• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

03 Rx-1 - Which front suspension mod to do first?

rgextreme1998

Veteran
Apologize if this has been answered.

I have a stock 03 Rx-1. Would you do the springs first or the sway bar (and which one)? I am a trail rider, not aggressive at all, just want it to handle like a polaris edge. I have a pro x skid revalved for the trail to replace the rear skid.

thanks in advance,

rg

Heres what you need depending on your budget:

#1 13mm sway bar
#2 Ohlin clicker shocks
#3 New Skis (I love my Simmons)

I have an 03 with a mono rear under it and an 05 both have the same front end set up and there is no one that can out handle them. My girlfriend rides the 05 and leads the pack when we run hard!

If you have a tight buget shim the existing skis it realy helps the darting. and if you cant afford the shocks rob a bank. No I'm kidding the variable rate springs that you can get from pioneer or Hygear are a world of diff. but I am telling you I can ride 500 miles a day and with several clicks and adjust to what ever the trails are like. Most people did not like the ride of the rx and blamed it on the rear but alot of the problem starts with the feed back from the front end. You can even by mono shock rear ends now at swap meets for a couple hundred bucks and the mounting plates are only $125 and it takes about 4 to 6 hrs to do the swap alone. :bling

I think you can buy them directly from simmons or if your in stillwater I know the Hitchin Post is a Simmons dealer - at least the Coon Rapids Store is.

When you put them on your gonna want to shim them I rode about 400 miles on the first set I had and found I had ground the fronts of all 4 bars completely off.

You can make the shims out of thick plastic, I made mine out of a flexible material that was originally the removable plastic dividers in a clear tackle box.

I think I stacked 3 drilled, 2 holes in them and attached them to the underside of the rubber blocks with pan head screws behind the mounting bolt or pivot point with the screws towards the back.

i also have a stock 03 rx-1 that my wife rides. she complains that 'it feels like it's going to tip over' and that it lifts a ski in the turns. would the sway bar fix this? any pics of an install of the sway bar?

Yes it will all but cure it. If she rides aggressively it will still lift but only about 6". Go with the 13mm bar.

You don't need pictures it is the rod that runs through the belly pan behind the lower A arms. There are rod ends that have a bolt through 2 tabs on the A arm and then connects to a aluminum block that is held on by a bolt that compresses the block over the splined shaft on both sides.

You need the new blocks with the extended links because yours will not fit the 13 mm rods. just unbolt the old one slide it out slide the new one in and tighten the bolts 10 minute job. The new bar also comes with new bushings that replace the old ones due to the bar size.

sounds like a project for next off season as the sled is packed up and ready for it's annual migration to the u.p.. After the sway bar mod, what should i do next? im always looking for the biggest bang for the buck.

Well thats a loaded question. do you ride it also or just your wife? How hard do you ride? What do you think is wrong with it? what do you want to be able to do?

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOW MUCH MONEY DO YOU WANT TO SPEND? :jump:

If your just talking about the front end go to the top of this and read my post about the bar, skis and shocks. Also the adjustments to your rear suspension and limiter straps or upgrade to a monoshock.

Back