• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Why did i even by a Warrior?

buster

Last night, I went out with my wife as a passenger. I am a hard rider and lead the pack in any conditions. But I really thought about why I went to the long track Warrior :cry: Slower machine, than last year silver shorty! Hard to control in the corners. Bad feelings about pan cake hills worried that I will go over the handle bars.
Fire Cat kills me out of the hole and top end. I am done with Yamaha and this machine after this season.
You can buy a light easier to handle machine for less $$ and smoke by this warrior and feel safe going into the corners and over bumps.
So why even build the Warrior. Sounds Good! But Really not a great machine!

Let me guess.... You got your sled home and you put gas in it and started driving it. Now your wondering why you don't like it. My friends on this group has a Warrior that beats F7's and 900's and most SRX's and it's stock except for some tuning. You can find the tuning all over this board. If you tune your stock sled you will hear your cat friends say things like WOW I thought that they were supposed to be slow. Yes it does push in the corner but you can fix that also. The ride is second to none and it's possibly the best sled any of us have ever ridden. The long track in the studder bumps put him out front all day long. Do youself a favor and tune your sled you will LOVE it when you do. Doug

There are some tradeoffs when going to the long track such as the Warrior however not to the point you should totally be pissed about the sled or the manufacturer for that matter. With some slight tuning this sled is very competitive and the one thing that sets Yamaha apart from the rest is fit and finish and of course the reliability. When compared to the Fcats recalls, I would say this sled is very good. We all knew about the weight when be bought this sled but that didn't stop any of us that own this sled from all the other benefits of this sled. If you are looking for strickly performance and handling, this sled is not best fit for that purpose but Yamaha does other sleds that fit that catagory. I would not bash the brand just because one bad experience and without some fine tuning of the sled. If this sled always broke down that would be a different story.
There are many people on this forum that have plenty of tips to get your sled dialed in. Don't give up.

Noobie, I just realized this isn't our buster - - - I was dumbfounded when I saw this post. And by the way, Buster, I live in Ontario, NY. Buster, you should look for Buster696 on here, his sled is very fast!!!!!!!

buster said:
Last night, I went out with my wife as a passenger. I am a hard rider and lead the pack in any conditions.

I think you should try and sell your sled asap, and buy something better (that will let you lead the pack, with your wife on the back). Once you've found out what this new sled is..... let me know, I'd be interested in buying one too!

Gary, you left out one of your sleds in your signoff. You got a 7? SRX too. I rode it and that thing is pretty sick for an old sled. It even pulls the skis. I also thought this was Mike when I first sow this post. But Mikes sled is very fast and he loves it. We are riding tomorrow from Jason's house and doing a Kendal ride again. We did one last night and we had a blast. 10 of us went and we had one of the best time in a long time. You should join us tomorrow. Doug

During the course of a 200 mile day, I've cursed my sled, had fun with my sled, wanted to quit snowmobiling, loved my sled, wanted to shoot my sled.
I'm not talking about my RX1s, specifically. Every sled I've ever had was a compromise somewhere, and was not good on some conditions, and better on others. Every single one.
I feel the RX's once adjusted to one's liking, are a pretty fair compromise over most conditions...some conditions they are outstanding. Some, not so. Factor in the confident feeling of knowing you can just hit the key, dump in any gas, and ride, (and...I'm one of the few who destroyed the bottom end last year taking out the sumpcover, and not knowing it til too late) and I've been pretty satisfied so far. Every other sled I get a chance to ride, I am always evaluating agains the RX honestly. And (especially after riding Fcats) I can't wait to switch back to the RX. Even though the cats ride and take bumps very well, they are just an antique aluminum lightweight box that vibrates and shakes so I can't even read the analog speedo (when set that way). Feels like a toy compared to the RX feel.
Revs are nice but give surprises when cornering hard. And they aggravate my sore knee. And they suck gas, regardless of what doo says.
So I agree. When that perfect sled is found, let us know. Life is short..I'm getting tired of looking for it...

Hmmm, I didn't realize I bought a two up sled. I wish the frikin dealer would have told me that :lol:

Today myself and tshelver put on 288 miles of hard riding up through northern NH to Rangely. I have the '03 shorty, he has the Warrior. We gradually increased our pace throughout the day, until on our ride home we were doing some pretty hard riding, tossing them both through the corners and opening them up on the straights (which there weren't many of). I was curious how a Warrior would handle the corners, and now I know...just about as good as a shorty. Apparently this Warrior is set up properly, because he was right on my tail the whole time. I'm talking about corners that I was sliding through sideways on the throttle, he was on my tail every time I checked my mirrors.

As for seting up the sled, I can honestly say that these are NOT foolproof sleds. I've ridden Cats and Doos, and both seem like there is no BAD suspension settings, just setups that aren't as good as others. RX's seem to take a lot of careful setup to get them right, but once there, they seem pretty good. Maybe not the best, but I no longer feel the need to change out my rear skid. I just want to go to 136" now that I see they can handle just fine.

Now for this speed thing...I've raced a few sleds, nothing official...just friends playing on the lake, but the only sled that ever got away from me was a ZR900 and a modified MXZ700. I'm pretty damn close to MXZ700s until the top end, when I start walking away. I easily shut down my friend's Polaris 700 and several other 600 and 700 sleds. Don't get me wrong...I didn't buy this sled to race, I bought it for trouble free riding...but its nice I can hold my own while doing it. And I've never had to look at the inside of my engine, I don't have to carry a box of plugs everywhere I go, and I don't have to spend more on oil than fuel. I just turn the key and go, and change the oil when I get around to it.

Jim

I don't seem to have a problem with pushing...I was carving pretty hard yesterday. I had some inside ski lift, but its managable...in fact I'm quite used to it and it doesn't bother me. I have the sled set up with the rear a little loose...the front carves great, the rear slides around a little through the corner. Keep in mind...I keep reading about the guys who set their sleds up for dragging...and if its set up for a lot of transfer for hookup for dragging, it WILL push a LOT. I had that with my Cat when I bought it...hooked awesome, but pushed bad. Made some suspension adjustments, and it carved great after that.

Jim

Buster if you are a hard rider and leed the pack, you should have some basic understanding on how to set up you suspension on that warrior. Over the years i've had many fast short track sleds and once I started to ride a long track I swore I would never ride a short track again. Sure it is a lot of sled to handle, but you are just going to have to change your riding style and it will come. In the end the ride that this warrior gives will be worth it. As far as performance, there are plenty of good tips on this site to help you out. This machine is still fairly new in the industry and it has a lot of potential.

I agree with FSBLK and SLEDHEAD. Learn your suspension, and set it up for the way you ride. There is a massive amount of info on this site. Do a little exploring and find what works for you. I rode Cats for 10 years, and yes, it's a pretty decent skid, out of the box (especially the ETT). Actually, this one is better than A'Cats, but, it's much more sensitive to adjustments. Learn it! You just have to learn how to tweak it. Look around in this forum, and you'll find what you need. Remember, don't change everything at once-you won't have a clue (it's not a Cat). I spent last year trying that for two rides, then, I went bact to delivery setup, and started over. I've somewhat figured it out, and, I'm still learning. It's much more versiitle than the ETT skid was, but, extremely sensitive to adjustments. And, yes, it will eat moguls like the ETT, it just has to be setup right to do so!

Back