• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

07 Phazer MTX Air Box Mod

I'm currently working on a project that will require some modifications of the airbox, and I feel that there are significant improvements possible by increasing the airflow, and especially if that air is colder. On my last sledding day of this season (June 1st), I had an unfortunate run-in with some trees as a result of the left-hand throttle being engaged unintentionally, resulting in a broken airbox and headlight. Okay, so it wasn't just accidentally engaged, it was pressed fully open and stayed that way until the sled and I came to rest in a stand of trees. Probably the scariest thing I've experienced on a sled so far!

After we pulled the sled out and got it started, I was able to drive it back to the truck (only a mile or so), and it basically had no restrictions to the intake at all. The only part of the original 'intake' that was left was the two curved rubber 'horns' that direct air into the throttle body. I'm not sure exactly why, but the throttle response was INSANE! I don't think I had to press the throttle lever more than 1/8" for the whole drive back, and even the slightest press caused the sled to lurch forward. I was just relieved that it ran and I was able to limp it back to the trailer so I didn't mess around, but it surely felt like if I had just gone full-throttle for a second or two, the sled would have certainly pulled the skis off the ground, the torque just felt immense! As you can imagine, it was also pretty loud and sounded very burly, about like a 2-stroke motor with a loud can.

So to sum it up, the throttle bodies had virtually no restrictions, and the two little hoses that run from the throttle body (one for each cylinder) to the air pressure sensor had pulled off. The sled didn't want to stay running at idle, but ran fine while driving. After I got home and re-attached the small hoses to the air pressure sensors, it idled fine again. At this point, I'm not sure if the extra throttle response and power was somehow just a result of those hoses being disconnected, or the fact that there were NO restrictions to the intake airflow. I'm leaning towards the unrestricted intake being the cause of the extra power, which has intrigued me and makes me wonder just how much power could be gained by a much more free-flowing intake.

Since the headlight is broken (just the reflective back part where the bulbs mount) and I'm not too eager to spend $130 or so on another whole assembly, I've been considering making up some kind of velocity stack or intake tube arrangement that would be integrated with some projector beam headlights into one whole "intake/headlight" assembly. I'm curious if anyone else has had a similar experience with running their Phazer with no intake. Not that I suggest it, just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with the extra throttle response and power.

I'm currently working on a project that will require some modifications of the airbox, and I feel that there are significant improvements possible by increasing the airflow, and especially if that air is colder. On my last sledding day of this season (June 1st), I had an unfortunate run-in with some trees as a result of the left-hand throttle being engaged unintentionally, resulting in a broken airbox and headlight. Okay, so it wasn't just accidentally engaged, it was pressed fully open and stayed that way until the sled and I came to rest in a stand of trees. Probably the scariest thing I've experienced on a sled so far!

After we pulled the sled out and got it started, I was able to drive it back to the truck (only a mile or so), and it basically had no restrictions to the intake at all. The only part of the original 'intake' that was left was the two curved rubber 'horns' that direct air into the throttle body. I'm not sure exactly why, but the throttle response was INSANE! I don't think I had to press the throttle lever more than 1/8" for the whole drive back, and even the slightest press caused the sled to lurch forward. I was just relieved that it ran and I was able to limp it back to the trailer so I didn't mess around, but it surely felt like if I had just gone full-throttle for a second or two, the sled would have certainly pulled the skis off the ground, the torque just felt immense! As you can imagine, it was also pretty loud and sounded very burly, about like a 2-stroke motor with a loud can.

So to sum it up, the throttle bodies had virtually no restrictions, and the two little hoses that run from the throttle body (one for each cylinder) to the air pressure sensor had pulled off. The sled didn't want to stay running at idle, but ran fine while driving. After I got home and re-attached the small hoses to the air pressure sensors, it idled fine again. At this point, I'm not sure if the extra throttle response and power was somehow just a result of those hoses being disconnected, or the fact that there were NO restrictions to the intake airflow. I'm leaning towards the unrestricted intake being the cause of the extra power, which has intrigued me and makes me wonder just how much power could be gained by a much more free-flowing intake.

Since the headlight is broken (just the reflective back part where the bulbs mount) and I'm not too eager to spend $130 or so on another whole assembly, I've been considering making up some kind of velocity stack or intake tube arrangement that would be integrated with some projector beam headlights into one whole "intake/headlight" assembly. I'm curious if anyone else has had a similar experience with running their Phazer with no intake. Not that I suggest it, just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with the extra throttle response and power.
I’m curious about the outcome to this? Update?

Oh rise from the dead ye slumbering thread!

Sadly, I have no updated information to add at this time, though I do still intend to finish the project...someday. I ended up buying another snowmobile to ride (so I didn't NEED to fix the '07 Phazer immediately), and then found another Phazer so have just been using those two machines for a while. I still have everything for the intake project, so could probably put it on the '08 Phazer to test it out once I finish the little venturi tubes that the air filters would connect to, though have not done any more with an integrated headlight/intake system.

Unfortunately, the transmission in my daily driver/tow vehicle 'went out' back in January, so I am currently waist deep in rebuilding it and fixing a variety of other issues with that vehicle, so I haven't done any sled riding this season. If I get the truck finished before the snow is gone (another month or two) I would definitely like to get out and ride a bit. I may try to machine up those venturi tubes one of these days and then could test them on the '08 Phazer, which is otherwise completely stock. Any test results would be simply a 'gut' feeling based on what the performance 'felt' like with the stock intake vs. the modified intake with venturis and separate filters, but I should be able to swap them out on the mountain to minimize other variables.

Back