• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Will 9 Tooth Drives work with the 144"?

Ruggybuggy

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2007 Phazer FX 144
I going to install a 144" skid from a MTX in my FX. Will the track fit running the 9 tooth drives or would it be too tight? Is there enough room between the 9 tooth drives and the rail tips? The 8 tooth drives are available, is there an advantage to running it over the 9 tooth?

Thanks

Depends on the track, I tried to put 9t drivers/axle on MTX but the 144" freeride was just too dang tight even with the adjusters backed off all the way. The stock maverick 144" would have worked though and actually measured 145", the freeride 142.5". Camoplast told me +/- 2" is with in spec.

It''s the stock MTX two inch paddle track and is running the 8t drives. Started thinking I that there may not be enough room between the the track and heat exchanger or track adjustment.

I run a 9tooth on my converted long track. I had to grind a little bit on the adjusters to get them looser. The track was brand new so it was tight for a while until it stretched a bit. I think the stock drives do clear the tips. I did a 9 tooth anti ratchet drives they hit the rail tips but they are on a different part of the shaft they are in line with the rails. I cut the tips off and put anti stab wheels on it. but the stock drives are outside of the rail tips and do clear.

the 8 tooth gives you more gear reduction vs the 9 I went with the 9 on my conversion and geared it down in the chain case. You might loose some power to spin the track if you stuck with the 9 but the clutch might be able to overtake that. I do like my lower gear.

If I were to run the stock 8 tooth I shouldn't need anti stab wheels? I'm buying the a MTX track and skid and the stock 8 tooth drives are available. Wondering if I should buy them or just stick with my 9t. Did any MTX's come with 9 tooth drives? A 9 tooth would have better anti ratcheting ability and approach angle.

all MTX/ Mountian Lite hade 8 tooth and no you would not need anti stab wheels. Unless you put aftermarket anti-ratchet drive 9 tooth wheels on, it has the stock 9 tooth and would not need anti-stab wheels or cut rails. Either way 9 or 8 tooth stock drives work with the stock 2" MTX track.

And if you do have aftermarket 9 tooth Anti-ratchet drives on it is not that hard to cut the rail tips and put the anti-stab wheels on. I did it with the suspension in the sled. And the wheels don't cost that much.

This is what an anti-ratchet looks like. It requires a fully clipped track and engages the holes that the rails ride on and the rubber nubs on either side of the holes. Where the stock drivers engage the 2 rows of nubs on the outside of the holes in the tracks so with the flexing of the cast rubber nubs it can cause the drivers to slip inside the track referred to as retching.
I guess they are technically called no slip drive sprockets. Anti ratchet drives technically only engage the windows.

http://www.wahlracing.com/product.php?p ... ck=srclick
02-575Web.jpg

Perfect, the answer I needed. So I'll run my 9 tooth drives and keep my stock 18 tooth chaincase gear and see how it runs. Worst case scenario is I end up buying a new 17t gear, there only around $36 bucks.

I don't think I'll go with anti ratcheting drives. I've never had a problem with ratcheting unless this is the issue with the 144 tracks.

Thanks

I don't think its a problem with the tracks I just went that route with mine because the Polaris RMK I had would always ratchet and it annoyed the hell out of me so when I built mine I just put it on the parts list to prevent that from happening.

Back