• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha Hand wind Deflectors

Arnold08

Expert
WOW anyone got any better widn deflectors those things are the biggest POS in the world.. was riding in powder caught a little edge and pitched me off to the right of the sled barely touched the wind guard and broke it that my second onee

No your stock ones come off and the dumbo ear's go on. They are made of a stiff fabric material is the best way I can describe them so you won't ever brake them. They are easy to install and remove (about thirty seconds each with no tools) and offer a ton of wind deflection and hand protection. best on the market in my opinion, if you can get over the size/look. You can remove them before/during your ride if you don't need them and/or take them with you if you do need them. Great product in my opinion.

If we're all on the same page, I call these Dumbo ears and they go over the stock guards and velcro to hold.

Attachments

• sma-8glhg-gp-00-500.jpg
    sma-8glhg-gp-00-500.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 142
Hey Arnold- I'm with you on this one. First ride on my XTX, carving some powder, sled pitched up and I landed on the left handguard, broke the aluminum mount right off where the bolt goes through it towards the front of the sled. Crappy design, as there is only about a total of 1/8" of aluminum on either side of the hole to support the guard, and its not billet or forged, so very flimsy. I bought a set of Powermadd Star Guards from RSI and got their mounts (better design than ROX's in my opinion, although not as much bling) and then bought the foam/cordura nylon "flares" from ROX. Between these and the mid height windshield, I have ridden down to -10 F and stay pretty warm (given the crappy handwarmers). I have landed on these many times now coming off jumps and have yet to do any damage to them. The RSI mounts are so beefy I think you'd break your hand before you broke the mount. Make sure you get the BILLET ones, the others are made of the same material as stock. This combo is not cheap, but it's better than repeatedly replacing stock junk. I'll see if I can't get some pics this week.

Mounts-http://www.rsiracing.com/product_info.php?cPath=0_30&products_id=188

Guards- http://www.rsiracing.com/product_info.php?cPath=0_30&products_id=210

Extenders-http://www.roxspeedfx.com/cgi-bin/cart/showitems.cgi?subcat_id=282

Attachments

• 480_SPG_Hand_Guards_09_pics_-_Blue.jpg
    480_SPG_Hand_Guards_09_pics_-_Blue.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 480_Pro_Hand_Guard.jpg
    480_Pro_Hand_Guard.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 110
Koeckman said:
Those are the same as the Dumbo Ear's I was referring to, however the set I have don't go over the stock guards as I don't have stock guards. They are in place of the stock guards, made by Skinz.

www.richmotorsports.com/store/view_prod ... SKINNHTW28

www.skinzprotectivegear.com/snowmobilep ... uards.html

I have just installed these same hand gaurds this weekend and WOW, I could feel my handwarmers at all speeds and RPM's, it was about 5-15 degrees F out and they work great, I have also used the Yamaha dumbo ears and found they were a improvment but not as good as the skinz.

I use the same hand guards with the velcro fastening over the stock guards and I used a little muscle power and bent them back to where they are almost touching the handlebars on the end they work 10 times better and don't have any problem with the warmers any more, also I think one of the problems with the warmer setup is they cut out when you apply the brake so if you ride with one finger on the brake at all times you inevitably activate the brake a lot, I used the adjuster to bring the brake lever all the way back and so it's does not have as much tension on the lever as it's closer and seemed to make a big differance..

The guy complaning about breaking the aluminum mount, It's better to break the mount than your wrist isn't it. I have seen guys break thier hands using bark busters on bikes. I'd rather break something on my machine than my bones. I'm not picking on anyone. but they build them so they break instead of you.

vetmxer said:
The guy complaning about breaking the aluminum mount, It's better to break the mount than your wrist isn't it. I have seen guys break thier hands using bark busters on bikes. I'd rather break something on my machine than my bones. I'm not picking on anyone. but they build them so they break instead of you.

I've never heard of anyone ever breaking their wrist on a snowmachine in that fashion. Those guards are more for wind protection as apposed to busting bark like on a bike. These machines are designed to be rolled over in the snow and powder and we shouldn't have to worry about them breaking off so easily. I've never even come close to breaking any hand or wrist by playing in the powder in all my 27 years of riding.

Attachments

• IMG_0210 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0210 (Large).jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 101
The comments about breaking your wrist may be valid, but my complaint with breakage has to do with rolling the sled over or whacking a branch while off trail. In the case of my XTX- the sled was supposedly built to go off trail and discover new territory... while doing that, you are gonna snag tree limbs, roll the sled on its side, etc. After breaking my mount by just putting some downward pressure on it to bend it back into shape after a very minor impact, I decided I just wanted something beefier. If all you are concerned with is wind protection and you rarely venture off trail, then the stock mounts are probably fine. If however, you like to explore, you will eventually break the stockers. I'd personally rather not deal with that inconvenience. Just my opinion though, and you know what they say about opinions...

Back