• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Will a turboed viper stay with or surpass a Z1turbo

Dave50Mod

Just wondering what you turbo guys think has anyone got experience with a nitro against a turbo cat?? I am thinking a viper with 180+ should keep up with the Big cat and probably out handle?? But I got to say I am impressed with my buddy when he rides that thing hard. He would start walking on my Apex @ 90 ish I think

Dave50Mod said:
Just wondering what you turbo guys think has anyone got experience with a nitro against a turbo cat?? I am thinking a viper with 180+ should keep up with the Big cat and probably out handle?? But I got to say I am impressed with my buddy when he rides that thing hard. He would start walking on my Apex @ 90 ish I think
What year cat? what kind of racing straight or trails? I will tell you this stock cat vs low boost nytro/viper the Yamaha will beat on it but a modded cat with exhaust, intake is a different story and add a tune to the cat no chance for the yami! pump gas the yami and cat are about done at same horsepower level 270-280hp but the cat shines when shimming the gate 320+hp on stock motor and turbo w/race gas.

Well a Z1 turbo is the twin spar chassis. And if it's a stock turbo, my Viper will walk all over it. If it's the pro cross chassis turbo cat stock I still think I will beat it, but if the turbo cat has any mods like a hijacker kit or anything major it would beat my Turbo Viper. I'm only running 6 pounds of boost. A stock cat is well over that. So the cat has some more options with modding it out, because of higher boost. Now if I got a 240+ kit then it would be a different story. But stock against turbo viper I think I would win.

I rode on tug hill last Saturday with 2014 xf 9000, on the way to the truck we lined up and I took him out of the hole and by the time i hit 90 he was almost even with me and keeps coming fast, roll on I had no chance he would pull away every time. His sled was brand new, mine had 80 miles on it.

I owned a cat turbo 2012 f 1100, if it is "boosted" meaning reflashed or hijacked etc...you will not stand a chance if its clutched properly, that being said were at a disadvantage right now without more gears available. In a straight up drag race to 1320' with a stage 1 viper and a stock 1100 turbo the viper will undoubtedly win hands down.

A boosted cat will destroy us, a viper with gearing will most likely run down a stock or low flashed (220hp) cat but I don't think it will have the top end with the stock gearing. By my account I had a TD flashed cat with a pump gas tune for 260 hp, I feel my cat would have at least needed 220 hp or more to beat the viper at 6 psi that I have setup now.

YamahaTim said:
Well a Z1 turbo is the twin spar chassis. And if it's a stock turbo, my Viper will walk all over it. If it's the pro cross chassis turbo cat stock I still think I will beat it, but if the turbo cat has any mods like a hijacker kit or anything major it would beat my Turbo Viper. I'm only running 6 pounds of boost. A stock cat is well over that. So the cat has some more options with modding it out, because of higher boost. Now if I got a 240+ kit then it would be a different story. But stock against turbo viper I think I would win.
stock vs turbo viper not a problem like is said I had an mcx nytro with a 270 kit and a 330 map for racing and I can tell you right now the cat is just as fast if not faster my cat right now with a tune,exhaust,gears,clutching and intake is making mid 4sec pass at 107-110 in 500ft my nytro never did those numbers. as far as you hanging with the xf 9000 if your stock theres no way he was getting traction he must have been spinning like crazy why you think it was different when you did a roll on... I have many yamaha's still in my garage and one being a well put together nytro xtx that runs really well and I can say there is now comparison even on stock settings.

I don't know if your referring to some one else's post, because I never said anything about a roll on. I'm just saying that if the xf turbo cat is stock I think my turbo Viper with 6 pounds of boost will beat it. Either out of a dig or a roll on. But I will run out of gear. I have gotten around 102 mph in around 600 or so feet. Didn't have that long of a stretch. But I think I will run out of gear at around 110 mph. I think the cat will eventually catch up if we went that far. But in 660 feet or 1/4 mile I think the turbo Viper will have a better ET, but a stock xf 9000 will probably have a better trap speed. Either way the race is who gets there first not who has a higher mph. Now if the 9000 has a hijacker kit or any other mods I'm probably done for. Unless I go to a stage 2 or any other major mods. A stock Nytro will beat a stock n/a 1100. So add same hp with the turbo and the Viper is starting with a better faster motor.

YamahaTim said:
I don't know if your referring to some one else's post, because I never said anything about a roll on. I'm just saying that if the xf turbo cat is stock I think my turbo Viper with 6 pounds of boost will beat it. Either out of a dig or a roll on. But I will run out of gear. I have gotten around 102 mph in around 600 or so feet. Didn't have that long of a stretch. But I think I will run out of gear at around 110 mph. I think the cat will eventually catch up if we went that far. But in 660 feet or 1/4 mile I think the turbo Viper will have a better ET, but a stock xf 9000 will probably have a better trap speed. Either way the race is who gets there first not who has a higher mph. Now if the 9000 has a hijacker kit or any other mods I'm probably done for. Unless I go to a stage 2 or any other major mods. A stock Nytro will beat a stock n/a 1100. So add same hp with the turbo and the Viper is starting with a better faster motor.

117 on an LTX on GPS your outta gear...

Well that sounds better than I thought! I have overdrive in mine as well. I have not had the chance to get on a real good straight away yet to see, plus I just have under 400 miles. So I will wait a little longer before I see them speeds. But I like 117mph. :-o

He has a 2010 turbo cat I use to be able to smoke him with my 06 apex gt stock I could out ride him and I hooked better so got the jump and he could barley catch me on top. I suspect he has done some mods but he says no. The last time we raced a long logging road groomed packed trail we were even after I got him 8 sleds lengths rolling start. then he just kept coming I had to do some serious riding and braked late and whipped into the trail into the woods thought it was a oh F$#& moment but I came out of it, then we got on a power line and he drove away from me I might have been whooped idk but he is a smart guy maybe let me ride hard all day and then got me when I was whooped. Ik his cat handles well and he don't have to work as hard as I do at least it seems it when he leads Anyway I just am wondering if I buy a viper will the chassis be as good as his and with a turbo do I have a chance. Or do I get apex and hope they have come around with the new front geometry and the PS.. I always have wished and thought what the apex could be with the extra 20+ HP . I been out of sledding for 2 years and its time to get back at it keep the info coming thanks Guys

YamahaTim said:
Well that sounds better than I thought! I have overdrive in mine as well. I have not had the chance to get on a real good straight away yet to see, plus I just have under 400 miles. So I will wait a little longer before I see them speeds. But I like 117mph. :-o
Break in whats that? As soon as we verifed afr and boost we started lining up the viper with my turbo 1200 to race haha, less than 10 miles before its first wot 2000' pass!

Lol...I kind of rode it nice so far. But time to beat on it. And yes the Viper will probably out handle a xf 9000 with both riders equal. The Viper handles awesome! I'm coming off a Nytro and the Viper is way way better. My wife has a Vector and pretty much the same handling as the Apex and the Viper is miles ahead of that.

A boosted cat will destroy us, a viper with gearing will most likely run down a stock or low flashed (220hp) cat but I don't think it will have the top end with the stock gearing. By my account I had a TD flashed cat with a pump gas tune for 260 hp, I feel my cat would have at least needed 220 hp or more to beat the viper at 6 psi that I have setup now.[/quote]

I will keep the boosted cats in check with the old girl till you guys get your new gearing loll..

Back