• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Won't start in cold

have been using ethenol blended gas for years in sleds with no problems but we seafoam the gas now and run every 2-3 weeks untill the coolers are hot. no problems other than a damn lawnmower i forgot to do one year.

I am amazed by the sudden pop-up of "My VK Pro Won't Start" threads. The Genesis 120 is best cold-weather starting 4-stroke that I have ever seen and if you're not able to start it properly, you should consult some help from your dealer on how to do it right and to avoid unecessarily flodding your engine and killing plugs.

Yes, there is a definite knack to it, but it has been posted several times here:

(1) Apply full choke;
(2) Crank engine until it fires;
(3) When RPMs start to rise, turn the choke back to half;
(4) Continuously turn the choke back as the engine continues to rise in RPM/warm up, eventully turning the choke fully off at or near the time that the temp light goes out.

This has worked evey time for me, with the choke on for less and less time as the temperature warms up.

I agree. I had the same engine in my now sold 07 Venture TF and always followed Jack Shafts method and it worked every time even at -28C. You have to take care of your gas also. Everytime I put gas in I add some isopropyl gas line antifreeze. Been doing this for 20 years and never had cold start issues with any snowmobile.

I thought that iso was not effective with the new E10 gas. I also used to use Heet in the red bottle with each fill-up. Maine switched to E10 two years ago and now I add a little blue Stabil now when the sled sits for a week or more.

Is Heet still a good thing to use? I noticed tons of it on sale in all the auto parts stores.

Genesis 120 starting...

Hi,

While I don't have the VK, I do have 2 ventures, a 2006 and 2007.

There are some tricks to starting these in the cold, and it helps if someone shows you, otherwise you will have to try a few times until you get it right.

You can easily over choke them, as others have said. We have cold weather here in Maine fairly regularly. The first year I had my 2006, I left it on the edge of the lake overnight. It got to -18F by morning, and figured it would be sitting right there most of the day, as I don't have any engine heater in it.

It started right up to my surprise.

This year I cleaned the carbs (1200 miles) and it starts even better. it was -8F at Moosehead the other morning, and with half choke it started and idled right away like it was 60F. Amazing. I thought the carbs would be a liability but I think I have more control over the cold starting than I would with FI (without pulling the pump fuse at least).

Great machines. The more I run the Ventures the better I like them.

John

cold starting

It seems like -15 is the cut off for me. I've tested it several times, and when it's colder than -15F, I better plug it in. I started it yesterday at -25F with no problem after it being plugged in. It sat for a week in similar temps prior to that startup.
I don't touch the throttle at all when I start it. I think that's how I flooded it when I had my trouble a few months back. I put it on full choke, turn the key, and immediately bring down the choke once it starts over revving.
So, stay off the throttle, get used to the choke, and plug in when its under -15F and you should be good to go!

kotzebue - What are you plugging in? A battery charger to the battery leads or are you talking about some type of heater you have rigged?

dealer installed

its a 3 way plug the dealer installed. i think its got a battery tender, oil pan heater, and block heater...i know it gets hot - reached in to see if it was working and it was hot enough to burn my hand.

You guys had me scared I thought changing the plugs was going to be an all day job. Once I looked it only took 30 mins to do and it did help startup alot. Thanks for the info

If flooding worries you just change your routine. Start cranking with no choke and add choke until it starts, then back it off as necessary. If nothing else you'll find out how much choke your engine likes in different temperatures.

I've been doing some research on this flooding thing and found out the stock NGK CR8E are bad for fouling if you flood things a bit. Once they go that's it. My dealer told me to try Autolite plugs as they are much more resistant to fouling. I'm running them now and will let you know how I make out.

When I first got my '09 Pro(used) there was year old gas in the tank which I drained out and filled with Premium. I did have a little trouble starting the first few times but after I added some gas line antifreeze everything seemed to run better. Now I use an additive every third fill up and I have had nothing but strong starting. Sometimes its tricky if youve gone for a run and engine is still warm or if youve sat a while and its cold. Youve got to think a little about the choke. All told the Pro has been great starting once I was running some nice clean fuel.

Back