• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Wheels (that flip down) for Skis?

Retrax Wheels for Skis

I am using the Retrax wheels on my Polaris(Will be buying a '06 Yamaha 4-stroke!!)

I used them last winter and they work as described! They aren't intended to go fast on-they say 5mph. Once you have them, you'll like them-it would be better if I had reverse too, but when I go to a gas station, there is no messing with turning the sled, just turn and go!

Only thing that would be nice is when you go back to the trail and hit the snow that they would retract automatically, but I just ride into the snow enough to get the skis on the snow, and retract them.

Creates quite a conversation at the gas pumps-like no one had ever seen them before!

I have seen other kits available but none that appeared to be as nice of a set up, well-built, have grease fittings and go on easy!

I have no affiliation with Retrax, but am impressed with the product and their ability to answer any questions I had. And for $200, some may say it's expensive, but for steering and control on pavement, as well as saving the carbide runners, then it doesn't seem all that bad-also saves your back from lifting the sled to turn it around.

My last trip to the UP was a nightmare. When the trails came into small towns we had no choice but to ride bare pavement. It was so warm that all the snow on the sides of the roads had melted. There was one stretch where we were forced to go over a 1/4 of a mile on dry asphalt. That one day ruined my $80.00 carbides #$%&*
I have never driven on so much pavement in my life.

I am seriously considering those retraxx gizmo's :?

Seriously guys....I for one am not putting those dorky looking things on my sled especially not for $200 :ORC

Really takes away from the sled's overall "cool" 8) factor! What's next? a backrest and a big orange flag? LaLaLa LaLaLa

RXWonder said:
Seriously guys....I for one am not putting those dorky looking things on my sled especially not for $200

$80.00 is almost half way there on the carbides I ruined #$%&*
I hear ya, but I bet they can save alot a grief when needed. Before the retrax came out I thought a retractable wheel would be a great idea. But I was thinking of a wheel that would drop out of the bottom of the ski when needed. That way you wouldn't really see it. Kinda like those sneaker/roller skates; you know, sneakers that have retractable wheels.

You know what...get the Bergstrom Skegs this year...I think I paid $60 and they lasted a hell of alot longer than anything else I have ever used and they eliminated the darting completely. They are super durable and made to last.

25% off right now !

http://www.bergstromskegs.com

RXWonder said:
Seriously guys....I for one am not putting those dorky looking things on my sled especially not for $200 :ORC

Really takes away from the sled's overall "cool" 8) factor! What's next? a backrest and a big orange flag? LaLaLa LaLaLa

I guess the old saying "to each his own" would apply here. Other than when the sled is stopped somewhere, when the hell is anyone going to REALLY see them?

Besides, if someone is trying to get across 4 (or more) lanes of traffic and "misses" the opening on the far side when an 18 wheeler is bearing down on you 'cause you couldn't steer, you won't have to worry about looks - except what they dress you in for your funeral!

Good discussion and I'm glad to have found at least a few users/potential users.

Retractable wheels

I just would like to add that I personally don't use the Retrax wheels on my sled too much for road crossings.

You definately would want a safe place to stop when putting the wheels into their up or down position, and on the shoulder of a busy road isn't what I would recommend.

Where I found them the most useful is in the parking lots and along the sides of roads to access trails. When crossing a two lane road, I just point the sled straight across and go-no wheels down.

About the "dorky" look to having the wheels mounted-well, never once had a negtive comment, but a lot of inquiries on them. Many times when the sled was parked it was in the snow and you didn't even see much of the set-up.

I guess the old saying "to each his own" would apply here. Other than when the sled is stopped somewhere, when the hell is anyone going to REALLY see them?

I would see them....that's the problem.

Besides, if someone is trying to get across 4 (or more) lanes of traffic and "misses" the opening on the far side when an 18 wheeler is bearing down on you 'cause you couldn't steer, you won't have to worry about looks - except what they dress you in for your funeral!

First of all let's clarify something....I don't know what you're talking about on this but I for one never cross a road that where I am required to "steer" to the trail opening. I ride 99% on trails and only occasionly have to cross roads. Whenever I do need to cross roads I do it at a 90 degree angle so that I avoid having to "steer". When I do have to do any significant road riding there is always a hrad packed surface of snow/ice where these wheels would be useless. I always stay away from that situation and I never put myself in any situation that would me in a "close call" situation (a family at home will do that to you). I don't trust any sled's steering enough to be taking chances.

Where do you guys ride where you are on bare pavement long enough to justify getting of the sled and flipping the wheels down? Then getting off again and flipping them back up....Sorry guys I think that most of you guys know me well enough that I am not one to ever intentionally insult anyone but I just don't see the value of these things.

PS....I still say they look dorky! ;)! ;)!

I too would not take the time to put them down for a road crossing, but here is where I would; I ride alot in Michigan's Lower peninsula where trails have to cross highways using the public road bridge . In good conditions the road plows try to keep snow on the edges for us sledders. As conditions worsen we loose the snow and end up crossing this bridge on bare pavement. When you take in account the approach to these bridges we're talking sometimes a quarter of a mile of bare pavement :mad:

Then the times you come into small towns where there's no snow covered access to the gas stations, you know, the nice anti snowmobilers that plow the pavement bare..........You may have to ride several hundred yards on bare concrete #$%&*

These are the conditions many Michiganians ride in and where I would use those wheels ;)!

Yeah, what Mighty said.

Wonder - Believe it or not, what Mighty describes applies to many of us who ride in the Northeastern US and Quebec. No matter how careful, a sled (often loaded with saddlebags) is hard to keep straight for the distances we sometime have to traverse to get to gas/services.

I want a set of those wheels too.. I have read some where someone came out with a set that would retract as soon as you hit the snow.. Got to find that article again..

SnowBandit said:
I want a set of those wheels too.. I have read some where someone came out with a set that would retract as soon as you hit the snow.. Got to find that article again..

Let us know if you find them ;)!

VT_BluYamaha54 said:
Yeah, what Mighty said.

Wonder - Believe it or not, what Mighty describes applies to many of us who ride in the Northeastern US and Quebec. No matter how careful, a sled (often loaded with saddlebags) is hard to keep straight for the distances we sometime have to traverse to get to gas/services.

Not to beat a dead horse here....but man...This what I can't understand...When I ride I only do saddlebag trips and they usually are 3- 4 trips per year at 1000 miles (approx) per trip in Northern Ontario. The condiditons we ride in (which are not as good as Quebec or Vermont) never have us riding alot of "bare" roads...we do alot of raod work but it's never on bare pavement...I know this because my sliders start to smell of melt plastic after a mile on even a hard-packed road with very little hard packed snow...so bare road riding is really never expereinced on our trips.

I guess these wheels only apply to certain types of riding conditions. Ones that I guess I am "lucky" eneough not to have to worry about. The ones that flip down automatically.....no your getting somewhere! ;)!

Have a great summer guys..! Think SNOW :-o

Well I know riding in NH this past year it is a pain getting gas. No real snow for weeks on end the pavement melts away.... Not to bad on the viper as its light enough to flip around but my brothers Warrior sucked big time... Then again think of not having to put ski guides in your trailer because you have the wheels... Easier in and out of the V-Front trailer I have.. Make life simpler in the long run I think... 99% of my riding is on good trails.. Its that 1% of getting gas and crossing major highways that the wheels would pay off.

XCSP,

How much extra drag do they create in deep snow?

Do you find in the deep that it's the straw that broke the camels back...?

Steve

Back