• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What is the spec adjustment on the exup valve

it would be nice if this was added to the apex/attak frequently asked questions in repair for the future. Ive made a hard copy but it would be great to find it easily in there.

What should the numbers be at center (i had between 53-55) Open (i had between 170-210)...closed ( between 0-2)

Also is there a tric to get it centered...everytime i move it the next time its off...

See videos (click on the pictures to play video's)

Daranello said:
Kaz said:
looks okay to me, close enough to be centered.

But did we figure out do the numbers on the dash mean anything?

I never notice the #'s in the display, was paying more attention to the EXUP actuation. Your video shows it stroking fully, just as it should in the diagnostic mode, and should return to the center position when the keys is turned off. Everything looks good to me it that video.
Kaz

54 open and 176-180 closed. it will not go back to perfect position if you move by hand but once you cycle key it will. Thats what you want. On a stock '12 on the floor it was reading 54 open, 176 closed.

bring down the 199 a bit. at 55 your as good as you can be as that little bit wont make a difference. As I found out before with it reading 54 that is the "perfect" number since the tool can fit in right. 176-180 is where I am and it runs like a rocket

Daranello said:
Kaz said:
looks okay to me, close enough to be centered.

But did we figure out do the numbchecked a couple new 2012s out and without actually looking at the exup and just in diag mode its sitting at 55. 55 is just a hair towards the back and will not fit my tool in.

53 is the opposite so 54 is the magic number and the neat thing is that all you gotta do is throw in diag mode and verify this number and you know your in the right area for calibration without tearing it apart. the numbers i read in diag mode were from 0 at closed and up to 176 open. both '12s were like this and i also noted where the adjustment locknuts were placed as well. they are at about 10 threads down the shaft until it hits the lock nut and those are the reading they are getting.

im at about 5 threads out and getting 194, i might tighten a tad more yet but try to keep it in the 180s.

see when I get it to 184....when I cycle the key after it stops on the left it resets perfect,....BUT if i cycle the key and have it reset from the right it does NOT line up....the only way I can get it to line up in both dirrections is to have it at 200 and settle in at 191....

Have you tried it both ways???

on the R1 Bike there are two "stoppers" for the EXUP valve. One at the 12 o'clock position and the other at the 3 o'clock position. you heard as the bottoming out sound. I'm pretty sure the movement of the EXUP valve is a tiny more than 90 degrees but not by much.

Found this post on the R1 site

I finaly put the EXUP valv of the 2007 R1 to the test to see what it really does...
I found out it has a total movement range of 100 degrees.

However, the biggest surprise was that Its actual work range is only 20 degrees.

As soon as the engine fires up the EXUP open to 70deg and stays there at idle (1200rpm) and is fully open at 3250rpm and above... That's all it does.
No difference if engine braking, which gears are selected, warm, cold, pulled clutch, brake applied, nothing, just the rpm moves it.

In the same process i removed the EXUP butterflies and put in special made plugs where the shaft bearings where before to get a flush surface on the inside of the pipe.
I felt absolutely no difference, at least not on the negative side.

Think of it like this, the engine run at 3250rpm and the EXUP is now fully open, how much exh..gas must the pipe let through at 13500rpm without restricting too much??
The tiny volume of exh..gas the engine produce between 1200rpm and 3250 must be far less than the <20 to 0% restriction the valve make in that span.

I won't draw any conclusions of this, just present the facts.
(-07 R1, European model)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMrPxmIn ... r_embedded

EXUPdia.jpg

exupmaintenance05.jpg

^^NOTICE THE TWO STOPPERS

yamahahaapex said:
bring down the 199 a bit. at 55 your as good as you can be as that little bit wont make a difference. As I found out before with it reading 54 that is the "perfect" number since the tool can fit in right. 176-180 is where I am and it runs like a rocket

Where did you see the 55 #?

I actually paid attention to the display last night as I cycled the EXUP, went as high as the 160's and down to 6, but no where did I see a reading for when it's lign up with the hole.

Kaz

Daranello said:
Play my video above. You'll see the 54 at the start...with the numbers you have I'm guesting you off????

I see now, re did again and prior to cycle it, I have 52-53, 175 and 4, good enough. She do at least 200 kph over an cliff with 100 mph tail wind lol now.

All kidding a side, the best I have seen is in the 170+ kph range, the XTX's are faster believe or not, buddies XTX gets up into the 180"s kph, go figure spinning a 144" track.

The 128" could use more clearance in the tunnel, I don't know want Yamaha was thinking, too loose a track and your up against the tunnel protectors which scrubs off top end.

Kaz

Back