• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Which is it, too many conflicting stories..??

Well the good news is the 2011 should have good handwarmers from the factory. Extrovert drivers on the nytros that need it. And Excell is now making direct replacement wheels that require no modifications and they are 135mm or around there, so the hyfax problem is solved.

So all that right there would have saved me a lot of money and frustration.

Couple more years yamaha will probably have it figured out. In my opinion, the MTX cooler should be standard. And they should figure out some sort of partial tunnel block off plate. And quit screwing around and put a 180 hp turbo kit on it from the factory, for under $15,000 out the door. :-o

I was set to buy a Nytro a couple of years ago, but decided to go with the first year XR1200. I am sure I would have liked the Nytro, but I am 100% satisfied with the 1200.....couldn't be a much better sled.

madthumper said:
I was set to buy a Nytro a couple of years ago, but decided to go with the first year XR1200. I am sure I would have liked the Nytro, but I am 100% satisfied with the 1200.....couldn't be a much better sled.

Just curious, how many miles on the 1200 now, and what have you had to upgrade on it since then?

I have an 08 RTX 40th Anniversary Edition Nytro. I think it is one of the coolest looking sleds ever. I have read about a lot of changes that can be made to make the Nytro ride and handle better. I personally don't like to mess with my sled. I bought it to ride. Winters are too short to be messing around when you could be out riding. I was a die hard Arctic Cat man for 15 years when I decided to try the Nytro. I could not pass up the deal as there were rebates on the 08 in Jan of 09. Got the Nytro for $6800.00. I am happy with several things(the styling, torque, electric start, reverse). I am unhappy with several things(tippiness in corners, handwarmers, ice build up in tunnel, wind, gas tank size). I have been adjusting the suspension to try and get it to corner better while riding aggressive. I have had no luck so far. When I had my cats I could ride aggresively and my friends could never keep up. Now I can barely keep up with them in the twisties. I have read that many people have had shocks revalved or new skis, or both. I may try new skis this year. I hear that the 09 and newer handle tons better. Overall I wish that I had bought something else.

Maxout01 said:
madthumper said:

Just curious, how many miles on the 1200 now, and what have you had to upgrade on it since then?

I think I'm only around 5,000 miles. There were two updates for the sled....reverse gear spring and clutch buttons. The new buttons give the sled an annoying resonance at around 20mph, but not a huge deal.

The sled handled great right out of the box, I honestly didn't change so much as a shock setting. I did put some USI skis on it for a little better flotation off trail, but they are not as good on trail as the stock skis.

I like my XTX a lot. I think on the whole people are happier with the xtx then the non xtx versions. or at least that is the consensus I get. It is a jack of all trades and for around here it is perfect.

I do not find the ride cold, I do not find it tippy, I actually think it handles pretty good on trail. Pretty easy to maneuver in the deep snow off trail, which is what I like to do best. I also like taking it into the bumps but I am only 180 lbs.

I did have to adjust the shocks on mine. Once I did it worked perfect for me.

Is the machine perfect? No. I wish snow did not stick to it so bad, wish it had a bigger gas tank, I think it should come with the mountain skis stock.

I did put mountain skis on mine and it made a huge difference in the deep stuff. No difference on trail really which was ok since I never had any problems with its trail characteristics.

i didnt know this was a nytro bashing site. i think people need to learn how to ride i have 10000 miles on my nytro with zero problems and love it. first 6000 miles all i did was put qualipieces six inche carbides on and then i bought slydog skis no more or less than any other sled i have had and i have them all.

maniac said:
i didnt know this was a nytro bashing site. i think people need to learn how to ride i have 10000 miles on my nytro with zero problems and love it. first 6000 miles all i did was put qualipieces six inche carbides on and then i bought slydog skis no more or less than any other sled i have had and i have them all.

That is so true! the reason i posted this thread was in frustration of what i was reading about this sled.

On a yamaha site 90% on the reading was bashing the sled, which left me wondering why i even wanting it. Then with conflicting opionins on it made my head turn.

I asked my self the same thing though my readings is this a nytro bashing site??? I posted this thread in hope of someone being able to bring it to the table on its good, hoping most of what i read was just complaints.

i had a renagade in o7 loved it but the motor went and i did just as much tweaking on it as my nytro i think you will like the nytro honestly best sled i have had

maniac said:
i had a renagade in o7 loved it but the motor went and i did just as much tweaking on it as my nytro i think you will like the nytro honestly best sled i have had

Thanks! As soon as i get my apex sold, i have a nytro in my eye already, lol!

sj said:
zeke66 said:
Exactly...the never changed the bottom end and it's still a weak link over 3000 miles.

ya to me....why wouldnt they put a sealed greased bearing...with an external grease fitting...anything....but the fact this thing uses so little oil and has "oilers" for the crank scares me..

Buddy of mine has a 600 ETEC. That thing is overheating all the time. Constantly goes into limp mode for him, only 1200 miles on it.

glad you brought that up...someone told me the 800 e-tec has a low temp thermostat that when it hits a certain temp (not overheat I think) starts to retard the timing and lessens performance...anyone hear of this?[/quote][/quote]

Last I read, at 140 the timing gets retarded. At 150 deg, it goes limp mode. Don't get me wrong, sled burns clean, great mileage but it seems aweful picky when it comes to what gas you put in it and snow conditions.

I did see an aftermarket thermostat housing that goes farther away from the engine so it will supposedly not go into limp mode. I guess its really close to the engine now, the housing also has the temp sensor I guess.

I have an 09 xtx and I like it. However I weigh 260 pounds and ride it hard through the ditches. My only complaint is that in order to not bottom out I have to have the shocks turned all the way up and the ride height at top settings which does make it tippy. With the suspension turned all the way up it can handle most jumps (the front end does woodpecker pretty hard) but if you hit a rough section of trail it just bounces over like a lumber wagon and it is hard to keep up since I have no traction. In a nut shell I have to decided if I want to ride trails or jumps. I do change it if I go on a long trip of trails I will soften it all up, and when I get home and ride with other people I will stiffen it up to jump stuff. I can get through the twisties pretty fast but I do have to toss my weight around.

That same tippiness and top heavy feeling make a dream in the powder tho, it just loves to lay over on the side and you can hold it there with very little input by the rider. but you have a rider forward position with a brick up front so the front does plow pretty hard sometimes.

Just my opinion in a very haphazard way.

Robgrover said:
I have an 09 xtx and I like it. However I weigh 260 pounds and ride it hard through the ditches. My only complaint is that in order to not bottom out I have to have the shocks turned all the way up and the ride height at top settings which does make it tippy. With the suspension turned all the way up it can handle most jumps (the front end does woodpecker pretty hard) but if you hit a rough section of trail it just bounces over like a lumber wagon and it is hard to keep up since I have no traction. In a nut shell I have to decided if I want to ride trails or jumps. I do change it if I go on a long trip of trails I will soften it all up, and when I get home and ride with other people I will stiffen it up to jump stuff. I can get through the twisties pretty fast but I do have to toss my weight around.

That same tippiness and top heavy feeling make a dream in the powder tho, it just loves to lay over on the side and you can hold it there with very little input by the rider. but you have a rider forward position with a brick up front so the front does plow pretty hard sometimes.

Just my opinion in a very haphazard way.

at 260....you need a revalve like crazy...hygear is in order!

you dont know what you are missing..

sj said:
the sled out of the box needs to be tuned ....its a bit raw as to the shock valving and springs....the skis are yam par for the course...small tweaks can make big changes...go to the suspension settings sticky and read....you will see some guys who were jumping off and hated it...turned it around and loved it..

X2

Any Doo Do buddies that have tried the Nytro on a Yamaha ride never liked the way it handeled. Same guys riding my xtx cant belive its the same machine. Problem is you got to spend some time setting up the machine for your riding prefrence and style of riding. Same thing goes for any machine. Yamaha needs to set these up from the factory to handle the way most riders want the machine to perform on a daily bases. Most these machines are set up to pop wheelies and have way too much transfer from the factory and as a result do not handle very well when you first jump on them. From my experience most people do not have the knowledge experience or time to set them up properly.

Back