• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Who has went from Ski-doo to Yamaha and what was your reason

unpride

Expert
Im really thinking of making the switch. Talking to a dealer tomorrow. Honestly I want reliability and suspension.

I have been on Revs since 04.

The FX Nytro feels very Rev like going down the trail. I am very impessed so far with the FX Nytro RTX! I have not ridden my Rev since I got the FX Nytro to do a back to back comparison... But I have ridden my wifes XP and there are features on both that are nice but in the long run I feel I'll like the FX Nytro over the XP!
I will add I do have a few minor things I don't care for BUT NOT big enough to sway me away from the FX Nytro!!

I was going to make the switch but it doesn't sound like I'll be able to make over 100 miles on a tank trail riding, or be able to do at least 100mph. what do you guys think.

I also switched from a Rev a few years back to Yamaha. I agree with the above post. My RTX reminds me alot of the old Rev. The Nytro handles alot like the Rev. The one thing you will like with the New Nytro is in flat corners, the Nytro will hold to the ground unlike the Rev which tends to become unstable and lets the inner ski lift off the ground. In a banked corner they are very similar. The suspension on the RTX for example is alot better than the X-package ski-doo. The nytro is heavier but also has alot more power with the fuel injected motor. The range of power from 15-80mph is simply amazing with constent pull. Don't worry about gas mileage the nytro will get between 100-120 per tank. Right now in other post I see that people are getting anywhere from 14-17 mph depending on riding conditions. Those numbers should get better after break in periods. You will like the reliability of the motor. I have seen on dootalk that two doocrew members have left ski-doo and are now riding nytro's. I see alot of other dootalk members leaving to go to yamaha simply because ski-doo isn't delivering there sleds. My reason for switching was based completely on motor reliabilty.

Im 40 and have had 9 new ski-doos. 3 of them stood out from the other six for different reasons. The last one was an 04 800 renegade. Sled was great in many ways but when 3000 miles hit the motor problems shown up. $2500 in motor issues was the final push. The new doos impressed me until I looked at the big picture. I looked at cost,shocks,suspension,spring break incentives,etc. I want the motor that is most likely to servive the trip to anywhere. I dont want to be scared to hold the throttle because Ive reached the 3000miles on my $10 grand sled.

RSD said:
I was going to make the switch but it doesn't sound like I'll be able to make over 100 miles on a tank trail riding, or be able to do at least 100mph. what do you guys think.

In good conditions(ice or an good road) 100 mph shouldn't be an issue. I was hitting 165KPH(103mph) in only about 1500' this weekend. That was on the dreammeter, but I would guess in great conditions and given enough distance 185 (115-116 mph) is in the ballpark, which on radar should be comfortably above 100, call it 105-108 on radar.

morrisond said:
RSD said:

In good conditions(ice or an good road) 100 mph shouldn't be an issue. I was hitting 165KPH(103mph) in only about 1500' this weekend. That was on the dreammeter, but I would guess in great conditions and given enough distance 185 (115-116 mph) is in the ballpark, which on radar should be comfortably above 100, call it 105-108 on radar.
thanks morrisond that helps my decision, any trouble with track ratcheting? how tight do you run your track?

I switched this year from an 03 rev to a 08 Nyto RTX. For me, it is all about reliability. I had some GREAT times on my rev, but I also had some miserable times fixing issues that are only related to doo's (Suspension, over heating, grips suck, recoil, rings, carb boots). The way I added it up is that I usually try to go on 5-6 trips a year with a goal of 2500 miles....with the season SO short, I don't have the time for issues. I went with what I considered the most reliable 'big bump' sled out there.

been riding doos and yamahas since 97. was waiting for a 4 stroke that i liked the looks of. the nytro hit the mark. the FI, the ergos, and the state of the art additions to the sled swayed me to buy a new sled this year.

now, the wife saw me going 4 stroke and suggested we both go to 4 strokes, and absolve ourselves of injection oil. so we ordered her one as well. (true story) first time we both ordered new sleds together. ski

I owned Skidoo new machines every year from 2001 to 2005. In 2006 I kept my 800 Rev but also bought an Attak. I love both machines, but loved the Attak more. To the Attak I give better ergos, better riding position, stronger engine. You still have to give the Rev props for the very noticable weight difference when banging the jumps and bumps. Given the choice between one or the other, it's still honestly two great choices, but I'll take the Attak if still talking last years models.

There is a world of difference between this and last years models now, but based on this experience I'm choosing Nytro over new Rev XP. I love four strokes, and giving me that in a lightweight race chassis and I know I'll be in heaven.

One more thing, my buddy who has two Rev's both with less than 4,000 miles, both motors did the meltdown thing on him last winter, and both had to be fully rebuilt. I don't need a mid season, let alone mid trail, meltdown......

1/ Reliability problems, getting older and winging it on the side of the trail isn't an option anymore.

2/ Have been waiting for Yamaha to build a rider forward sled.

3/ Try something different.

Wish everyone well with their Xp's but it wasnt the sled for me.

I switched because I got sick of too much lost riding time from wrenching. Not to mention the maintenance costs of a high performance 2-stroke. I wanted a reliable sled I could ride without having to do anything but add fuel. I've got 397 miles on my MTX and I'm 100% satisfied.

I have only owned 1 Doo and it was a positive experience for the most part. 01.5 Renegade 800 (136x1.25) DPM. Light, fast, cornered incredible and fun. The non rebuildable HPG's were a joke and thats why I got rid of it because I didnt want to start sinking money into it but otherwise it was a good trail sled. I bought a 04 Viper S after selling that sled......

Well I started off on a Yamaha, but after I rode my buddy's 03 Rev, I had to have one, it was just so familiar feeling to me coming from a sportbike in the summer. I honestly had not a single problem with the 03.5 Blair Morgan Rev 800X in over 8800 km's, it took one hell of a beating, and anything that needed to be replaced or repaired was by my own doing. I had a very difficult time this year deciding between the FX Nytro RTX and the Rev XP X 800R. The deciding factors for me was in the demo ride last April on the FX Nytro RTX, and the fact that Skidoo wasn't prepared with the proper shocks on their X sleds at the Big 4 sled show, and now that Yamaha has come out with a lightweight 4 stroke with gobs of power and awesome ergos and capabilities for bangin around, the choice was obvious ! :yam:

Back