• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha decals for trailers

Sticker making will not put Yamaha out of business, why try .. I have 2 large 7' white Yamaha logos with tuning forks and 1 lg tuning fork made years ago still new . Place is out of business now . They may still be good and maybe stick , but who cares if they don't . Just hang in garage . Just go to a print shop near you and have whatever you want made .they will probably make it for you. Have them make a little TM with the circle around it . Stands for (Trade Mark) stick it on lower right side of logo , your good to go

I'm now looking for decals for my new white Triton trailer.
Anybody find a good source?

Ebay has all the stickers, sizes, and color choices you could want

Trying to clear up some misconceptions here.

Logos are not subject to copyright, they are subject to Trademark law, two completely different things. Copyright covers a work (e.g. a book) and the negative right of others to make duplicates of that work. To make things complicated, it is not the copy of the book that makes it in and of itself infringing of the copyright, it is the manifestation of a similar experience but that gets way off topic.

Trademarks are the right to use a 'mark' whether textual, graphical, or a combination thereof in association with certain products. It is not as far as I know, illegal to use the Yamaha trademark in association with a Yamaha product no matter who produces the logo. What is illegal (or protected) is the right to use the Yamaha logo specifically with a particular product which is NOT produced by the trademark owner (Yamaha). Trademarks exist to allow one company to associate its mark with its products and to specifically avoid conflict with other companies who produce similar products so you could not for instance use the Yamaha logo with a SkiDoo product as that would cause confusion in the market (and significantly raise the value of the SkiDoo product but I digress).

As far as the sign maker goes, he can produce or in this case reproduce the logo as long as he is doing it as a one-off. There is no specific restriction on doing this or companies that produce magazines would be required to get specific rights to reproduce the Yamaha logo (and they don't).

It is very unlikely that any company would enforce the use of their logo by an individual *if* and as long as the logo use is commensurate and aligned to how they would use it themselves.

Example:

A company creates winter jackets, they produce and put the Yamaha logo on the jacket without first getting permission. There are several issues here, implied endorsement being one but the real problem is that Yamaha has the exclusive right to their trademark as used in conjunction with commercial products (in this case winter coats). Yamaha could pursue the jacket company on several fronts including infringement on their trademark.

A company produces cotton balls, and for some reason, they decide to use a logo that looks a lot like the Yamaha logo, chances are Yamaha would be upset but would find it very difficult to enforce because they have no interest in the cotton ball market and there is little chance of consumer confusion caused by conflicting trademarks (wordmarks). Similarly, it is fair use of a trademark to reference a trademark for reference or comparative purposes. SkiDoo for instance could use the Yamaha logo in a comparison of the two companies sleds. Another example is the website Kayak, there are lots of companies that use the Kayak wordmark including HP Computers who produced a workstation that was branded Kayak. Ignoring the fact that the word Kayak is an English word used to describe what neither company produces (search and computers) the fact that they are in two different markets allows them to get away with having the same wordmark.

Back on topic.

You decide you want to put the Yamaha logo on the side of your fancy new trailer. You take it to the sign maker who produces the vinyl for you and you put it on your trailer. Is it in violation of the Yamaha trademark, yes, technically but Yamaha as a company is EXTREMELY unlikely to pursue it because it fails the test of causing confusion in the market and you are not in the business of marketing trailers under the Yamaha brand, to put it simply, it would be a gross waste of their money and they run the risk of creating ill-feelings in their customer base when you are in fact endorsing the brand.

IANAL nor do I play one on TV

Logos are not subject to copyright, they are subject to Trademark law, two completely different things. Copyright covers a work (e.g. a book) and the negative right of others to make duplicates of that work. To make things complicated, it is not the copy of the book that makes it in and of itself infringing of the copyright, it is the manifestation of a similar experience but that gets way off topic.

Trademarks are the right to use a 'mark' whether textual, graphical, or a combination thereof in association with certain products. It is not as far as I know, illegal to use the Yamaha trademark in association with a Yamaha product no matter who produces the logo. What is illegal (or protected) is the right to use the Yamaha logo specifically with a particular product which is NOT produced by the trademark owner (Yamaha). Trademarks exist to allow one company to associate its mark with its products and to specifically avoid conflict with other companies who produce similar products so you could not for instance use the Yamaha logo with a SkiDoo product as that would cause confusion in the market (and significantly raise the value of the SkiDoo product but I digress).

As far as the sign maker goes, he can produce or in this case reproduce the logo as long as he is doing it as a one-off. There is no specific restriction on doing this or companies that produce magazines would be required to get specific rights to reproduce the Yamaha logo (and they don't).

It is very unlikely that any company would enforce the use of their logo by an individual *if* and as long as the logo use is commensurate and aligned to how they would use it themselves.

Example:

A company creates winter jackets, they produce and put the Yamaha logo on the jacket without first getting permission. There are several issues here, implied endorsement being one but the real problem is that Yamaha has the exclusive right to their trademark as used in conjunction with commercial products (in this case winter coats). Yamaha could pursue the jacket company on several fronts including infringement on their trademark.

A company produces cotton balls, and for some reason, they decide to use a logo that looks a lot like the Yamaha logo, chances are Yamaha would be upset but would find it very difficult to enforce because they have no interest in the cotton ball market and there is little chance of consumer confusion caused by conflicting trademarks (wordmarks). Similarly, it is fair use of a trademark to reference a trademark for reference or comparative purposes. SkiDoo for instance could use the Yamaha logo in a comparison of the two companies sleds. Another example is the website Kayak, there are lots of companies that use the Kayak wordmark including HP Computers who produced a workstation that was branded Kayak. Ignoring the fact that the word Kayak is an English word used to describe what neither company produces (search and computers) the fact that they are in two different markets allows them to get away with having the same wordmark.

Back on topic.

You decide you want to put the Yamaha logo on the side of your fancy new trailer. You take it to the sign maker who produces the vinyl for you and you put it on your trailer. Is it in violation of the Yamaha trademark, yes, technically but Yamaha as a company is EXTREMELY unlikely to pursue it because it fails the test of causing confusion in the market and you are not in the business of marketing trailers under the Yamaha brand, to put it simply, it would be a gross waste of their money and they run the risk of creating ill-feelings in their customer base when you are in fact endorsing the brand.

wow. Lmao.

Example:

Back on topic.

Tell me more

You certainly sound like my wife and, as my kids call her, a turdy liar (attorney lawyer).

Lol. Well not a lawyer but I read contracts almost every day. I guess it rubs off. Will try not to over-share in the future! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_20171228_113402659-640x380.jpg

Bought it from snow show in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Off a table/vendor. He obviously had bigger.

If you look on eBay you can easily source it. Though some email probably get one to satisfy.

Carbide, the reason I suggested eBay is because I found them myself. Need help let me know.

Last edited:

Back