• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

'03 Suspension Maintenance

CC Rider

I have just finished up going through and re-building my rear suspension in my RX-1. Those of you that are just viewing your suspension without taking it out, may not be really getting a true picture. It may look like it is all right, but wear has taken place. On mine, I have changed almost all bushings because of wear. Cracks in the front W-arm were welded and I reinforced the Arm . Because of bushings worn out, this caused a couple of the shafts to wear as well. I machined new shafts and changed them as well. Bearing should be greased or if need be changed. I have also seen on a few friends sleds , the W-arm bend where the front shaft goes through , so when you try to place the shaft with new bushings it fits too snugly and will not move. Another item , I have seen a small bend in the front shock, if you have noticed a definite one spot rub mark in the middle of the inside of your track, your shock may have a slight shaft bend. This message is not intended to alarm you but simply that your sled has three years of riding on it and maintenance is due. That is of course, if you haven't already have done so.

Very true. In fact - These skids should be pulled every fall and gone over.

Bushings last one season or less, even with greese put to them after every ride. They are cheap and should be replaced every fall. I just went through my skid in Jan. and pulled it last Sun. already it needs new bushings.

Also, a 4th wheel kit is a MUST HAVE for these skids.

You may also want to install bearings on the relay rods and shocks, similar to the old SRX's (2000 I believe?) This was recommended to me by a very knowllegeable and experienced friend who has one of the smoothest Pro-Action skids I've ever ridden, rivalling an EDGE.

Sorry for getting back to you so late,but I was away on holidays. The bushings cost me around $80 and a shock straightening and re-charge was $50. A couple of bearings $10. The rest I was able to do myself. However, If I had to bring it into a dealer, I would have really considered going with another skid. In fact there has been enough written in this site about the Cat skid conversion , that I probably would be very comfortable as the way to go. It is my hope however, with the cross country racing that Yamaha riders will do this year, that a true durable big bump suspension will be developed and will be introduced in the upcoming year(s).

I am in the process of redoing the bushings et al. on my 03 skid. The W arm is a total mess: cracks in the welds, cracks in the metal, bushings totally gone, shaft toast. I considered having the W arm welded, but the bearing races are worn along with the shaft, so I just ordered a new W arm, shaft, and bushings for the rest of the skid. I am new to sledding so I have to ask: is this typical of a 3 year old snow machine or is this a Yamaha learning curve thing?

Next question, how do you press the ball bearings for the suspension wheels on their respective shafts? Do you need a press or can you carefully drive them on with a proper sized pipe and hammer?

After reading this I got a little worried so I pulled my suspension from my Warrior with 2300 miles.

All the bushings show little to any wear. I haven't found any cracked welds yet either. I did find a rough bearing in one of the large upper wheels and in one of the mini upper center wheels.

I figure I'll replace the bushings anyways since it is pulled.

I really grease often and alot. When I first brought the sled home I pumped over half a tube in. And I always pump in excess through out the season, so it gobs out the ends .

Back