• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What are sure signs your track needs to be replaced

giddy up go

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2011 apex er
Can some of you people tell me sure signs if my track needs to replaced or not. I lost two studs out of it now (pulled outs),. The outer layer of the rubber looks like it's peeled off the track and you can see the threads just a hairline(maybe 1/8 inch wide) at the seam of one of the stud pull outs. Other than this seam it looks like new. Oh ya it only has 3500 miles on this 2007 Apex.
I don't mind replacing the track if I need to but one the other hand I don't want to waste my money replacing it if I don't heed to. Your imput is appreciated. :jump:

You start losing studs time to slow down & listen for the ticking sound before track explodes. Time to change to ice ripper...Who wants to slow down & worry about track or put a stud thru heat exchanger?

bottlerocket said:
1 tear out and IMHO its all done. You dont want to lose a track at any speed...

Yep i lost one at just over 100 mph on a river 20 miles from home (worst case scenario all around) That sled never moved again it was so torn up, and my jacket has tears in it from the studs hitting me in the back (just a piece to remind me to never be dumb with a track again). If you are starting to see cords, and with 3500 miles its time for a new one.

track

I replaced my track at 16,000 miles. Every 3,000 miles is a lot of money, and a tough job. Especially re studding.

my opinion is that if you are posting it on here that you are thinking it needs to be replaced. id error on the side of caution.

If you need to tighten your track often after its already broke in, that's a clear sign that the inner cording of track is slowly letting go even if it looks normal. Pull outs for no reason is also a sign of track stretching. Your not going to get a flat tire so if you get good use out of a track and your starting to have problems, do yourself a favor and replace before your stranded.

Dan

Here are a couple pics of the track

Here are a couple Pictures What do you think.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    456.1 KB · Views: 661
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    479 KB · Views: 464
track

I have scene tracks with as little as 1000kms on it and it has the same marks...I didn't consider the track worn out...just bought a used ripsaw with 1600 kms and it looks the same...And no way is the track worn out. Stud tearouts do happen, depending where the stud tore out and how big the hole is will dictate whether the track should be replaced..

Re: track

Newfie Apex said:
I have scene tracks with as little as 1000kms on it and it has the same marks...I didn't consider the track worn out...just bought a used ripsaw with 1600 kms and it looks the same...And no way is the track worn out. Stud tearouts do happen, depending where the stud tore out and how big the hole is will dictate whether the track should be replaced..

I agree, it looks fine as is just normal wear and is a long way off from being replaced imo.

That ain't nothing. I have a stud tear out that has me concerned. I really do not want to spend the money on a new track and replacement studs. However being on the edge of the track scares me a little.

The tear out happened near the end of last season and I probably put a couple hundred miles on after the tear out. I was lucky that it tore out cleanly and did not stay partially attached and take out the heat exchanger.

I am hoping to get another season out of this track which has 7400 miles by keeping a close eye on it. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• DSC01298.JPG
    DSC01298.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 477
Blue Dave said:
That ain't nothing. I have a stud tear out that has me concerned. I really do not want to spend the money on a new track and replacement studs. However being on the edge of the track scares me a little.

The tear out happened near the end of last season and I probably put a couple hundred miles on after the tear out. I was lucky that it tore out cleanly and did not stay partially attached and take out the heat exchanger.

I am hoping to get another season out of this track which has 7400 miles by keeping a close eye on it. What do you guys think?

I have heard these guys do great work BD, might be an option for you to check out if they ship.
http://www.trackrepair.ca/

Back