.jpeg
41840.jpeg

does shaft come out easy, is this a big job, rather do preventitive maintenance now... rather than break down on long trip.... FN hate being that guy since im the one whos running hard leading pack.
that speed werx bleed.... hmmm what if we add a nipple to the top of the reservoir above the oil tank and run it back to coolant reservoir with a grommet and elbow .. or "T" into hose (36) in parts diagram, sort of like the fuel line return???? would that not work? thoughts

Last edited:
Its not hard. You do have to take all the bolts out of the torque arm so you can rotate it up to get to the bolts on the pump. Also have to put number 3 cylinder at tdc. That way you can remove the pump..

After-market all-metal water pump impeller replacements are NOT the end-all answer to YG3 (Yamaha Genesis 3 cyl) water pump failures. I personally know of at least 8 failures, INCLUDING billet cut impellers that were installed on engines that never had any history of overheating of pump failure - as a preventative measure (that sucked donkyes).

Granted, we run these things hard, typical hit the redline and hold it there to take off for a minute of two, then 6500-7500 RPM for hours on end without letting up until landing, easily 50 - 100 hrs/year, equivalent to 4000 - 7500 sled miles per season.

I guess running a bleed line back up to the burp tank is one way to do it, but this idea of mine is a ball check valve that only allows air to pass. The cheaper ones spittle a bit of juice, maybe a drop or two. Better ones spit less. I built an in-floor hydronic heating system in my house in Michigan and placed several of these throughout the high points in the piping circuits. One failed after a few years and I had to replace it, none of the others leaked. Haven't tried one on an engine yet. If you want tp try this, you might want to isolate the valve from engine vibration, and mill out the inside of the 1" x 1/8" NPT "Sensor Adapter T" to make a cove to help trap steam gasses more efficiently.

For $30 bucks, hey - why not?

visit www.MohawkAero.com

Attachments

• Bleed VALVE.jpg
    Bleed VALVE.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 92
  • Tee Adapter 1x1x 0.125_NPT.jpg
    Tee Adapter 1x1x 0.125_NPT.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
I’ve actually been through 2 water pumps on my 17. One, the seal went on, and the other, i can’t remember . First one went with maybe 2k miles, the 2nd at 7500 miles

These failures are very strange to me. What in world would cause this EXCEPT just p*## poor quality from China. How does an impeller just break like that?!

Back