• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

'16 Viper MTX 141 starting problem

McLovin

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
1997 Mountain Max 700 144 1.5
Heya fellas.
Had a problem with my sled (still under warranty) yesterday. Was -30C overnight, and hadn't ridden it in a couple of weeks. It took a bit to start it in the morn (about -25C), but it went. Ran for a bit, warmed up, putted around just a bit. Turned it off for about half an hour. Went to restart it and it wouldn't fire. Dash wouldn't stay lit with key in "on" position. Something seemed funny, thought it was a connection or electrical issue since it wouldn't fire whatsoever either. Killed the battery trying to get it to fire.
Left battery charger on for about an hour and a bit and rode my '97 Mountain Max 700 in the meantime. Returned and (after reading up about cold starts) turned the ignition on 4 times before turning it over (hadn't done this previously). This time it started right away and I rode it the rest of the day without a problem.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what the problem might have been? Have there been any known ignition etc. problems? Could it have flooded? If this might actually be an issue I would obviously like to get it figured out while it is still on warranty. Thanks for any thoughts or insight into this.
Here is a YouTube video of my problem yesterday morning:

I'd suggest getting the 2nd sled out of there so the guys can help you better. First thing they are going to ask you/listen for is whether the fuel pump cycled.

Ya cant hear the fuel pump with the other sled running. Is the ecm up to date on flashes?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks a lot for the replies guys, great point. Next time I will. I don't really trust that the dealership I bought the sled from was up to date on things. Can I call any dealership with my serial # to see if it has the proper flash?

Thanks a lot for the replies guys, great point. Next time I will. I don't really trust that the dealership I bought the sled from was up to date on things. Can I call any dealership with my serial # to see if it has the proper flash?
I would assume so, easiest way to find out is to just call another dealer and see.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Yes call any dealer with your vin # and they will tell you everything that has been done to your sled relating to repairs.flashes included

Thanks for this guys!
Yep another dealer easily told me that all flashes were up to date. Have had no more problems so will just chalk it up to not knowing about running the fuel pump a few times first, and will hope for the best in the future. Haven't had any more problems and have had an amazing season of deep backcountry powder! Thanks again guys.

Thanks for this guys!
Yep another dealer easily told me that all flashes were up to date. Have had no more problems so will just chalk it up to not knowing about running the fuel pump a few times first, and will hope for the best in the future. Haven't had any more problems and have had an amazing season of deep backcountry powder! Thanks again guys.

Glad to hear you’ve got it sorted out. I had a blast this season on my little ‘16 MTX 141. We had great snow in the Black Hills and it never let me down in the meadows with deep powder or on the trails. One more big trip to the Big Horns next week. I know it’s not the most powerful sled, but for a 4 Stroke it’s fairly light and geared low enough it’ll get through the deep without bogging down. It won’t do what the 153s and 162s will do, but for NA it’s not over tracked. That 2.25” powerclaw will dig n dig. :)

One modification I made being 6’1 is swapping out the 2” handlebar riser for a 3.5” riser. The extra 1 1/2” really helps me maneuver it off trail and stand up in the rough.

Heya fellas.
Had a problem with my sled (still under warranty) yesterday. Was -30C overnight, and hadn't ridden it in a couple of weeks. It took a bit to start it in the morn (about -25C), but it went. Ran for a bit, warmed up, putted around just a bit. Turned it off for about half an hour. Went to restart it and it wouldn't fire. Dash wouldn't stay lit with key in "on" position. Something seemed funny, thought it was a connection or electrical issue since it wouldn't fire whatsoever either. Killed the battery trying to get it to fire.
Left battery charger on for about an hour and a bit and rode my '97 Mountain Max 700 in the meantime. Returned and (after reading up about cold starts) turned the ignition on 4 times before turning it over (hadn't done this previously). This time it started right away and I rode it the rest of the day without a problem.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what the problem might have been? Have there been any known ignition etc. problems? Could it have flooded? If this might actually be an issue I would obviously like to get it figured out while it is still on warranty. Thanks for any thoughts or insight into this.
Here is a YouTube video of my problem yesterday morning:

Pretty sure is a frozen relay

Back