• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

xtx or 800 crossfire snwpro

koalakid

trying to make up my mind on a xtx or 800 crossfire snow pro .Icould use some info such as someone riding deep snow or trail with friends that has either machine .also gas milleage between the two would be nice to know . Any info before snow check would be nice THANKS

I own the xtx and I've ridden an 800 xfire. Only thing I really liked about the xfire was the steering. Its seemed a lot easier to than my xtx. Other than that it still has a 2 smoke motor :4STroke: and it wasnt too much faster than mine. Didnt really like the seating position either. AC attempt on rider forward is just that an attemp but thats just my opinion... ;)!
Oh and my experience was trail riding and drag racing only...no deep stuff

asking a question in a yamaha forum on whether or not to buy a yamaha or a cat is kinda like kissing your sister or asking isnt it? it just dont make any sense.
maybe more like asking clinton if he voted for mccain or obama isnt it?
Or an employee of ford if he is gonna buy a chevy.
2 stroke or 4 stroke........... pretty simply question if you ask me.
there is a 25,000 mile scheduled maintence on the yamaha. does cat have any scheduled maint. after 2500 miles even?
mileage on my rtx is 14-15 mph and thats when im pounding it (dont know what it is if i baby it, cuz i dont baby it).
lastly......... cat would be my LAST choice. i'd buy a polaris or doo b4 a cat (id quit riding if the only choice was cat).

just my $.02 worth.

Check out some of the johndee journals I think he compares them in a few from the beginning of the season.

Here's some idea of why I ride a yami xtx its a fun sled and I feel it gives me the best bang for the buck, oil once a season run 87 fuel etc 5 year warranty not even sure you can get that on a cat.

I believe yamaha when matched with a great dealer to help you out equals lowest cost of ownership in snowmobiling.

Every sled has it's benefits and I ride with some cats and never had to tow them once and we ride 4000 mi seasons so I think you need to sit down and write out the pro's and cons for each, factor in mpg, cost of oil and resale values I think that's the only way YOU can find the perfect match for YOU.

I came off a POS F7 that soaked me every year repairing it. That F7 nailed me for countless belts, springs, idler wheels, gallons of oil and etc. Made the switch to Yamaha and haven't replaced a one of them. By far the best quaility sled I ever owned. I'm getting around 15.7 mpg on any given day of riding. Pretty much on par with my buddy's 600sdi. My Nytro starts everytime, and has never left me stranded on the side of the trail in the 5300 miles of riding.

So do yourself a favor and buy a sled that'll take care of you for many of miles. Is a Nytro a perfect sled.....NO, but compared to a Arctic Cat it is.

dirkdiggler said:
The 2010 Cat 800 makes 164 Hp. They just dynoed one at dyno tech. that's pretty impressive.
164 hp.......... what about torque? 30 more hp and probably barely able to beat the nytro. not to mention AT LEAST 50% more fuel consumption and 2 stroke oil.
if you get 15 mph on a nytro buying 87 octane (lets say @ $2/gallon) is approximaitely $.14/mile to drive plus 1 oil change per year.
If you get 10mph on the cat (which i doubt you will) and you run premium gas which is lets say $2.20/gallon its approx $.22/mile to drive (PLUSSSSSS 2 STROKE OIL)
If you put on 3000 miles in one year (just in fuel) will cost about $420 vs the cat's $660. $240/yr cheaper to drive blue vs green.
If we add in another $50/yr for oil that makes it almost $300/yr diff.
why not compare cats 135hp sled vs the 135hp nytro? hmmmm. maybe because the 600 which probably produces 130-140 hp wont even come close to hanging with the nytro.
Also throw in a couple spark plugs each year, the stink, and color alone.......... GO BLUE!! :yam:
:4STroke: :4STroke:

It makes over 100 foot pounds from 7500 to 8400 with a peak of 106 7900 and 8000 rpms. it sounds like a stout motor. But it's still a cat!!!

jeffT said:
dirkdiggler said:
The 2010 Cat 800 makes 164 Hp. They just dynoed one at dyno tech. that's pretty impressive.
164 hp.......... what about torque? 30 more hp and probably barely able to beat the nytro. not to mention AT LEAST 50% more fuel consumption and 2 stroke oil.
if you get 15 mph on a nytro buying 87 octane (lets say @ $2/gallon) is approximaitely $.14/mile to drive plus 1 oil change per year.
If you get 10mph on the cat (which i doubt you will) and you run premium gas which is lets say $2.20/gallon its approx $.22/mile to drive (PLUSSSSSS 2 STROKE OIL)
If you put on 3000 miles in one year (just in fuel) will cost about $420 vs the cat's $660. $240/yr cheaper to drive blue vs green.
why not compare cats 135hp sled vs the 135hp nytro? hmmmm. maybe because the 600 which probably produces 130-140 hp wont even come close to hanging with the nytro.
Also throw in a couple spark plugs each year, the stink, and color alone.......... GO BLUE!! :yam:

Basically theres one question for you: do you like the rider forward seating postion or do you prefer the old sit down seating? Bc if you dont like the rider forward you might not like the xtx, so just something to think about. But i have gotten 16.7 mpg with my xtx so thats a good thing to have. PLus its nice to be able to put in 87 octane while cat guys are using premium, and when you get back at the end of a trip your gear bag doesnt reak of 2-stroke smell.

An xtx will walk all over a f8. The nytro just rips out of the hole where the cat seems to take forever to spool up. Only advantage I see with the cat is considerably less steering effort.

jeffT said:
dirkdiggler said:
Not picking up for Cat but that's not a real fair comparison! $50 for oil for the cat, what about the $64 for the Yamaha??

I just picked up oil and filters for my 2 sleds yesterday and it cost me $128.

If you are going to add the oil in for the Cat you have to add it in for the Yamaha also.

With that said, I will never go back to a 2 stroke again! But you have to consider all things equal if you are tallying up costs.

wr 250r

i no this isn't a bike website but, radianguy, how do like ur wr250r, i'm thinkin about gettin one, and wonder how fast it is, how it rides on the road

I just sold my Z1 Cat Sno-Pro and vowed to never have another Cat again. At least not with a diamond drive and the existing lousy clutches. 180 HP turbo and it couldn't beat a stock RX-1, hijacked it over 260 HP and it couldn't beat a turboed 200 HP RX-1. It was a belt eater just like the 800 and 1000 CFR's. Get them over 100 MPH and the belts can't stay together. There fine as long as you stay below 90 and stay off the lake. A Yamaha on the otherhand, can run WFO till it runs out of fuel. Just say no to the Cat, you'll save yourself a great deal of trouble.

Back