• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Water Skipping

4jwv said:
I know the older ZX style SD's are awesome on water..but I've heard that the Rev's aren't. I haven't seen any Rev's on the water so it may all be talk (SRX's are supposed to be bad too...but they're fine)...
The revs are one of the best on water.

I have had nytro and vectors across open water many times.I usaully hit it about 20-25 mph and the give it they wheelie right across it.I even turned in water with the 4 stroke not a 180 but 45 degree angles.

V-Maxes have air vents under the nose on the bottom side (maybe some other yammies as well) where spray from the skis can enter and soak the belt. Some Revs will let water in the side door where the belt is. My ZX long track was one of the best water sleds I've seen. BUT..nothing will save you from going down if you suffer an ill-timed mechanical breakdown such as a belt breaking etc.

In the same night I both successfully and unsuccessfully crossed 3/10 of a mile of open water on my Apex GT. Once dried out my GPS works fine and the track log was saved. I hit the water at about 20mph and accelerated to over 50mph before making it to the other side. I decided to go back (long story) and left the edge of the ice from a dead stop and sank quite quickly. I had crossed shorter distances most of the same day with no problems with running starts and I won't be afraid on my new Apex to cross water as long as I hit it moving.

The Rip Saws arent as good on water, for sure. I've crossed water many times, but don't like it. Thise of you who have tracks more like the Doo's will have better luck changing speeds, but my experience has been that once you start to slow down, it's rather nerve racking to accelerate.

Bad idea, they take in water through the exhaust holes in the bulkhead. That water then gets onto the secondary, causing the belt to slip in the secondary and pushes the belt to the top of the primary, hitting the cover. The engine redlines at this point and feels more then just hitting the brakes over the water.

If your going to run, seal up all the holes along the plastic/bulkead with silicon and make a plate to block water from getting onto the secondary.

Also, my attak is sick at water wheelies!

DoktorC said:
Ya my Vmax is the sled that put the fear in me lol...The guy on the blue Apex did that same stretch on his '92 Exciter...no fear!
Balls of steel!
The ExII had a steep track approach angle and added about 25 pounds over earlier Exciters, plus they have absolutely HORRIBLE seal around the steering and side panel for keeping water out. I've hit water a few times on my '87 (not intentionally), and it goes well, but it has a super low approach angle and weighs under 425 (yeah, a few bits have been cut off).

ya.. i was playing in the ditches today and i dont like the rip saw at all i got a 2003 f 5 and its better becuase it has a diffrent track but other than that rock on yammie love it!
i even got the skis outta the water which was amazing i didnt think it would but it must be the power i love my sled

LazyBastard said:
Balls of steel!
The ExII had a steep track approach angle and added about 25 pounds over earlier Exciters, plus they have absolutely HORRIBLE seal around the steering and side panel for keeping water out. I've hit water a few times on my '87 (not intentionally), and it goes well, but it has a super low approach angle and weighs under 425 (yeah, a few bits have been cut off).

Him (the blue apex guy) and I start water skipping when we were around 12 on GT SnoRacer's lol. I'm not joking..we lived across the lake from each other and we'd "GT" so late in the year that there would be a gap between the ice and shore that we'd skip...then throw the GT back to land and jump the gap lol. If our Mom's only knew!!!

The Exciter's (both versions) were very good on the water..much better then my SRV or Vmax lol. These guys used to run far back in the day and like now they were box stock sleds. It seems every sled these guys run is fine on the water....it can't be luck after this many lol.

I've had my Apex across about 500 yards of water and I started at 25 MPH and by the time I got to the other side I was going 80.

DoktorC said:
I think Dorset is the benchmark around Ontario's cottage country...I don't know of another spot that as long and there isn't a spot that is so well publisized!!!
Great pictures. :Rockon:

The funny thing is that I recognize that crossing from when I was a little lad and our family had friends that owned a cabin just outside of Dorset. Beautiful area. Any videos from that crossing?

I see that someone sank a Doo at Dorset this weekend.

Attachments

• Easter Wknd '08 131.jpg
    Easter Wknd '08 131.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 162
  • Easter Wknd '08 129.jpg
    Easter Wknd '08 129.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 127
  • Easter Wknd '08 137.jpg
    Easter Wknd '08 137.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 156
  • Easter Wknd '08 135.jpg
    Easter Wknd '08 135.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 136
Swiss Sledder said:
DoktorC said:
I think Dorset is the benchmark around Ontario's cottage country...I don't know of another spot that as long and there isn't a spot that is so well publisized!!!
Great pictures. :Rockon:

The funny thing is that I recognize that crossing from when I was a little lad and our family had friends that owned a cabin just outside of Dorset. Beautiful area. Any videos from that crossing?

I do have some video actually...I just need to stitch it together. I'll post a link when I get it done!

That's the second sunk Doo I've see in two weeks...

Back