• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

06 Apex mtn mcx build.

le700

Expert
Hi. I just ordered a mcx 290 kit for my 06 apex mountain. I ordered with clutch weights, snorkel and mcx display. Do i need anything else? Will the mcx clutching be good enough?

I plan on putting the kit on myself. I'm not an expert mechanic, but i have done quite a lot of stuff on cars and other snowmobiles so i guess i'll be alright there.
One thing i wonder about is: will there be a new cam gear included, or will i have to modify the old one (i.e thicker head gasket..)?

Any other thoughts will be appreciated..

You grind/slot your old intake cam sprocket after installing the new headgasket/headshim. MCX install manual that comes with the kit takes you through it.

Thanks. I found the mcx manual in rxriders thread. It's a bit of work, but hopefully i'll manage.
I'm a bit worried that i'll grind to much, or uneven, but guess i should start of with a round file carefully..

Thanks a lot TT.

Does anyone know of a good clutch setup that will work? Will the mcx weights be sufficient? Is a shockwave adjustable helix a must have?
It's a stock geared 06 mountain with reverse (as it was standard here in norway in 06) and a 260/290 mcx rear mount kit, and i would like tips about proven stuff that work well without excessive belt wear.

Got the kit a while ago. I have started to take the sled apart.
A few more questions have popped up.
- When the oil filter adapter is removed with the nut tool (m20x1,5), how do you fasten the new oil filter adapter? If you use the nut tool on the new oil filter adapter, then you would break the threads on it... The manual only says to install it, it does not specify how to do it.
- The manual also says that new or low milage sleds don't have to measure valve clearance before head removal, but after the install of the head it has to be done to be sure none of the shims have moved (aka you have to measure it before..), but the question is: can the valve shim move, if you don't take the valve caps off?

Maybe stupid questions, but better to be safe than sorry.

I fitted 290 kit last year, but then had mcx remove the oil filter adapter
and pulled the oil line to the oil pressure switch.
shims under the lifters can fall out if you wiggle the cylinder head upside down.

It was not me who removed the oil filter adapter, it was mcx who did not use it any more in the kit.

Well, the build has started. The engine is complete, next thing is finishing the intercooler install, and then the oil lines. (btw i got the old type with oil filter housing with my kit, but the manual is about the new type, with the oil pressure sensor..).
- About the intercooler, i´m thinking that it has to sit on the frame where the hole is sawed, to keep it as high as possible in the tunnel. But will it wear in that area? i´m thinking that some rubber around it must be wise to put around it. Any thoughts? Anyone got more detailed pictures of how they mounted their intercoolers (how far to the front it goes, about where the fastening hole is drilled etc..)?
- How much am i supposed to torque the exhaust bolts (header to engine)? Are there any torque specs for the exhaust clamps?

Any help/advice will be appreciated.

Edit: The intercooler mentioned, is the one in the tunnel. The other one should be fine...

Found the torque specs in rockerdans exhaust ring/y-pipe thread, about 22-24 Nm for the header bolts.

But pictures of precooler instalations would still be apreciated..

WP_000558.jpg

WP_000556.jpg

i dont know if this help you,,

Back