• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

05' ski question

blue05rx1

Veteran
I'm about to order some accessories for my sled, snow screens, belly pan, windsheild ect. One of them is getitng some new skis. I was set on buying the sadleless ski from yamaha in blue, w/ a black handle, I think it looks better than what comes on the sled. But I've noticed this flex ski from simmons. It looks a little goofy maybe, or different anyhow. I know some of you guys have them. Did you find the handleing to be that much better, and are they worht the extra money?. $396+
shipping and tax directly from simmons, although I'm sure they can be found A LITTLE cheaper from dealers.

Thanks for the help everyone! :yam:
JIm

The one thing.. the one MAJOR beef I have with Yamaha about this sled.. is the skis that they come with. Given the weight of the sled, that you simply cannot argue with, a ski thats so small that its obviously not appropriate for anything that weighs over 450 lbs is horrible. The stock, and also the saddleless Yamaha skis (they're the same except the keel is not quite as deep) are DANGEROUS. You cannot always predict the conditions that you drive in, and sometimes, you can get this gooey or crusty snow that can catch a ski. With the lack of flotation on the stock skis, the sled can go into front-end gyrations at high speeds, which can (and has been known to) result in barrel rolls.

The Simmons skis are the MOST IMPORTANT improvement that you can do to the sled in terms of safety and handling. Safety comes first.

I may not always agree with LB on everything but what he just stated is dead on. ;)! I too have the Simmons skis and they are night and day a part from the stock ski. As for pricing, you may want to check an upcoming snowmobile show. I saw these skis for as low as $299 at one.

Are they very hard to install yourself? These are just particularly mountain skis? I ride in northern lower MI on and off trail, but no out west riding. Also as far as the carbides go I see you can get the standard (2) two flat ones, or one "cutting" one standard, or 2 "cutting". Do you guys stick with the standards carbides. Last I'm assuming these prices are for a set of skis, I Hope?
-Jim

Very easy to install just remove bolt from old skies, keep rubber and install rubber and Simmons. I've had 3 pair and at this point have gone to 6" carbides all around to give me the best cut when turning. The prices shown are per pair, if you have new RX1 see if your dealer will give you credit against Simmons, which Yamama sells, and give him back Yamaha skis.

Jim

Thanks for your advice/help greenmachine. Mrsled I'm not exactly sure what color I want to go with on the sreens, but I will keep you in mind if I go white.

Guys there is a new ski out on the market called Sly Dog, their number is 1-866-SLY-DOGS (759-9641). They are a aggressive trail ski that should float great & has a new designed keel on them. I have a few sets for early testing, I will take a picture this weekend of them! :Rockon:

SRXSPEC any idea how much they are going to be sold for? are they arched like the simmons dual carbides etc? I've been looking for a set of simmons but if these are better ;)!

Ive heard alot of great things about the simons skis... \

I have the C@A PRO skis which both BBY and JTSRX have on there sleds and i will say they made the BIGGEST difference in turing and handling over anything else i didn on my sled!

Back