• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Winder wont start

RX Buck

Lifetime Member
Website
mobilepredictive.com
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Yamaha Sidewinder LTX
Went to start the winder after trailering up north and is sputtered then finally started on what seemed lije 2 cylinders. Idled for a few minutes like that until the 3rd cylinder started firing. Seemed to idle and run normal but did not ride it due to another issue with the steering sticking when cold. Got home and now it will not start at all. Just sputters, dropped off at the dealer.

Steering froze? I think this happened to me last trip out. I could not steer the sled for the first few miles. Then it seemingly fixed itself. Is that what you're saying?

Enclosed trailer? Only time I have ever had issues was after storing it in an enclosed trailer.

Mine did the exact same thing after trailering it home in an enclosed trailer after a week in Wisc. Started hard and then just ran on 2. Came out of it after a few minutes. Ran it inside heated shop and thawed it out and all is fine. Have had relay issues also but I don't think the running on 2 thing is related to that. If it started at all the relays are working. These things just don't like sub zero temps. Have also had 3 times where the track froze to the hifax when stopped in sub zero temps. It took several lift and drops really hard to free things up. And no , I wasn't running in dirt. Plenty of snow.

I keep mine in a heated garage 24/7. We’ve had nights up here at minus 40 in December and January. The Doos will start. The Winders struggle.... unless they are warm.

Could be Plugs Yams do that if you just start and idle them to much...had it happen to me with my 17 winder got Up North unloaded cleared the driveway and went to go for a ride after and dam thing did not start.

It's the relays, buddy had same issue in the UP two weeks ago. Pull them out and warm in your hands and bingo...it starts. IMHO these should be solid state with no moving parts.

Back