• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Whats' the best type of lock for trailers?

Frostbite

TY 4 Stroke God
I have about had it with frozen locks on my enclosed snowmobile trailer (actually it could apply to any trailer). I live in an area that seems to hover around freezing most of the time. There's a constant thaw/freeze cycle going on and the roads turn into a sloppy mess. I started out with your run of the mill Master locks. They were frozen and usually full of snow and semi frozen with road grunge when I'd try to get in to the trailer. So, out comes the lighter and an attempt to thaw the locks. I have nearly broken keys in the process. If it's windy forget it.
Ok, so I decided to buy the new master blue plastic covered locks. They have a snap cover on the bottom of the lock over the key hole and I really thought they'd be the answer by keeping the grunge out of the key holes. Nope! They seem to somehow attract and hold moisture which in turn freezes. Out comes the lighter again and now I have melted plastic and bent keys again.
Ok, now I have 2 strikes. I now have rolling tumbler type combination locks on there. Honestly they seem to be the best compromise so far. I can get them to roll if heated slightly. There's no key to brake. The only down side is in the dark I need a flashlight. So, are these combination locks as good as it gets for this application or is there something better out there? Thanks. PB

PS: I will be buying one of those small butane torches on my next trip to town too. That may be my best answer (except when using the plastic coated locks).

As PB knows I am having the same damned problem. Someone must have the answer!!

I am using the covered Master locks with no problems thus far, but they are obviously not working for you. Maybe I'm just lucky thus far, but being from MN it certainly does freeze here. I use three of them on the trailer (2 for the clamps and one for the ramp) and a triton hitch pin lock as well. The hitch pin lock does tend to freeze and I replaced the one I used to use to lock my ramp as it was always a problem.

I hope my covered Master locks keep working, but you have made me nervous now.

I have always used Master locks, never had a problem. I Have 2 on my trailer cover 1 on the coupler and 1 for my 6 ft cable all keyed together. I do use a lot of WD40. I spry them every chance I get. And here in Michigan the roads, trucks, trailers and every other vehicle get real sloppy and thats on a good day. Maybe its the WD40, but I've never had a problem.
Ok now watch tonight they will freeze

I use American Lock padlocks that I got from a locksmith shop. The tumbler part is made of solid brass as well as the main body with a stailess steel shackle. Brass does not corrode like the the others do and it carries a lifetime warranty and the locksmith can rekey it. I also carry a propane torch with a self ignitor as a backup. I would recommend visiting your local locksmith as they will have a wide variety of locks. It also helps to lube your lock with a good quality lube such as something with graphite or teflon such as Tri-Flow.

There are 2 types of covered Master locks. The blue ones with a screw-in cover, and the yellow ones (more robust) with a snap cover.

The blues don't work: the sealing around the shank is not that good, and water gets in there. I have never had a problem with the yellow / black version (touch wood).

I know of one fellow that has pull tie plastic bag that he ties over the locks . anouther guy tapes the keyhole shut everytime . Both claim their method works .
Tom-RX1

Thanks guys, you should see my plastic covered blue master locks. When we TRIED to leave Spray's I couldn't get into the trailer. I used my lighter for 20 plus minutes and I had to go into his garage and get the oxygen/ accetelene torch (the big heavy one on wheels) and use it to get the locks open (I wonder if I shut off the gas now). I bet I have wasted over 2 hours so far this season just trying to get into the danged trailer.

Funny you mention Triflow. That is what I DRENCHED the American (entirely brass) combination locks with before I used them. They seem to roll easily and generally work wonderfully SO FAR.

I bought a small Ronson butane torch today just for the days when I still need something extra to get into the locks.

Thanks for the help guys. PB

PS: Spray, did you ever find your keys?

Hey guys, same sort of problem for me, but I have changed tactics! You really only need the locks when the trailer is parked. I only put them on at that time. When rolling down the highway I put on the regular pins.As long as the locks don't get all the crud in them they work fine. I use two for the back of trailer, two for the ski hold downs and one on the hitch. When we leave the trailer for any lenght of time the locks go ON! Even at rest stops! Never have a problem doing it this way! Honk

Powder Blue said:
Thanks guys, you should see my plastic covered blue master locks. When we TRIED to leave Spray's I couldn't get into the trailer. I used my lighter for 20 plus minutes and I had to go into his garage and get the oxygen/ accetelene torch (the big heavy one on wheels) and use it to get the locks open (I wonder if I shut off the gas now).

PS: Spray, did you ever find your keys?

You no good bum now I know why my tanks were empty tonight when I tried to use the torch. :) :) That is to funny I would have taken pictures of theat had I known!!

Yes, Mrs. Spray found the keys. They found there way into a basket of clothes some how!!!

So are we buying the yellow locks now? Taking the locks off in transit works, but if you live in snow country and lock your trailer at your house you have the same problem. It snows, it warms and melts getting water in the lock, then it cools back off at night and the water freezes.

Your right Spray. Mine has to me locked at home at least for the trailer hitch pin and ramp, thus they have to work out in all weather conditions. I also use WD40 periodically to help prevent against corrosion. So far so good with the yellow Master locks.

At the place i work we have locks on gates that freeze I completely submerge them in varsol once a month or so and we never have frozen locks any more.The varsol removes the moisture and tends to stay in the lock for some time.

Mikey, what's Varsol? I guess I could do a search and find out? So far the Triflow thing has worked great. I hate to have to go and buy some more though. It was everywhere when we had the old TF33 engines on our airplanes. We used it on the thrust reverser rails. It was the ONLY thing that kept them working properly. Now, we have the new G.E. CFM56 engines with no thrust reversers and the supply of Triflow is dwindling.

I've got my tiny butane torch now. Bring on the ice! PB

Varsol is a solvent we use in parts washers here. I'm pretyy baffled on why its hard to find as we buy in in 25 gallon drums.

P.S a heat gun or hair dryer withextention cord via dc/ac inverter in the truck would be safer way of deicing the locks

Back