• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yellow grounding block wire identification.

tcskibike

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Phazer RTX
First I have read all the threads on the yellow grounding block. i got the dread 43 code and sled wouldn't start. I also got 81. Anyway I found what I thought was a smoking gun. The number 1 wire (leftmost wire when tab is up) was smoked. I grounded that and fuel pump started to make noise. So more investgation yields number two wire was bad as well but even though it didn't look like it was bad. I grounded number 2 and a noise up on top of engine started. I was them able to jump the starter solenoid and start machine. So 1 = fuel pump 2 = fuel pressure regulator? The tech bulletin say to ground 4 and 5 to new sub harness. Does any one know what wires 3 , 4, 5 and 6 are for. I was thinking of soldering two of these to one wire and route three new wires right to battery . Will that work? Does anyone know why these wires come together into the grounding block, it looks like it allows them to share grounding wires. Is it for redundancy in case one ground goes bad after block does it allow fir another path.

I'm on day 2 of debugging this any info would be good

Pretty tall order to identify those ground wires. Best you could do is check each one for ground. Another one to check is the ground wire from the battery. There is a spade connector that has caused me trouble before. I just cut it out and soldered the ends.

Other than that. you could look at the schematics in the manual and go to each end of those wires to check for ground.

Thanks Moose. Does anyone have a manual in .PDF? I bought he RTX used and didnt get the manual.

The link to it is in the FAQ.

The link to it is in the FAQ.
I have a 2007 Gt and 2008 RTX. I bought both used. I bought the 2007 from a Yamaha dealer. 2 weeks ago the 2007 wouldn’t start. The dealer has had it 2 weeks and informed me of the service bulletin and advised me the ground burn’t up. They said Yamaha was going to replace the harness. They ordered the part it was coming out of Japan. Now 2 weeks later they told me that Yamaha is telling them that the part won’t be there until Feb 28. This is my kids sled so we might as well kiss the season good bye. The dealer has been great about everything. They tell me that the part shows in stock but Yamaha is telling them they ship it ground so it goes on a ship and you get it when you get it. I wasn’t even given the option of paying for better shipping. They are still trying to get an answer from Yamaha. My question is did you take yours to a dealer and try and get Yamaha to replace the part? Or were you told its your problem and the grounding problems is yours to figure out? Because if thats the case I have 2 Phazers I need to sell. I don’t know if I will replace with a Yamaha.

No dealer for me here in VT, I tried to get the part as well but no one has it in stock. You can easily fix this your self start at the yellow grounding block to right of oil tank near top. I am super close. I am pretty sure after tearing apart whole sled that the damage is isolated to the grounding block. I will try and post pics but I am phoneless right now. My daughter dropped it in hot Chocolate!

Maybe ask the dealer to McGyver it until the "official" fix parts come in. They could do it like in the bulletin or hell, even like this would work. It is just a ground and not power after all.

Power distribution (Small).png

I just spoke to Customer relations. They claim there are 156 wire harnesses available in a warehouse in Wisconsin. I also found a used harness at a snowmobile salvage yard. I’m going to go to the dealer tomorrow and get it straightened out.

I have come to conclusion that I a, going to cut the yellow grounding block out and wire 3 pairs directly to battery. Moose do you think this will work? What is the function of the block? What would happen if it was deleted. The only logical reason I can see for all the ground to come together and the take separate paths out to ground is for redundancy m one ground failure would be handled and a new path to ground would happen automatically?

I tested the resistance in every wire coming out of the yellow block, only #1 was good with .01 ohms. All the rest measure 14 ohms. That's bad, they should all have no resistance right? There is nothing after the block that would introduce that resistant on purpose is there? All the wire coming out off block attach to a large grey wire at different point along its length, this grey wire goes directly to negative terminal on battery.

Each individual black wire goes to a component AFAIK so that's the reason most show some sort or resistance. Your plan sounds good.

Do any of you know if the yellow block was discontinued in 2008. When you research them on eBay most of them don’t have the yellow block. I spoke to Hudon’s Sled salvage today. They have a couple of 2008 phazers nothing with a yellow block. The yellow block on my sled is burn’t out. Minimum the yellow block needs to be replaced. The factory fix is a yellow block that clips into that the original yellow block and then double grounds to the frame and battery. Just wondering if any of you know. I’m going to call the Yamaha dealer in Old Forge and see if the know the answer

I thought the yellow block was part of the ground update that was for 2007-2009 Phazers?

The update actually kept the original yellow block. It added a smaller clear block with a black cap that took two wires from the yellow block to this separate block with its own wire to the battery.

Back