• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Water pump failure

My brother-in-law had a water pump failure this season on his tuned 17 ZR9000 as well. I think at around 2500 miles on the sled. Same deal... impeller spun on the shaft.

Last edited:

Yes, overheated and didn't turn on the temp light till the bar graph read 238F°

I replaced the whole water pump with a new Arctic Cat Thunder-cat pump and housing (Cheaper than the Yamaha and had it within a couple days)
Whats the price on that?

Was about $230

That part looks like a sweet solution. Listed at $250. Also they only list fitment for the wildcat, is there a reason it wouldn't work on the winder?
I emailed the seller on eBay and this impeller according to him, will NOT work on the Sidewinder

I emailed the seller on eBay and this impeller according to him, will NOT work on the Sidewinder
I dont see any reason it would not work. I checked the parts diagram for the wildcat and compared it to the thundercat. The impeller and related parts are the same part number. The only part on the diagram that is different is the impeller cover.

When my water pump let go in Val Dor the dealer was also a Cat dealer they had a complete blown engine from Wildcat SXS. I had a choice as the sled was covered under extended warranty to wait for new one which would have taken likely 2 days or take the used water pump from the Wildcat. I don't know about the rest of the world but my time off is far and few between so that meant paying for the used one and be on my way. we did 2800 km trip just before world fell apart and it worked fine. I didn't hold it WOT for long time as we were middle of nowhere. The whole housing and pump was changed. I will be getting a better one this fall

Can anybody confirm that this billet impeller has worked in the stock Sidewinder pump?

I dont see any reason it would not work. I checked the parts diagram for the wildcat and compared it to the thundercat. The impeller and related parts are the same part number. The only part on the diagram that is different is the impeller cover.
I see the same thing.

When my water pump let go in Val Dor the dealer was also a Cat dealer they had a complete blown engine from Wildcat SXS. I had a choice as the sled was covered under extended warranty to wait for new one which would have taken likely 2 days or take the used water pump from the Wildcat. I don't know about the rest of the world but my time off is far and few between so that meant paying for the used one and be on my way. we did 2800 km trip just before world fell apart and it worked fine. I didn't hold it WOT for long time as we were middle of nowhere. The whole housing and pump was changed. I will be getting a better one this fall
This is good info, the pump for the wildcat is quite a bit cheaper to purchase new then the pump for a thundercat. All parts are same but impeller cover has a different number to it. Im not sure why , maybe the wildcat has clearance issues and needs a slightly different cover and it works on the tcat and winders either way???

I plan on ordering one and tackling it later this summer. If your not in a hurry I will post my findings for sure when its complete wether its a go or no-go

I'm curious also, let us know

I plan on ordering one and tackling it later this summer. If your not in a hurry I will post my findings for sure when its complete wether its a go or no-go
I am planning on doing this also, but i have a ton on my plate right now. Somehow i have to squeeze in a weeks worth of sled work into the picture. The list is longer than my stubby arms!

I did a little reading last night on the s x s forums and it seems dasa is on their 4th revision of this billet water pump impeller. It seems that once the impeller was strengthened the shaft would break just before the first hole closest to impeller. That is the reason that speedsxs kit includes a gear. The shaft has no holes for the pins, both sides are machined to accept the pin sort of like a key way and the gear is machined to accept this obviously. Its double the money for this kit but includes all orings and seals and bearing. This stuff would run you about another $75-80 through babbits on top of the $250 for the impeller from dasa. Now the question is........Is this 4th revision impeller from dasa cured of its faults or not? Sounds like the speedsxs kit has 2 years of testing into it and no bad reports I could find but also will say the information available on either of these options is limited.

Back