• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

07 attak backfire

Thumper1000

Expert
Have an 07 attak with 1k miles so it's basically just broke in, anyway when I was out this weekend in the UP MI. after riding at sustained speeds of 85 or more when I would come to a stop it would backfire 1 to 3 times now what I am wondering is the mapping off for cold weather so that I am running to lean in cold temps it was -8f with highs of 0f anyone else had this problem.

Millerman said:
Dude, I seriously doubt the exhaust donuts went in 1K miles.

Why not? Mine went at about 2,200 miles, warranting replacement of 3 donuts and a left side Y pipe.

Sounds like the symptoms though. Better to check it now before you do more damage than necessary.

--Steve (O.C.)

Just to clarify this backfire is out of the rear tailpipes not the engine as far as I can tell, if this helps, thanks.

Any other way besides waiting for backfires to know when they are starting to fail?

Hmmm, my doughnuts are fine and my Attak will backfire when I stop after sustained high speed runs over 100 mph. You are not the only one.

Attachments

• t_p1180305_458.jpg
    t_p1180305_458.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 89
defintely the exhaust donuts. my 06 attak donuts just went and my buddies 07 attak had them go last year...granted my sled has 6300 miles and my buddies has 6900.

a guy had a post like this awhile back and said to plug both exhaust pipes and if the sled stalls the doughuts are good. If it doesn't then there must be a leak somewhere. Although I wont be trying this on mine it does make sense lol.

It could be the donuts, cracked flex pipe or a cracked Y pipe. I had a bad donut and a cracked flex pipe and I was getting an "Afterfire" not backfire when decelerating. A backfire comes through the intake and a afterfire comes through the exhaust. I would bet money your problem is due to one of the reasons listed above. JMO

IMG_0199-2.jpg

Swiss Sledder said:
Hmmm, my doughnuts are fine and my Attak will backfire when I stop after sustained high speed runs over 100 mph. You are not the only one.

x2 on colder days of sustained high speed WOT I will on occasion have fire spitting out the rear exhaust w/some backfire...

When your sled is cold at start up try the rag test, get 2 rags start your sled and let it idle and PLUG the 2 rear exhaust outlet while running you have to put a lot of pressure, if she stalls everything is fine if she doesn't your in trouble listened and find the leak! ;)!

I believe the backfire is unburned fuel in the exhaust system...sleds that have no air leaks(cracks or donut leaks) dont draw air into the sytem...thereby being sealed from oxygen...unburned fuel in the exhaust wont burn without oxygen...so IMHO a backfire is a sign of air leakage somewhere in the exhaust system..

Sorry to say man but its probably the dounuts. Your sled being fairly new you wont have that much of trouble loosening bolts due to little to no rust. Its not a horrible job, get it done friday night ride it saturday.

-James

Back