• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What to use on my 2021 Stryker ski

I dont have snow trackers, but I would like to offer an experience with them. By brother inlaw has them on his btx, and the one day we were riding fast on the open prarie. I was right behind him and we were coming to a typical 90 degree turn at the edge of a field. All I Remeber seeing is a huge cloud of snow with black pieces flying out of it and then my brother laying on the ground with the sled 50y from him laying on its side. After analyzing the snow conditions, his riding style, and what we saw on the trail, I am confident in saying that what happened is he was coming into the corner and something happened, and he blipped the throttle lifting the front skiis, and when the skiis went back to the ground they were turned, leading to the sled flipping to its side. He is one lucky guy who only walked away with a severe concussion that still is affecting his every day life a year later.

Obviously there are a ton of happy snow tracker customers, and there is no way I would tell somebody to not get them, but cornering like you are on rails on a snowmobile has its downside like the example I provided above. I like to turn aggressively just like anybody out there, but honestly believe there needs to be some take and give with the ski/skag, and if you take away the skidding in the corner, something else has to give.

Just trying to share my thoughts on the matter, as they are real, not hypothetical.

I'm wanting to caution you guys about Aggressive SnowTrackers on Cat skis.

First I LOVE aggressive SnowTrackers on the old Yamaha skis and on the Doo skis, IMO there is nothing better out there, however I HATE them on the Cat skis. I feel they make the sled unstable with the Cat skis. I tried them on my old 2012 Cat turbo and I had a 9000 in here last year that the guy had just put a new set of Aggressive SnowTrackers on. In my opinion the mfgr missed the balance on the placement of the trackers on the Cat ski. Riding that Cat 9000 here last season I had to keep a death grip on the bars it was so unstable. I feel like the trackers are mounted too far forward on the Cat ski and want to steer the sled on their own, grab and try to tip the sled over. I experienced this on my old 12 and almost had a get off. I took them off and went to stock Cat stagered dually, much more stable. If the Strike ski has the same pattern as Cat be careful using Trackers on them.

If too much carbide is ahead of the spindles centerline this is how any carbide will act. Typically you want 55% or more sitting behind the spindle centerline to keep steering neutral. If more carbide than 55% gets in front of that centerline is where things get unstable, just a FYI. Myself I would never run Aggressive SnowTrackers on the Cat ski unless the mfgr changes things up and moves the wearbar back on the ski further. On the Doo skis the Trackers are perfect and not even close to unstable, you can in fact run single handed on the bars.
Hmmmm.... At the end of day it comes down to how the sleds suspension is setup as it has drastic affects on traction control , there are so many variables that have influence on ride control. Rider weight, positioning, track specs.... Etc... You can have "death grip" experiences on whatever traction control you install.... It has to be rider customized.... There is no off shelf always will work solution. Front and rear traction control hardware have to match the rider and sled,hence suspension setup is key to have a good safe handling sled.
I personally run aggressive sno trackers, which I can adjust to either push in the corners or carve through with purpose.
Suspension setup geometry is key!
Cheers

Hmmmm.... At the end of day it comes down to how the sleds suspension is setup as it has drastic affects on traction control , there are so many variables that have influence on ride control. Rider weight, positioning, track specs.... Etc... You can have "death grip" experiences on whatever traction control you install.... It has to be rider customized.... There is no off shelf always will work solution. Front and rear traction control hardware have to match the rider and sled,hence suspension setup is key to have a good safe handling sled.
I personally run aggressive sno trackers, which I can adjust to either push in the corners or carve through with purpose.
Cheers
I can assure aggressive sno trackers on Cat skis will cause "death grip" feelings at times. And the reason for this is exactly as Mike says> to much carbide forward of spindle.. Absolutely many factors for handling but Cat skis and AGRESSIVE sno trackers are not a great marriage. And believe it or not I disagree with Mike at times, but it seems as though your trying to provoke because you guys cant agree on what spark is better? Cheers

I can assure aggressive sno trackers on Cat skis will cause "death grip" feelings at times. And the reason for this is exactly as Mike says> to much carbide forward of spindle.. Absolutely many factors for handling but Cat skis and AGRESSIVE sno trackers are not a great marriage. And believe it or not I disagree with Mike at times, but it seems as though your trying to provoke because you guys cant agree on what spark is better? Cheers
Hello, reread my response slowly to fully comprehend my position on traction/steering control.
Cheers

What skis? We like details

Cheers
Totally agree here!!
I been running aggressive trackers since 2009 (since 2014 on procross chassis)
Set up is key ! Skis MUST be parallel and trackers centered on ski.
I alway start by loading the center front skid spring until skis are light and push in the corners.
Then lossen the front skid shock 1 turn at a time until you find the sweet spot ( railing corners, and light steering.
I assume the Stryker skis is very similar to the single keel cat ski so set up would be the same.

Cat ski

Suspension setup is key as I stated before..... But it's the skag /depth and not the carbide insert unless your cornering always on glare ice....
It's about setup, every traction/steering control hardware has to be adjusted for the common variables that will affect the output. It will never be perfect as conditions dictate the outcome, but if you understand suspension geometry and your abilities to ride, then you can dial it in pretty close to whatever hardware you choose to use.
But to think that your sled is setup from dealer delivery to a optimum setup and just throw whatever popular traction device on it, is going to make your riding experience optimal is clearly a pipe dream. You need to read the sled's feedback and adjust accordingly till it is dialed in to your comfort style of riding...

I actually run Aggressive Trackers on my Winder with single keel Doo Race skis and love them, and I've ran Aggressive SnoTrackers on my Doos for years along with my old Apexs. Suspension setting on any of these sleds made no difference on the handling or I'll say "death grip" needed with them needed on the Cat skis. Typically you can ride Trackers "one handed" with any suspension setup, they should always steer easily in normal snow. I set the suspension for ride and never ever get concerned with hard steering, darting or push. Typically I run MORE ski pressure using them as I like the sled to transfer less with big power keeping the skis on the ground and steer the machine where I want it going, not the point and shoot or wheelie happy machine some guys like.

I could go full light up front or have full weight on the skis yet they always still steered light, but I've never experienced the fear or feel of needing a "death grip" running them like I have on the Cat skis. The balance for and aft is just "off" on them on the Cat ski, I'm just warning the guys that might try them on the strike ski if they are a copy of the Cat ski to be careful. I myself wouldn't run them on a Cat ski with what I've experienced.

We have all read about they guys crashing their 2011 Apex using the SnoTrackers on them, but what many don't know is the 2011 ski had the same bolt pattern on them as the "old" Yamaha ski, but the mounting point had been moved forward for 2011. Well, they put the old SnowTrackers on and because the mounting had been moved forward, they became unstable. The ski now ended up steering itself and bam. Those crashes were the outcome. Many scratched their heads because the Trackers work so well on their old Apexs, but unknowingly put the old trackers on because they bolted up, not knowing ultimately the carbides ended up too far forward Maning things unstable until just the right moment. Putting Aggressive Trackers on a Cat ski is IMO just about as bad and really unstable, maybe not as bad as the 2011 old pre-2011 carbides on the 2011 skis for the Apex, still bad.

Bottom line is the Aggressive SnowTrackers sit too far forward for neutral steering on the Cat skis no matter the setup. If the Strike ski is the same as the Cat skis, be careful using them. I'd recommend using Aggressive SnowTrackers on any of the the Doo skis, they work wonderful on them.

Last edited:
A lot of good advice. Thank you. I will have to think about what to try. Stock set up sucks with 193 studs.

A lot of good advice. Thank you. I will have to think about what to try. Stock set up sucks with 192 studs

58A96FBA-0704-4935-8AAC-75F320CADBD6.jpeg
B4C8BA0C-70D4-473B-B7F1-EE29DC229CE4.jpeg
26A1627E-1EB3-4A3F-965A-CCECA84A08D2.jpeg

Back