• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Woody's

Unfortunately, the best prices I have found for Stud Boy products is at Nelson's Snow Snow which is always in August; although their prices on some products have seem to gone up here recently in the last few years but that could be related to other things other than Jack selling his business to Lake Side Motors. Last year when studding (down the center only) my Apex 136" track which required 162 studs and my Apex 146" track which required 154 studs for a total of 316 studs (106 double backers and 104 single backers), it cost me $667.76 which equates to $2.11/stud & backer. My riding buddy switched to the SuperLite backers this year when studding his Ski Doo and went up to their show this year and paid a little more per stud/backer and was told price increase was due to steel prices going up. The problem with ordering them online is that if you have an odd amount of studs/backers that doesn't conform to their bagged quantities (e.g. bags of 24 & 48), then you ended up paying more and having extras. At Nelson's show, Stud Boy will sell you the individual quantities you need rather than require you to purchase them in bags.

As for using a different stud other than using Stud Boys Power Point studs, I wasn't sure if that was possible as I thought I recalled being told I had to use them in conjunction with the SuperLite backer but when I just checked their website, it does not state this. It only mentions that they sell the Power Points in packages designated with a 'PS' to indicate they are meant to be used with the SuperLite backer and do not come packaged with the nuts which may actually reduce the cost when comparing to Woody's studs. In all of my SuperLite applications, they were done using the Power Point stud.

As for using the Extreme Max studs, I run them on my RX-1 along with the taller nut since I was studding a 1.25" track and using their 1.325" Max stud. I purchased these at the Novi Snow show years back before I had purchased my new-to-me 08 Apex or even heard about the SuperLites. Although the RX-1 has become my backup sled's backup sled and doesn't get ridden much, the studs have held up very well. You are right in that they are almost identical to Woody's as I had been using either their Gold Diggers or Megabites but couldn't beat the price of the Max stud/backer at the Novi Snow show; especially when the vendor exchanged the normal size nut with the taller version at no additional cost.
Yes ! All good stuff , eBay had a set of 144 studs , 1.375 extreme Max , with backers and short nuts for $182.... I wasnt concerned with the short nuts as I was going to try and use the superlite backers , but then it's another $80 for the backers ... All this is doing my labor , it just seems prohibitively expensive for a few pointy bolts in my track .. I'd get alot of advantage from those , but I'm looking at a price and effort point , what would I really gain .. and with a new trailer, new covers for both sleds ,clutch kit for the ape, new gps set up, a sled lift for the garage , and a few other accessories have stretched my budget thin , wife isn't impressed ,haha

Back