• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What is the spec adjustment on the exup valve

another thing, when its at position 0 it is to the left at about 10 oclock and very close to the "1" that is etched in the motor. When it opens to 205 its at about the 5oclock to 6oclock position and then goes back to rest in the first position I stated which is 0. Is this correct as well?

I should note that I am lining up perfectly when the key is cycled now.

yamahahaapex said:
where the kilometeres are displayed in diagnostic mode its sitting in position "55" it opens to 205 and settles to 199. It then closes to 0. When I cycle the key the position slot is even with the bolt hole compared to how it first looked with it almost being out an entire slot to the rear of the sled. To anyone with experience working on exup did you have these findings?

I just checked mine. It's at 53, cycle the valve and it goes to 188 and settles at 185 (open). Then back to 0 (closed). The slot is perfect with the hole when I turn power on. The more slack in the cables the more it will show when it opens. But how much slack should it have?

What peak rpm are you seeing with the valve opening to 205? I assume the number represents degrees. So if 0 is closed would 180 be full open? Anything above 180 is the valve starting to close again? Lets see some of these numbers and peak rpm's people are hitting and do a little comparing.

yeah im seeing 10,800 but i never took note of wwhat it was before i started adjusting. i think if my memory serves me right that if the slot was towards the back of the machine by a hole that the valve opening number was higher when i was adjusting.

Interesting thing though is that if i moved the plate by hand and cycled the key it wouldnt go back to its proper spot, but putting in diag mode and letting the plate spin front to back and cycling the key it went back to the proper spot bang on.

Got to get a little more info before i settle on what numbers i should be seeing. Might go down to the dealership and get one in diag mode and see what it reads tomorrow and what those numbers may mean exactly.

I think the number's you are seeing on the gauge pod is the amount of movement the servo motor is making in either direction and is irrelevant to adjustment. The adjustment only changes the pulley location and with no censor on the pulley or valve the computer has no information on actual valve location. Yamaha does not seam to care much about the diagnostic's for it other than just to varify it's operation. Diagnostics 54 check is actually a separate check from setting the valve. You only need to turn the key on to check or set the valve.

kviper said:
I think the number's you are seeing on the gauge pod is the amount of movement the servo motor is making in either direction and is irrelevant to adjustment. The adjustment only changes the pulley location and with no censor on the pulley or valve the computer has no information on actual valve location. Yamaha does not seam to care much about the diagnostic's for it other than just to varify it's operation. Diagnostics 54 check is actually a separate check from setting the valve. You only need to turn the key on to check or set the valve.

Your right, but im wondering if the numbers that come up reference to whether the cables are tighter than they should be (3mm slack) or a bit too loose resulting in improper opening and closing of it. Have to give it a go with the tank hooked up and see what i find

checked a couple new 2012s out and without actually looking at the exup and just in diag mode its sitting at 55. 55 is just a hair towards the back and will not fit my tool in.

53 is the opposite so 54 is the magic number and the neat thing is that all you gotta do is throw in diag mode and verify this number and you know your in the right area for calibration without tearing it apart. the numbers i read in diag mode were from 0 at closed and up to 176 open. both '12s were like this and i also noted where the adjustment locknuts were placed as well. they are at about 10 threads down the shaft until it hits the lock nut and those are the reading they are getting.

im at about 5 threads out and getting 194, i might tighten a tad more yet but try to keep it in the 180s.

sx7001 said:
yamahahaapex said:
where the kilometeres are displayed in diagnostic mode its sitting in position "55" it opens to 205 and settles to 199. It then closes to 0. When I cycle the key the position slot is even with the bolt hole compared to how it first looked with it almost being out an entire slot to the rear of the sled. To anyone with experience working on exup did you have these findings?

I just checked mine. It's at 53, cycle the valve and it goes to 188 and settles at 185 (open). Then back to 0 (closed). The slot is perfect with the hole when I turn power on. The more slack in the cables the more it will show when it opens. But how much slack should it have?

3mm of slack only in the cables, i think where you are you should leave it. ive got 196 and im going to bring it down to yours to feel more comfortable.

yamahahaapex said:
sx7001 said:
yamahahaapex said:

3mm of slack only in the cables, i think where you are you should leave it. ive got 196 and im going to bring it down to yours to feel more comfortable.

I show 8 threads on both adjusters.

My cables have next to no slack and the valve is lined up perfect. I put a mark on each adjuster and during tomorrow's ride I will add a little slack to each cable and see if it makes any diff.

thats a good write up, i bought an 09 r6 last year and its got about 1200kms on it so i wonder how much info i could use from this to help in the adjustment of the exup on the bike. is there a yamaha streetbike forum similar to the ty site that anyone knows of?

it wont be hard to find out exactly where the adjustment cables are but having a site to talk about bikes i find would be just as valuable as this site is to snowmobiling.

On another note, weve yet to have any snow yet so bring on the biking season!

Google R1 or R6 exup adjustment, lots of info.

Back