• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Got bit by the grounding block issue

Mooseman

I'm not all knowing. Post your question in forum.
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
'07 Venture MP (gone)
'07 Phazer FX (gone)
'09 Phazer GT (gone)
'10 RS Venture GT (My current ride)
'10 Nytro FX (son's)
This is something I have known about since I got this sled 11 years ago but I had been keeping an eye on it and the yellow block was always in good condition. Well yesterday, while out riding, it wouldn't restart. Couldn't hear the fuel pump, gauges powered on but the high beam light would light when I would try to start it but no click from the solenoid or any other relay. So, jumped the starter solenoid and it started. At the next stop, again, no start. When I held the key in the start position long enough, I finally got a code 43 (ECU unable to monitor system voltage due to an open or short circuit in fuel system circuit). Quick search and it pointed right away to the ground block. Play around with the block and it starts right up and would stall if I moved it some more. So got it going and went straight home. It stalled and near stalled a few times and had to play with it some more. And during the ride back, I got a code 83 for faulty hand warmers. Thankfully I had a set of muffs with me.

So pulled out the bulletin on this issue and it says that wires 5 and 6 are to be pulled out and grounded using a new separate block. Also mentions that wire 7 could be burnt, which is the ground wire that usually fails. When I pulled it out, it had heated but was still good. Well I wasn't going to wait a month for the actual Yamaha part so I fixed it myself. I only have a pic of the yellow block but all I did was cut off wires 5 and 6 and soldered them to a 16 gauge wire that I ran to the negative post of the battery, basically the same as their repair part. Wire 7 I reinserted into an empty slot of the yellow block even though the bulletin said it can be cut off if necessary. Figured it can keep grounding those circuits in that block.

Not sure what circuits wires 5 and 6 ground, but probably a high draw, like the hand warmers.

IMG_20190127_143901_resized-244398484.jpg

At least you got home and it was something simple. Also good to hear you are riding from home. Last year was not your best year with that machine.
Do you know what years this issue applies to? Thanks Mooseman.

'07 to '09. I don't know why I never had it done, and I even brought it in the first year I had it for the cold weather start issue even before riding it.

Last year, the weather was not cooperating and when it did, I had to work. At least work isn't a problem anymore :). Now have problems with the wife's car so I have to drive her to work :mad:. Hoping to trailer to a friend's cottage in Minden this week.

Keep on :sled1:

'07 to '09. I don't know why I never had it done, and I even brought it in the first year I had it for the cold weather start issue even before riding it.

Last year, the weather was not cooperating and when it did, I had to work. At least work isn't a problem anymore :). Now have problems with the wife's car so I have to drive her to work :mad:. Hoping to trailer to a friend's cottage in Minden this week.

Keep on :sled1:
Where exactly is that ground bar? Could you see charring on it upon inspection?

Is this for all 07-09 4 cylinders?

VL's and MP's never had a 4 cylinder :D

That yellow ground block is located taped up in the large wiring harness that passes in front of the oil tank and behind the radiator. In the photo I posted, the oil tank is to the left and the rad is to the right. You have to cut the tape to pull it out.

This is the same for Phazers as well, same years.

Talked to my dealer this fall about this update and he told me that it still availiable as it is considered a safety update from Yamaha. I gave him the vin # for my 09 multi purpose and he said my sled was a candidate for the update. Might want to check with your dealer and check to see if your sled can have the update done! Cheers!

Wouldn't have the bulletin number handy? Have a 08 that has been acting strange.

Here you go.

Attachments

• TY S2009-008 PZ Ground Connector_sm.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 577
I have also been bit by the grounding block issue, thanks to the forum I was able to sort it out after examining all the typical suspects. Question I have, does anyone have or know where to find more information on the grounds / circuits coming in to the block? From the bulletin, and my interpretation, the pin that was burnt was #1 & not #7. Looks like Mooseman’s pic shows pin #1 as burnt too, but references wire 7 as heated? Am I reading the diagram wrong? Ultimately wondering if I can route #1 to the battery with 5 & 6 or if #1 needs to be in the block, as it looks like the heaviest Ga wire in the block thinking in might be the master back to a main ground, hence the reason it was burnt? Might be making a bigger deal then necessary, as I’m sure I can re-pin #1 and get it back in the block, but my curiosity is getting the best of me!

Looks just like mine did. Just do as I did and you'll be fine.

Back