• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Water pump failure

I put the Speed SXS kit in my XX and its a high quality kit that has everything you need to rebuild the pump. Very nice kit.

I put the Speed SXS kit in my XX and its a high quality kit that has everything you need to rebuild the pump. Very nice kit.
Did you have issues with the factory pump on your xx or did you install the speed sxs kit as a preventive measure? How many miles/hrs do you have on the speed sxs kit? keep us posted as fall approaches if you had good luck with the kit or happen to run into any issues.

My pump was leaking out the weep hose so the mechanical gasket failed. Once I got it apart you could see its design flaws as the parts are built super loose. The Speed kit all the parts fit very tight and it eliminates the pump gear from chucking on the shaft. Only have about 20 miles on rebuild so cant say how its working but so far so good. I only had 800 miles on the buggy when it failed I also lost a stator at 600 miles so I had some bad luck.

I can tell you the Speed its is a bit expensive but it has some well designed parts that come in the kit to replace the Yamaha junk. The whole pump needs new parts not just the impeller.

How much is the kit?

Everything changed the year they sourced to China, was it the 16 Viper that had rod issues? Non heat treated rods as I recall. From that point forward! Same with the Winder primary POS drive clutch! China crap!

I'm going to have ask my budd this weekend on his thoughts to build us a billet water pump setup and sell them, I bet he'll be game.
Any news on this Mike? I am trying to decide whether to do something as preventative maintenance

I find this post daunting with mileages adding up and at the end of last season I went down with a coolant issue. Mind you my temp was up and down like a roller coaster I am hoping due to low coolant as it was leaking. I was able to trace it back to the hard line that connects to the heat exchanger below the header... fingers crossed this was in fact the issue. I hope it wasn’t an issue with the impeller causing it to over heat and puke which caused a mis diagnosis on my end..I guess I will find out shortly as I will be finishing putting it back together this weekend. The hard line when I removed it has three tiny tiny builds up that could have been a pin hole. Any thoughts.

My pump was leaking out the weep hose so the mechanical gasket failed. Once I got it apart you could see its design flaws as the parts are built super loose. The Speed kit all the parts fit very tight and it eliminates the pump gear from chucking on the shaft. Only have about 20 miles on rebuild so cant say how its working but so far so good. I only had 800 miles on the buggy when it failed I also lost a stator at 600 miles so I had some bad luck.

I can tell you the Speed its is a bit expensive but it has some well designed parts that come in the kit to replace the Yamaha junk. The whole pump needs new parts not just the impeller.
I am looking at same type failure on my Viper. Quite a bit has leaked out the weephole over summer. Its a bugger to see without a flashlight and getting right down there. It took mine 19000mi to fail. I suspect you Sidewinder guys with much faster acceleration and probably heat are on a accelerated wear and failure program compared to a mild Viper,Vector or Nytro. Another project!

I got a pic of mine which wasn’t easy. Had to get wife to hit button while I held phone and flashlight. Sucks
15A9B25E-1650-4D68-B4BD-7E578860CB4D.jpeg

Well my exchanger has a hairline crack...wind outta my sails this season just dropped 2k on this thing in bearings, shafts and general wear parts. Great that you get a motor at wot all season long but these chassis are garbage mines been plagued with crappy welds, loose rivets etc etc.

Well my exchanger has a hairline crack...wind outta my sails this season just dropped 2k on this thing in bearings, shafts and general wear parts. Great that you get a motor at wot all season long but these chassis are garbage mines been plagued with crappy welds, loose rivets etc etc.
I feel your pain buddy!

Do you find most of these issues are with tuned sidewinders? Or just mileage is the demon on these sleds?
My 2020 Ltx Le issues last season
1. Rear shock blown under 300km
2. Torsion springs in rear skid sagged out.
3. Turbo bearings went @800km
4. Turbo bolt was missing
5. Constant over heating trail riding , had to run scratchers all the time.

All this in 1500km last year, sled is awesome though. It is stock no tunes or modifications, definitely not sure if worth gambling with adding power.....

Turbo bolt(s) very common.
Myself I lost the bottom spring retainer on my rear shock.
Depending on the day lots of overheating. I believe the noseberg contributes to that.
Sorry I'm not familiar with the noseberg. Can you explain thanks

Lets keep this sled on track guys. Waterpump. While I bitch I know you have to pay to play and the more you play the more it costs. Its the way it is.

Back