• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What carbides do I need for tuner skis?

I bought this sled last year but the carbides are totally shot. What do I need to order for carbides for it? Do I need a set of 4 inch carbides and a set of 2 inch? Sled pushes in corners but I’m not surprised considering there is about nothing left.
I ran them for years, my experience has been to get the biggest carbide possible with square bar on both sides.

If you are going to keep your Tuners, depending upon your budget for carbides, Snow Trackers makes carbides for the Tuners. I really do not like anything about the Tuner skis, and have replaced them on all my sleds except the most recent one, a Sidewinder LTX. Because I had a big trip coming up at the time I bought the sled, I did not have time to swap out the Tuners, so I took a chance on the Snow Trackers. That was over 5,000 miles ago, and the Tracker/Tuner skis are still on my sled. If you are a trail rider, forget all the expensive aftermarket skis with all the bells and whistles to stop push and prevent darting, etc. The Tracker/Tuner combo is easy to steer, with no darting, and they have little or no push under most conditions. The 5,000+ miles I have on my Sidewinder have been the most enjoyable miles I have ever had on a snowmobile, and I don't want to change a thing.

If you are going to keep your Tuners, depending upon your budget for carbides, Snow Trackers makes carbides for the Tuners. I really do not like anything about the Tuner skis, and have replaced them on all my sleds except the most recent one, a Sidewinder LTX. Because I had a big trip coming up at the time I bought the sled, I did not have time to swap out the Tuners, so I took a chance on the Snow Trackers. That was over 5,000 miles ago, and the Tracker/Tuner skis are still on my sled. If you are a trail rider, forget all the expensive aftermarket skis with all the bells and whistles to stop push and prevent darting, etc. The Tracker/Tuner combo is easy to steer, with no darting, and they have little or no push under most conditions. The 5,000+ miles I have on my Sidewinder have been the most enjoyable miles I have ever had on a snowmobile, and I don't want to change a thing.
That's great advice WV. I should have mentioned that aside from installing the biggest carbides that are available, the ST's are the best setup on the tuner.

I don't want the tuner ski's so it doesn't make any sense to invest in good/excellent carbides unique (I believe) for that ski. Can I buy $200 carbides for the tuner skis and remove them in install the same carbide in a C&A or curves type ski for next year? I don't think so .... please correct me but carbides a unique for that ski.

I have a brand new set of Cat skis,Never seen snow,I will sell you for 200.00 with stock split carbide. Only problem is green loops.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm going to pass and get Pilots for various reasons

I don't want the tuner ski's so it doesn't make any sense to invest in good/excellent carbides unique (I believe) for that ski. Can I buy $200 carbides for the tuner skis and remove them in install the same carbide in a C&A or curves type ski for next year? I don't think so .... please correct me but carbides a unique for that ski.
Keep the Tuners and turn some wrenches so they work for you.

Wannaviper, a few questions, does your Sidewinder have the ARCS front end? I assume you backed off the front suspension shock preloads as per installation instructions? Did you adjust the front track shock?
Thanks

I agree , go with the Snowtrackers .
7,000 + miles and just put on my second set.

The title of this thread said what carbides for tuner skis. The best set up for the stock tuner skis are the Snow Trackers with out a doubt the only thing better is the Cat ski with Snow Trackers. Like I said before you will get a lot of different opinions on this you can listen to some of these guys and get curves,pilots, and c and a or one of the others out there but they will not out preform the Snow Trackers on The stock skis.The Snow Trackers track straight don't dart and will not push in the corners with very lite steering. I was one of the non believers until I broke down and bought a set, now I would not be with out them.

Since the question was on the tuners skis, after trying many different combinations, I have had good success using 6" carbide with square host bar on the inside and standard no carbide runners on the outside. Since the carbide only helps on hard surfaces such as ice, concrete etc. I saw no reason to have carbides everywhere. It is the keels of the ski that runs and grips in good trail snow so the no carbide runner is just to protect the plastic keel when not in good snow. Having said that, I do run a weld of hardsurfacing bead on the no carbide runner just to help protect it and extend the life when on gravel and other questionable surfaces. Does it push in corners, well sure when the snow is soft, but what sled doesn't under loose snow conditions. However, on regular trail condition packed trails, it works well. Does it work as well as Snowtrackers, don't know, never had Snowtrackers, but in loose snow not sure Snowtrackers would not push anyway. If there is nothing firm for the trackers to grab, then how are they better, loose is loose. Anyway that's my two cents worth.

Snow Trackers do not push in any kind of snow. I have tried numerous combinations with the tuner ski's and without Snow Trackers the only thing you can do in loose snow is slow your entry into the corners down. I know they are expensive but they work and I got about 5000 miles on mine and they are not showing much wear.

Back