• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Year End Reviews

number1kyster

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2018 SW RTX SE
I thought this would be handy for those curious about the Vipers. Maybe the owners could put all season end reports in this thread?

What was your old sled?
How many miles on your Viper?
Issues encountered?

Things you love/hate about the sled?

number1kyster said:
I thought this would be handy for those curious about the Vipers. Maybe the owners could put all season end reports in this thread?

What was your old sled?
How many miles on your Viper?
Issues encountered?

Things you love/hate about the sled?

Old sled 2011 Nytro XTX
3700 miles
Couple issues
Belt, and oil seporator
I love how it handles, it's the best looking sled out there!!
Don't really like the Cat ECU and just some stupid things that could be fixed very simple.

I had a great time on the sled this year, jumps great as well!! Would have liked to get more miles, but oh well. Always next year. Not sure if I'm keeping mine or trading it in??

But I think with a few changes/updates this will be a great sled!! Now we just need a 1080 instead of a 1049 to get some extra ponies! ;)!

Heading to Munising Michigan, trails are still open, just no grooming. Fresh snow everywhere!

Been a great sled for me.
Ergo's, heated seat, hand warmers, handling, all great.
2435 miles on this season. And heading to the UP of Mich tomorrow night for one more ride.
Gas mileage was on avg 14-15 mpg.

No major issues.
Just readjusted the chain tensioner 3 turns at 500 hundred miles.
Get the hot restart long crank issue once in a great while.
Sled has some push in the cornes. Running Curve ski's next season.

Ran my set up of the Hauck clutch kit all season.
Zero belt issues. Change the original bet at 1700 miles.
Belt was fine but was ready for a change.
Did the 8JP vs the 8DN belt thing. Really didn't see a difference.
Maybe 1-2 mph more top end with the 8DN. But these sleds are so sensitive
to snow conditions for speed that it is hard to tell.

Sled could use more power. Running my MBRP trail can this weekend.
See how it performes and will readjust my clutching to fit.

Previous sled. 2009 Nytro XTX.

I love my new xtx, old sled is a 2002 viper, I absolutely love how this sled handles in the deep powder, also it took me a little getting use to the rider forward position but I love how I feel after riding after 500-700 kms. With my old viper I felt pretty banged up after such distances however with the new viper I hardly feel fatigued.

I have had few problems however such as

Steering became very loose while on a long trip in Quebec..... bolt came loose and dealer repaired quickly once I took it in.
Had a small fire as the plastic cup under brake rotor melted and ignited, no idea how, hasn't happened again in over 3000 km.
Had a few p1338-39 error codes.... seem to improve as more kms were put on.
It would bog down and stall sometimes and I have concluded it happens when the exhaust is totally submerged in deep snow and moving along slowly or stopped.
Ordered my sport bumper in the fall, didn't arrive until much later and after I cracked the cheap plastic panel at the front. Gave up on my mid sport windshield, hope to have it by next season.
I still have the original belt on and am amazed that it is still holding up well, I don't nurse any of my machines and expected to blow a few belts this season.
Slight leaks from rad hoses which were easily resolved by tightening hoses.

I miss the top end speed of my old viper, however I don't mind giving it up for the great suspension and off trail handling.

Have around 1650 on mine. Darted terribly initially. Installed Woody's doolies. Started to push after that, did the limiter strap cinch as well as loosen the front skid shock, and added 10 lbs to the front shocks. Handles GREAT! Did the reverse recall, was an easy job, did the chaincase and engine oil changes at this time. Found a broken ear on the chaincase which is getting replaced under warranty. Found the rear skid shock constantly leaks down air so I'm going to have that looked at. On my last ride I had the low idle issue happen when I backed into my parking spot at a restaurant. Came out a couple hours later and it ran fine. I'm so in love with this sled, I added an 8.5" cat bar riser the last weekend and it just made the experience that much better.

Its been a year of highs and lows.....

Old sled was and still have 2013 Polaris Pro R 800 Had 3 of them the prior yr and blew up a 2012 with 867 miles on it. Had a 2011 with 3600 miles on it and a replacement for the blown up 2012 with 467 miles on it.

The XTX spent more time in the shop this season than on the trail. I did manage 1600 miles on it and about that on the Pro R while the XTX was in the shop so about 3200 miles for the year.

I Made the decision to pull the trigger late in the fall, based on research of available turbo kits. I rode the sleds the yr prior and knew it would not work for me without more power. I took delivery and dropped the sled of immediately for the turbo install. The sled and turbo installed cost more than a late model porsche but I love sledding and wanted something that was both powerfull and comfortable enough to do long 2 to 300 mile days.

The learning curve was steep and had to work hard on both getting the sled to run properly and handle. at this point after blowing a motor and rebuilding with parts to push it capable of 12 #'s of boost the power is where I wanted it from the beginning. The handling is another story. I am not happy at all. To eliminate the push I had to load the front so heavy and add 32" of carbides on the simmons skis, it drives like a dump truck with no power steering.

I will be adding the Zbros coupling system over the summer in order to try to flatten the sled out for more consistent cornering and have worked out a design for adjustable limiter straps. I am also going to make a set of quick disconnect sway bars links for playing in the deep and steep. I am also thinking about selling the Fox Evol rc2 shocks and going with the Axis coil over clickers.

The last thing I want to do is convert to the 8dn belt. The last ride of the season I blew 2 stock belts, the second only lasted 200 miles.

All in all I am nuetral on my feelings about this sled. Ergonomics are good but I do not like the bars, brake lever, grip diameter or throttle flipper. It does ride great through the rough trails but does not like to turn. Reliability is poor at best with 6 times in shop for warranty work (it is still there now for no left hand warmer or thumb warmer and gauge pod does not light up on left side again).

Would I go through this again? - NO will I sell the one I have? -NO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:38 am Post subject: Viper LTX SE End of Season Review Reply with quote
Total Miles 2200

Previous Sled 2006 RTX Apex for comparison

The more miles I put on the Viper, the more I enjoy riding it. Corner to corner, this sled is a rocket. It handles amazing, rides great and i never get tire riding it. The ride is much improved after softening the rear suspension. The engine is still loosening up and getting faster. The RPM's are raising to the point of needing some clutching changes.

In comparison to the Apex , I find the Viper to be much better built for a first year sled.

Items that I had to replace on the Viper:
1) Broken Primary Spring

Items I had to replace on the Apex:

1) all the Bogey wheels
2) Handle Bars ( original didn't put out heat )
3) hyfax
4) Fuel pump relay
5) RA dial adjust cable
6) Rear suspension arm ( inop grease zirk ) bad welds)

I did have the reverse update done on the Viper at the end of season, even though I had zero issues with mine.

After taking a good look at he Viper and comparing it to the Apex, the Viper weathered the first year WAY better than the Apex. The Apex , after the first season showed a lot more wear and tear than the Viper. The front end was very loose on the Apex ( front bushings worn out ) Paint was chipped on the front A arms. The rear suspension was full of rust and paint chips on the Apex. I also had some track rub on the Apex ( was common). Steering also had a lot more steering slop than that of the Viper. The paint where your foot sits was already wearing through on the Apex. Yes , the plastic panels and fasteners are better quality on the Apex. The Apex was also starting to backfire, the beginning of the end of the first set of Y pipes and exhaust donuts that went out on the Apex. The Viper painted suspension parts looks a ton better.

In review, the Viper has exceeded my expectations. I rode more 200 mile + days this season on the Viper than I ever did on the Apex. The Viper is just plain fun to ride. The riding position is perfect for me and my style of riding.
There is some top end speed left out there in the clutching to be found ( as others have noted) . I have no doubt, that Yamaha will fix the hot start issue.( I had this pop up once in my final 500 mile ride.)

2006 Apex RTX (replaced)

Previous sled: 2009 Nytro RTX, 5000 miles on it
Current Sled: Viper RTX SE

I started my season contemplating whether or not to accept delivery of my Viper or not due to a torn ACL and surgery scheduled on December 2nd. I picked it up the week before my surgery and as it turned out I am really glad I did.
THE GOOD:
I managed a little over 1000 miles since the beginning of February. I had the chaincase update done before I even rode it and that is the only trip to the dealer for service. I have it handling like it's on rails, for the first time since I bought my Nytro new in 09 I am looking forward to the twisty sections of trails, it's just a blast. The ergonomics are perfect for me. Even though I haven't been able to stand up and ride like I normally do in the rough sections the little bit I have the transition from sitting to standing seems very easy even after my surgery. I like the position the bars and the feel of them, no issues with the brakes either. The throttle flipper felt awkward for a while but I am used to it now. The simplified hand and thumb warmer switches are a huge improvement and I also like the gauges allot compared to my Nytro, very functional and easy to read and use while riding at speed. The front suspension is amazing to me, it soaks up everything and begs for more. Wish the rear suspension was as good.

THE NOT SO GOOD :
Rear suspension calibration.
I am a 300# rider, consider myself to be fairly aggressive and this thing is just too stiff. I have my rear torsion springs set to the lightest setting, front skid coil over spring in the stock position. I have maybe bottomed it out twice, it just seems harsh compared to the other new sleds I have ridden. Thinking about getting my shocks revalved over the summer, the only reservation I have in doing this is the ride has improved with miles. Wondering if I should wait but also wondering why I should have to.

Clutching calibration.
My clutching seems all out of whack. I am constantly on the Rev limiter on the bottom end. With the help of Ulmer I discovered my secondary was set up wrong from the factory, I have the spring wrapped correctly now and it helped but it's still not right. The belt sucks. If the 8jp is new it performs pretty well, hit 103 mph/101 gps in perfect conditions with a new belt. Now with about 4-500 miles on that belt am lucky it will do 90 in the same conditions and is constantly over reving. Will be getting a Ulmer clutch kit this fall, just need to decide if I am going to get my secondary machined or not. I will be asking Ulmer to set it up for a 8DN. The sled seems down on power compared to my Nytro and I think this is why, lots to be gained here IMO.

Tri Hub.
Why is this POS still in there!? I have watched two separate friends have rides shortened because of it, one at 1200 and one at 1800. We were 3 hrs from home on the last ride of the season the last time. At 1000 miles I am on borrowed time in my opinion. JT stealth big wheel 4th wheel kit is already ordered, should be here this week.

Warm start issue.
Doesn't do it every time but it shouldn't ever do it IMO. It always starts with a little throttle, seems almost like it's flooded a little bit to me.

Poor design /engineering.
I appreciate how easy it is to do a oil change on the Viper vs Nytro but why in the hell would you not put a drain plug in the the chaincase!?! And why would you make the oil tank mount and seal to the chaincase cover? Stupidity! And what is with all the crappy torx fasteners and the gallons of loctite they put on every one? I am sure that they went in great, they sure don't come back out worth a crap! Fastenal will get to know me very well in the coming years I think.

Overall I really like the sled, just need to get a couple things corrected to truly love it. I think it's a pretty good first year hybrid in reality, hopefully the calibrations are better on the 2015. Sharpest looking machine on snow.

DeerHuntr said:
Previous sled: 2009 Nytro RTX, 5000 miles on it
Current Sled: Viper RTX SE

I started my season contemplating whether or not to accept delivery of my Viper or not due to a torn ACL and surgery scheduled on December 2nd. I picked it up the week before my surgery and as it turned out I am really glad I did.
THE GOOD:
I managed a little over 1000 miles since the beginning of February. I had the chaincase update done before I even rode it and that is the only trip to the dealer for service. I have it handling like it's on rails, for the first time since I bought my Nytro new in 09 I am looking forward to the twisty sections of trails, it's just a blast. The ergonomics are perfect for me. Even though I haven't been able to stand up and ride like I normally do in the rough sections the little bit I have the transition from sitting to standing seems very easy even after my surgery. I like the position the bars and the feel of them, no issues with the brakes either. The throttle flipper felt awkward for a while but I am used to it now. The simplified hand and thumb warmer switches are a huge improvement and I also like the gauges allot compared to my Nytro, very functional and easy to read and use while riding at speed. The front suspension is amazing to me, it soaks up everything and begs for more. Wish the rear suspension was as good.

THE NOT SO GOOD :
Rear suspension calibration.
I am a 300# rider, consider myself to be fairly aggressive and this thing is just too stiff. I have my rear torsion springs set to the lightest setting, front skid coil over spring in the stock position. I have maybe bottomed it out twice, it just seems harsh compared to the other new sleds I have ridden. Thinking about getting my shocks revalved over the summer, the only reservation I have in doing this is the ride has improved with miles. Wondering if I should wait but also wondering why I should have to.

Clutching calibration.
My clutching seems all out of whack. I am constantly on the Rev limiter on the bottom end. With the help of Ulmer I discovered my secondary was set up wrong from the factory, I have the spring wrapped correctly now and it helped but it's still not right. The belt sucks. If the 8jp is new it performs pretty well, hit 103 mph/101 gps in perfect conditions with a new belt. Now with about 4-500 miles on that belt am lucky it will do 90 in the same conditions and is constantly over reving. Will be getting a Ulmer clutch kit this fall, just need to decide if I am going to get my secondary machined or not. I will be asking Ulmer to set it up for a 8DN. The sled seems down on power compared to my Nytro and I think this is why, lots to be gained here IMO.

Tri Hub.
Why is this POS still in there!? I have watched two separate friends have rides shortened because of it, one at 1200 and one at 1800. We were 3 hrs from home on the last ride of the season the last time. At 1000 miles I am on borrowed time in my opinion. JT stealth big wheel 4th wheel kit is already ordered, should be here this week.

Warm start issue.
Doesn't do it every time but it shouldn't ever do it IMO. It always starts with a little throttle, seems almost like it's flooded a little bit to me.

Poor design /engineering.
I appreciate how easy it is to do a oil change on the Viper vs Nytro but why in the hell would you not put a drain plug in the the chaincase!?! And why would you make the oil tank mount and seal to the chaincase cover? Stupidity! And what is with all the crappy torx fasteners and the gallons of loctite they put on every one? I am sure that they went in great, they sure don't come back out worth a crap! Fastenal will get to know me very well in the coming years I think.

Overall I really like the sled, just need to get a couple things corrected to truly love it. I think it's a pretty good first year hybrid in reality, hopefully the calibrations are better on the 2015. Sharpest looking machine on snow.

Could you possibly post what ulmer said your spring wrap should be??
My clutching on my rtx is terrible. I have it home now and would like to check it against what you say.
Thanks

Previous sled 2008 Nytro, still have it. Before that was a 2006 Attak.

Finished out the season with 2,3XX miles Easter weekend. I know I had many more miles this season but these are the miles on the Viper :)

The Good :)
This Viper outperforms any other sled in the suspension department as far as ride comfort, responsiveness and handling! Ask anyone that has driven my sled or has seen me ride....they will tell you I can make this sled dance! My settings (which took some practice) work excellent and many have set up their own sleds with my settings and love their sled how it handles. The engine purrs, the clutching that is in it now is darn near perfect! I ordered the XTX and I am so glad I did! The transfer is incredible and gives a great ride. The 141 track stays afloat in the deep stuff and it's a great sled to throw around :)

The bad
My left handwarmer went out the same day my exhaust muffler blew out. TA Motorsports replaced the muffler off of another Viper on the floor to get me back on the trail. Another Yamaha dealer fixed my left handwarmer and put my reverse update in. All covered under warranty. Only had 2 times with a hot start issue and this past weekend was the worst one. The hose clamps have finally stopped loosening after I put a dab of red loctite on them.

I am extremely happy with my Viper :)

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=125022

Back