• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

xtx or 800 crossfire snwpro

radianguy said:
It's ok. I thought it would have more grunt, but I am use to riding my YZF 600R so maybe I wasn't being fair. The first thing I did was change the rear sprocket, stock the thing would do 145 km/h on the highway. I didn't buy it for highway use so I geared it down. From the factory it's really corked up, I am going to do the exhaust and fuel controller next. I did have a load of fun on it last year though, hopefully a few of my buddies will be getiing dual purpose bikes this year so it should be better.

I would suggest for you to try and get a ride on one before you buy.

BTW you can find a poop load of info about the WR250R on www.thumpertalk.com

Quit highjacking the thread guys. Go to the lounge to discuss bikes.

koalakid said:
trying to make up my mind on a xtx or 800 crossfire snow pro .Icould use some info such as someone riding deep snow or trail with friends that has either machine .also gas milleage between the two would be nice to know . Any info before snow check would be nice THANKS

To offer another perspective, a year ago I snow checked two XTXs based upon what I'd heard from Yamaha enthusiasts and I spent the first 2/3 of this winter unhappy. The XTX just didn't trip my trigger. I worked on them, I spent lots of money on aftermarket parts, and in the end I'm riding something else. Committing to an expensive purchase based solely upon other people's opinions is a risky proposition. My advice is to wait and ride them for yourself and make your own choice.

stewartb said:
koalakid said:
trying to make up my mind on a xtx or 800 crossfire snow pro .Icould use some info such as someone riding deep snow or trail with friends that has either machine .also gas milleage between the two would be nice to know . Any info before snow check would be nice THANKS

To offer another perspective, a year ago I snow checked two XTXs based upon what I'd heard from Yamaha enthusiasts and I spent the first 2/3 of this winter unhappy. The XTX just didn't trip my trigger. I worked on them, I spent lots of money on aftermarket parts, and in the end I'm riding something else. Committing to an expensive purchase based solely upon other people's opinions is a risky proposition. My advice is to wait and ride them for yourself and make your own choice.

What are you riding now? 1200XR?

Yep, My Attak didn't sell and I'm glad it did'nt. I just wanted to try something new and different, so I bought the Cat. I wished I had never seen the thing along with a few others. I'll be so happy to get back on the Yamaha next season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SledFreak said:
stewartb said:

What are you riding now? 1200XR?

600 Etec Renegade. I'm very pleased. I also considered Cat. I really like the twin spar F sleds but I don't care for the Crossfires. Polaris doesn't have anything that interests me for the time being, including the Rush. That sent me to Ski Doo. I'm loyal to riding. I'm not loyal to a manufacturer.

XP, great sled... Cylinder read motor, I'm not a fan of. I would of picked the 1200XR over the E-tec.

radianguy said:
jeffT said:
dirkdiggler said:
If you put on 3000 miles in one year (just in fuel) will cost about $420 vs the cat's $660. $240/yr cheaper to drive blue vs green.
If we add in another $50/yr for oil that makes it almost $300/yr diff.
Also throw in a couple spark plugs each year, the stink, and color alone.......... GO BLUE!! :yam:
:4STroke: :4STroke:
Not picking up for Cat but that's not a real fair comparison! $50 for oil for the cat, what about the $64 for the Yamaha??

I just picked up oil and filters for my 2 sleds yesterday and it cost me $128.

If you are going to add the oil in for the Cat you have to add it in for the Yamaha also.

With that said, I will never go back to a 2 stroke again! But you have to consider all things equal if you are tallying up costs.

I thought $50 for ANY 2 stroke oil was cheap for 3000 miles. That was guessing at 2 gallons of oil for $25/gal.
I did my own oil change and it cost me $32 for oil AND filter. Im sure you just had to have the oil that said yamaha on the side. There are only about 5 oil manufacturers (major) and most of them supply oil to the so called "off brands". I wish i knew why people felt they needed oem parts like filters and oil.
someone clue me in.

I came off a 08Apex LTX GT and tried the Nytro XTX and the 09Crossfire800 SnoPro out earlier this season and ended up going with the Crossfire - I liked the light feeling when riding off trail - the Nytro was ok but still would not get up on the snow like the Cat - the rear suspension on the Cat is awesome and works great in all conditions - I think if the Nytro had a better skid it would be a hard sled to beat. Your best option is to try them out in the conditions that you ride in and make your choice based on what you want and not what anybody else thinks. My buddy picked up a Nytro late season and he loves it and the 2 sleds are about dead even as far as racing goes (Both are stock) He beats my at the pump but not by much - last 2 times out it was less than $2bucks. (My sled only requries regular not premium as a previous post had.) Again - if you like what you ride it makes it fun no matter what brand.

marsh14 said:
I used yamaha oil and napa gold filter and it was $36. Far from $64. What did you put in it? You got ripped off.
he's talking $64 Canadian $! and yes we pay more for everything up here!

angus said:
marsh14 said:
I used yamaha oil and napa gold filter and it was $36. Far from $64. What did you put in it? You got ripped off.
If that is the case. How much is gas up there? its $2/gallon here. Even more reason to go with a more fuel efficient sled if gas costs more.
Anyway, I dont care what anyone says. pound for pound, a 4stroke costs less per mile to run.

jeffT said:
angus said:
marsh14 said:
If that is the case. How much is gas up there? its $2/gallon here. Even more reason to go with a more fuel efficient sled if gas costs more.
Anyway, I dont care what anyone says. pound for pound, a 4stroke costs less per mile to run.
I'm not disputing the fact that a 4 stroke is cheaper to operate, that's why we have 2,lol. but if you are going to count the oil a 2 stroke uses you also have to count the oil a 4 stroke needs too.

Right now we are paying about $4.35/gallon. During the winter we were paying around $3.60/gallon.

Back