• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

why not?

GT03235

Expert
Always wondered why most standard nytro owners suffer with overheating issues but there does not seem to be an oil cooler kit available? Or am i missing this one some where? :o|

Well there is a oil cooler, it just runs from the engine coolant though :o| The whole cooling system is just a poor design IMO. My question is why they wouldn't run a more typical cooling system? I could see a radiator being good for a trail sled being used in low snow conditions but it doesn't do enough. The bulkhead cooler is fine but it does not have near the surface area of most sleds due to the rib design. That being said, with my MTX cooling system stock I only had my coolant light come on one time is 2k miles. It would just be nice if it had a rear cooler like most every other sled.

Check you coolant. Yamaha mixes the stuff so heavy.... Mine test down to -50. Change the coolant and add some water wetter and it ran a ton cooler.

Member Mach9 did some work to his Nytro last season to get it cooler and seemed to nail it....he went with a cooler T-stat, cut out the grille vent below the headlight and put to SLP flowrites where the tuning fork symbles are on the side of the top shroud...this seemed to get air flowing into the rad better and out through the flowrites...he claims his never gets hotter than 160ish...I may do the same thing this season however I've never had an overheating issue and have run on snirt and low snow conditions where it should have been boiling over.

Get rid of the the headlight. I made my own headlight delete and the sled has never ran cooler. Riding last spring down the ice crusted trails I was the only sled that did not over heat. I was riding with atleaset one of every model sled. Oh yah and I have a super so it is even hotter under the hood.

NYTRORYDERAK said:
Get rid of the the headlight. I made my own headlight delete and the sled has never ran cooler. Riding last spring down the ice crusted trails I was the only sled that did not over heat. I was riding with atleaset one of every model sled. Oh yah and I have a super so it is even hotter under the hood.
so how did you see where you were going up there? I know you guys dont have enough sunlight during the winter and am just wondering what you did for lighting?

GT03235 said:
Always wondered why most standard nytro owners suffer with overheating issues but there does not seem to be an oil cooler kit available? Or am i missing this one some where? :o|

I believe you mean additional cooling for the engine coolant. First thing to check (like Yamahaboy701 mentioned) is the engine coolant. Yamaha does send the sleds out with coolant that is way too concentrated. Scratchers help as well on hard pack snow. Deleting the headlight is not something most people would want to do, especially if it is needed.....or illegal to remove. Venting can be quite effective if done right.

My 08 ran hot all the time. I didn't want to make my hood look like Swiss cheese with all those extra vents so I added the Nytro tunnel heat exchanger that comes on the mountain sleds. Problem solved!

The only vent that is really effective is not mounted in the hood at all. Over 41 square inches of venting and positioned at the very top of the heat source. Remember....heat rises. The MTX cooler does help but it too should be larger to be more effective.

Attachments

• vent 3.jpg
    vent 3.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 86
Alot of progress can be made on apexes just by removing some foam from side panels and opening up the engine a little bit- without even adding vents...

I installed the MTX tunnel radiator on both of the shorties I had, because in my opinion, a SNOWmobile without a tunnel radiator is nothing but a stupid idea...This worked very well for trail riding as well as freeriding, I did never have any overheating issues. On the other hand, I do not have very much experience of very hard and icy conditions. In these conditions the snow spray is going to be limited, so you might need a set of good ice scratchers.

Back