• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

06 GT Ohlins shock?

yamahinn03

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
USA
Snowmobile
12 Nytro XTX (mine)
06 Apex GT (wifes)
07 Phazer (#2 sons)
02 Viper (#1 Sons)
06 Apex GT. Had the rear shock rebuilt last year mid season. Apears to be shot again!!! What is a better solution for these shocks. Replacements or who is good at rebuilding them???

What is wrong with it? Does rebound knob not have many clicks? Does adjustment option not work in guage?

Only a few clicks then just turns, nothing shows up on gauge. There is no rebound in the shock neither.

Its all on the spring for rebound.

I struggled to get a single season out of my Ohlins EC every year I rode the sled. It always failed by the spring time. In the end I gave up and switched it out to a KYB from an ER/LTX with custom valving and a spring suitable for my weight. For day to day trail riding it worked just as well, if not better, and I would have it rebuilt every other season to keep it fresh.

If that happens to my Customers they would get a New sealhead. Also cannot be bottoming out. Have to adjust till it doesn’t.

Steve, can I give ya a ring after 4 this afternoon??

Just sent my ohlins to hygear , as I'm in NY and it's an hour away, some say they are great and others say they don't get much from one of their builds .. last year was my first with my Apex and loved the sled but hated the ride , the guy who owned it before me had the shock done by hygear before and had the "dual rate" springs put on ...I'm around 205 W/O gear and To me it seems the sled sagged to much even when adjusted properly as per spec, and still had to add more preload to get the bumper off the ground , on a soft setting with the EC it would ride nice over small stutters and normal conditions .. but when things got rough , I bumped up the EC and the ride got harsh! I think the dual rate maybe too weak for this application, makes the sled sit low and is harsh on anything other than soft .. BUT my ohlins was leaking and rebound clicker had real "soft" clicks , and I figured It was time for a rebuild , I'm not sure how long it was seince the last rebuild on this ohlins , but I'm hopefull with some adjustments to my valving and springs they can make this beast ride better

Just sent my ohlins to hygear , as I'm in NY and it's an hour away, some say they are great and others say they don't get much from one of their builds .. last year was my first with my Apex and loved the sled but hated the ride , the guy who owned it before me had the shock done by hygear before and had the "dual rate" springs put on ...I'm around 205 W/O gear and To me it seems the sled sagged to much even when adjusted properly as per spec, and still had to add more preload to get the bumper off the ground , on a soft setting with the EC it would ride nice over small stutters and normal conditions .. but when things got rough , I bumped up the EC and the ride got harsh! I think the dual rate maybe too weak for this application, makes the sled sit low and is harsh on anything other than soft .. BUT my ohlins was leaking and rebound clicker had real "soft" clicks , and I figured It was time for a rebuild , I'm not sure how long it was seince the last rebuild on this ohlins , but I'm hopefull with some adjustments to my valving and springs they can make this beast ride better
Do they have Crossovers in that dual rate setup? That may be what is needed. Either add them or adjust them. Smaller gap on lighter spring would help that.

I'm waiting to hear back from them ,they do a tear down and evaluation based on what the shock condition is and what I've told them I'm having trouble with ... I was advised from another that the dual rate sucks for this specific mono set up and I would be happier with the stock YELLOW spring .. but then again I think the shock was set up for a much lighter rider 165-175, I'm 205 w/o gear , but that still doesn't help with the sag , alot say the sag is normal , but I've got a good 4-6 inches of sag and the sled looks "low" and always has

I am running the original ohlins had it rebuilt at 10,880 miles ( Bruce) and sled rides great still at 17,000 miles. The electronics were replaced twice and found that didn't need it and was a pain in the ... to keep attempting the cable fix every year, so I left it alone. The shock holds last setting and still is adjustable for ride in height (Spring) and damping via clicks on the shock. once your set up is done you are all set for the year. just my 2 cents. good luck

Got a call and my estimate back from hygear , it was rebuilt by them back in 2009, and is in VERY good physical condition ,what I was told by the tech I spoke with ,shock was functioning at approx 15% ,oil was like sludge , and the dual rate springs I have in it are made for 300+ lbs!!!! I'm like wow , he said obviously some one set this up to ride double , I was never told that when I bought it .. the tech was very helpful and awnsered all my questions , they are going to do a spring and valve change for my weight , rebuilt and test it , price was a little more than I expected , close to $600 , but the tech assures me I will be 100% happy with the quality ride I will get from this build

I have not had no where near the problems with my shock as some others have reported, but, I tend to agree with your statements regarding sag and preload. I prefer the ride height on my sled to be as high as possible, with minimal sag. That is very hard to do with Hygears spring choice. I understand their selection and trying to provide a plush ride with a somewhat soft main spring, yet good bottoming resistance with the VERY stiff helper spring. But the main spring is too soft and short. I measured the combination of the 2 springs free length to be .75 inches shorter than an Ohlins spring. That's giving up preload and travel right there. Now the ride is improved with their setup, but, IMO, it still is too narrow of a range for my liking. For this season I have gone back to the 6.1 Ohlings spring. Set at max preload, it gives me the ride height and initial stiffness that I'm looking for. Now hopefully I can tune the settings for the type of "all around" ride I prefer.

Back