• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

XTX ride review

stewartb said:
The motor is adequate but isn't a fire breather. The sled

I appreciate an experienced review as much as anyone. You have provided some interesting opinions and comparisons to other platforms. My only beef is with the quoted comment above.

Either you have a dud or the conditions weren't adequate to allow the engine to shine. I can honestly say that I have never heard anyone say this engine was anything less than stellar. I have friends with 800's that are impressed with it. No offense to Polaris, but if you were coming off a Pro-X 600 then the Nytro should feel like a rocket ship.

I have 2 buddies with Pro-x 600's that have to take a 1000ft run at drift to get air because the Pro-X power is so lacking.

I'm not saying I doubt your assessment, please don't take it that way, I just wonder if there is something else here. Was it a powdery day or something? It's just weird to hear someone say they weren't impressed with the engine when 99% of the reviews rave about it.

Maybe yours just isn't broken in yet, but I know that my hands are callused after every ride from trying to hold on to this thing when I squeeze the throttle. I came off a Firecat 600 2 years ago which was arguably the king of the 600's at that time, and the Nytro was like a whole other animal.

No pissing match here. I've got $20K invested in two XTXs sitting in my trailer and I'm concerned how they don't live up to the preseason hype. My basis? A stopwatch. Or the tail lights of the sleds I've always ridden with as they pull away very early in the ride. The other riders? Old friends. Their qualifications? Iron Dog veterans. Arctic Man veterans. Snowcross veterans. What are they riding? Cats and REVs. My normal riding friends ride 600 Renegades. On twisty/bumpy/roller coaster/narrow hunter's trails I can give them a run for their money on my '04 Pro X. I can't stay anywhere in sight on this XTX. Not even close. How about a 25 mile XC run that encompasses all conditions? I'm slow on the XTX. It's fast on the flats but it suffers in the twisty bumps. It handles itself pretty well in deep snow. Compared to what? Renegades and Summits last week, all 600s. This weekend I may get to spend the day with a buddy and his new Assault, which he loves. He's coming off last year's Dragon 800 and can't wipe the smile off his face. Another friend has an '08 Nytro for sale and is now on a Cat 600 Snow Pro. All smiles. I have lots of time on a Snow Pro 6 and still bought two XTXs.

If you think I'm not genuinely interested in making my sleds better, you're mistaken. That's what this discussion is about. I think the XTX has promise but I'm very surprised at how nobody else has voiced any concerns that the ride is not what I/we were led to believe. Is it something with my sled in particular? I must've been lucky to buy two with the identical flaw because both mine exhibit identical handling.

I'm thinking rebound rate of the skid shocks is the key. (That may be why the RTX has compression AND rebound clickers on both rear shocks.) When the rear rebounds and unloads the front suspension can't handle the load. While many critics dismiss that problem as a product of weight? I don't think so. I think the skid needs help. Particularly in rebound control. Dialing up spring rate to prevent compression isn't the proper answer, but doing so along with sucking up the limiter reduces the problem. I'd say that's a powerful clue. I'll know soon.

Anybody here ride an RTX? How are you setting your rear shocks and what effects are you seeing?

Regarding the shocks and valving, I though Yamaha had improved that aspect of the rear skid this year, but based on what you are saying it doesn't appear so.

I had my rear skid shock revalved this summer, and while I can't give an accuarate assessment yet (because I simply don't have enough seat time) I expect that anything will be an improvement.

My biggest problem was bottoming resistance and transfer.

My comments about the motor were clear. Adequate is good. It is not a fire breather. I guess all the aftermarket turbo, supercharger, and nitrous kits indicate I'm not alone in that assessment. For what it's worth, I don't want a fire breather. Adequate is just fine. And I think this sled's assignment to the 600cc class is correct.

Stewart

stewartb said:
My comments about the motor were clear. Adequate is good. It is not a fire breather. I guess all the aftermarket turbo, supercharger, and nitrous kits indicate I'm not alone in that assessment. For what it's worth, I don't want a fire breather. Adequate is just fine. And I think this sled's assignment to the 600cc class is correct.

Stewart

Fair enough...It will improve slightly after break in, but no enough to go from adequate to fire breather :Rockon:

I agree with Stewartb the rear suspension sucks! The rear shock needs rebound adj. and comp. adj. on the center. The rear shock rebound is to slow. It hits a bump and stays up! The center shock is to stiff.

07Rob1 said:
I agree with Stewartb the rear suspension sucks! The rear shock needs rebound adj. and comp. adj. on the center. The rear shock rebound is to slow. It hits a bump and stays up! The center shock is to stiff.

Since I have both shocks out I can comment on the rebound rates. The center shock has alarming quick rebound with the stock preload. From full compression it snaps back nearly instantly. And Rob, you were spot-on with your assessment of the rear shock. It rebounds so slowly it's like it has frozen molasses in it. Y'all can do whatever suits you but that's my honest report.

My attitude towards the XTX remains positive. I think it has promise and I'll keep playing with it until I get it right. I'm not bashing it but I'm not impressed by a few things that I've found, either. So it goes for a first year sled. I broke my long-standing policy and bought a new model. Live and learn.

SB.

I talked to the dealer about the suspension. I gave them the setting. They said they would talk to yamaha tech to see if they could help. I'm still waiting for answer. I called yamaha myself to complain. It can't hurt. Yamaha offered a fix for the 2002 Viper. Maybe they will do it again. I don't want spend money on after market shocks YET!

I have 350 miles on my nytro now. I love the sled but I do notice the big bump capacity is surely lacking. It does stack up the rear on two big hoppers in a row. As far as trail garbage is concerned the rear suspension eats that stuff up for breakfast. The 144" track seems to really shine here for me. Your in the perfict seating position for hitting bumps and jumps. I ride huge wide trails to beat out trails to rivers covered in deep snow to almost sheer ice. After putting simmons Gen2, antiratchet drivers, 1.5 track, 114 studs, MBRP sound effects, clicking the bottom clickers 5 back from full. Top 4 clicks from hard. The sled seems to be comming around. The rear I have stock except I dialed her up for max transfer and it was no good for corners at all. The darting is very scary with the stock ski's. I was hammering the sled through frozen ruts where ATV's were traveling earlier out on the river at night. I just held it WFO as if I let off i might get into trouble. The front needs more adjustability in the springs. I like less preload but if I lower the springs less than 25% it gets sloppy with no weight on the front end. Ohlins would make this front end shine a bit better IMHO. I bottom out the front far faster than the rear. I need two in a row to bottom the rear. As for power with a 1.5 hooking up it rocks. Do I want a supercharger stock from Yamaha. Oh Yes 200 HP would do fine but 220 would be better. I'm at sea level so I feel the motor strong right now. I don't shy away from 1000CC sleds in the 660' Under good snow conditions I eat them for breakfast. After a mile they might catch up. If out on the trail in rutty conditions I'll wait at the next junction for them. On big open trails they are pretty much my equal. My hands froze last night. I had to stop to make fists. I bent my A Arm and tir rod today. Maybe more I'll have to look further. The tie rod is very sloppy. I bent the Whal broth's wheels on a hard hit or two or three or four.

Attachments

• XTX 173.jpg
    XTX 173.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 63
  • XTX 170.jpg
    XTX 170.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 69
My sled hit 500 miles last week and a bunch of sledders we were with were giving us hell on our yammis. so we get to the lake and i see an f8 an f1000 and some smaller sleds and I think these guys are going to smoke me. because the nytro is 130hp and I know they have at least 150 or more. so of course they jumped ahead of me. but this is where its get interesting. the nytro with me maybe 165lbs w/ gear shot through them like a dragster. I was shocked. and by the time the nytro topped out I had quite a distance on them. so I let off. I really didn't know the lake they were the leaders of the trip. and for the rest of the day no more line ups on the lakes. alot of people don't realize the holeshot of the nytro. and they did not have the racing versions they had the lx models but still. they got roasted. so don't give up on your motor yet it will open up I think around 500 mi. I don't have an xtx I have an rtx I'm sure the bigger track slows it down and I have studded the track. that really makes it hook up ...............................................B ;)!

I have 600 miles on my XTX and out of the hole this sled absolutley rocks! My fun factor is between 0 & 80mph which this sled pulls to non stop. However I was racing my buddies 2008 600 XP SDI and the first part of the race I roasted him as you say although once I hit 90mph he went by me with ease & to the bar I only saw 92 mph and there was no more? I just took it in for it's first service so we'll see if it makes a difference or not. Perhaps at 1000 miles it will be a little faster. The fastest I have had this machine up to date was 96 mph. This was earlier in the break in at around the 300 mile point & I only had it there for 5 seconds due to breaking it in. I have a fellow friend who after 1000 miles has added wieghts to the clutch & he is saying he has hit 107 mph so we'll see after some time. I am not a big speed guy as I mentioned where my fun factor is however I would have thought that this machine should hit the 100mph mark just as the 600's do. Time will tell although this is my first Yamaha & the more time I spend on this thing the more I really like it. By the way a tid bit of info & venting - my wifes 2007 MXZ 550F that she just bought out of the crate last year ( she has had one season on it ) melted a piston at 900 miles on the sled & we are being told at this point that they do not think this will be covered under warrenty, we could have saved $3000 & bought a used sled and had the same result...what a joke...real nice BRP that's backing your product!

backstop said:
I have 600 miles on my XTX and out of the hole this sled absolutley rocks! My fun factor is between 0 & 80mph which this sled pulls to non stop. However I was racing my buddies 2008 600 XP SDI and the first part of the race I roasted him as you say although once I hit 90mph he went by me with ease & to the bar I only saw 92 mph and there was no more? I just took it in for it's first service so we'll see if it makes a difference or not. Perhaps at 1000 miles it will be a little faster. The fastest I have had this machine up to date was 96 mph. This was earlier in the break in at around the 300 mile point & I only had it there for 5 seconds due to breaking it in. I have a fellow friend who after 1000 miles has added wieghts to the clutch & he is saying he has hit 107 mph so we'll see after some time. I am not a big speed guy as I mentioned where my fun factor is however I would have thought that this machine should hit the 100mph mark just as the 600's do. Time will tell although this is my first Yamaha & the more time I spend on this thing the more I really like it. By the way a tid bit of info & venting - my wifes 2007 MXZ 550F that she just bought out of the crate last year ( she has had one season on it ) melted a piston at 900 miles on the sled & we are being told at this point that they do not think this will be covered under warrenty, we could have saved $3000 & bought a used sled and had the same result...what a joke...real nice BRP that's backing your product!
Never lost to a 600 on my 08 shorty. Sit a little further back on the seat and try to keep the ski's light. If you move up on the sled you have way too much ski drag. On hard pack you should se a minimal of 104. I have seen 112 on speedo Shorty. Gps was 108.My bud saw 114 on his 08 shorty FX Nytro

Back