• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Whats the best super charger controller??

MrSled

Site Admin/CEO
Staff member
Website
www.totallyamaha.com
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2020 Sidewinder SRX
Whats the best bang for your buck??

I am not happy with the MPI unit, I am looking at a RB3 or a Power Commander with add on needed to control boost and timing... anyone else have ideas??

the other thing to consider is on trail adjustability the rb3 is nice but you need a laptop to tune that can be a pain when out on the trail

spddmon said:
the other thing to consider is on trail adjustability the rb3 is nice but you need a laptop to tune that can be a pain when out on the trail

I was hoping to tune this thing in on the Dyno and get the map and fuel delivery as spot on as I can.

The biggest downfall with the gems for me was it gets wet so easily i ruined another one last week :o| Im thinking about switching to rb3 i only ride at sealever so i shouldn't need to adjust it after its setup.

I found the boondocker box to be the best and most adjustable on the trail and was bulletproof for the 7000 miles that I used it now my buddy uses it on his stage 2 S/C with great results. If you want to play with timing I would use the PC111 but it will be alot more tuning and you will need a laptop to make changes. If you get your hands on a boondocker I will be able to give you a base set up for your sled, just need to know how much boost you are running and if you have a head shim or not.

stone88 said:
I found the boondocker box to be the best and most adjustable on the trail and was bulletproof for the 7000 miles that I used it now my buddy uses it on his stage 2 S/C with great results. If you want to play with timing I would use the PC111 but it will be alot more tuning and you will need a laptop to make changes. If you get your hands on a boondocker I will be able to give you a base set up for your sled, just need to know how much boost you are running and if you have a head shim or not.

Where can I get a Boon Docker??, I am running 10lbs with head shim. Will this give me the best fuel economy for trail riding too?

Unfortunatly 10# on a S/C and fuel economy dont go hand in hand, you can expect 80-90 miles to a tank but if your on it alot even less. There are a few used one's out there but you can call boondocker and see if they have some new one's in stock.. I will check with my buddy and see if he wants to part with it as he is talking about going turbo.

stone88 said:
Unfortunatly 10# on a S/C and fuel economy dont go hand in hand, you can expect 80-90 miles to a tank but if your on it alot even less. There are a few used one's out there but you can call boondocker and see if they have some new one's in stock.. I will check with my buddy and see if he wants to part with it as he is talking about going turbo.

I would like to see 10 to 12 MPG being gentle ....I dont think thats to unreasonable.

MrSled said:
I would like to see 10 to 12 MPG being gentle ....I don't think that's to unreasonable.

Tom,

I had a hard time getting that on my blown RX 1 on 5.5 lbs being gentle. 10 yes, 12 no.

We just finished the build two weeks ago my former 06 Apex GT with a MPI Stage 1 and the new owner is running 6.5 lbs. Not getting near close to 10 to 12 MP per US G. Maybe 10 miles to a Canuck Gallon. Now mind you we are still tuning it and have been running it a little harder than normal to test things out.

That being said, I have owned a few 4 strokes and have not found an Apex yet that would come within 1.5 MPG of a RX 1 or Warrior.

Stone88 is not the first to say they get a lot thirstier on 10 lbs.

Oh yeah, we are are having a hard time achieving perfection with the Gems. Got a small pop/miss under hard acceleration from a standing start.

Dave

Riceburner said:
MrSled said:
I would like to see 10 to 12 MPG being gentle ....I don't think that's to unreasonable.

Tom,

I had a hard time getting that on my blown RX 1 on 5.5 lbs being gentle. 10 yes, 12 no.

We just finished the build two weeks ago my former 06 Apex GT with a MPI Stage 1 and the new owner is running 6.5 lbs. Not getting near close to 10 to 12 MP per US G. Maybe 10 miles to a Canuck Gallon. Now mind you we are still tuning it and have been running it a little harder than normal to test things out.

That being said, I have owned a few 4 strokes and have not found an Apex yet that would come within 1.5 MPG of a RX 1 or Warrior.

Stone88 is not the first to say they get a lot thirstier on 10 lbs.

Oh yeah, we are are having a hard time achieving perfection with the Gems. Got a small pop/miss under hard acceleration from a standing start.

Dave

I was going to send the Gem back to MPI and tell them to rework a few things to try and get some better results... Maybe a PCIII with some ad on might be a better bet.

It might be. I'm just getting started with the fuelie's so I can not give a solid informed opinion. Sorry.

Stone88 has some serious time working with blown sleds I am told and I have also been told by a reliable source he knows his stuff. Time this thread is around for awhile I am sure you will have some good info to help you make a decision

Gems is definitely fussy to tune and sometimes seems to go a little wacky. Not a great combo.

RX 1 seems like a piece of cake compared to an Apex. Sometimes new Technology is not better or easier to use.

If I boost the 2011 Apex I may try the new MCX Turbo this time.

However out on a lake two weeks ago; my bone Stock 2011 SE, my former SC RX 1 and my former SC Apex all GPS ed 170 to 172 KPH on glare ice in 1/4 mile or so. I may just stay close to stock with the 2011 Apex. Its a runner. Stock E-tecs and 800 R's are not a problem over 500'.

Dave

Back