• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

17' Jackshaft Upgrade

DTJ

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 Yamaha Viper XTX, hurricane 190 kit
2013 Yamaha Apex XTX
2017 Yamaha Sidewinder BTX
Just finished upgrading my 14' XTX jack shaft to the 17' jack shaft and bearing. I had just over 9,000 miles on the original bearings and figured it's time to do the upgrade. Everything was original in the chain case except for the upper gear bushing. I found a jack shaft off a low mileage wrecked Sidewinder super cheap and ordered the rest of the parts from Yamaha. The job really wasn't to bad. I couldn't get the threaded collar to break loose under the gear so I used Cannondale's recommendation of using a bearing puller on the clutch side to pull the bearing and aluminum support first and then tap the bearing out the chain case side with the shaft. The only thing that's different with the newer 17' setup is as far as I could tell is the bearing is narrower which requires coming up with a spacer to add to the bearing housing to make up for the extra 4mm gap. I found a couple of large c-clips at the hardware store that fit. Really the only reason you need them would be if the bearing ended up moving over in the housing. Other than that everything assembled and seemed to line up just the same as the 14' setup except this new setup up will be a lot easier to change bearings when the time comes. I've attached pics of the 14 and 17 shaft lined up, the parts I replaced, the c-clips I used as spacers in bearing housing and the assembled unit.

Attachments

• Jackshafts1.jpg
    Jackshafts1.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 332
  • Parts list1.jpg
    Parts list1.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 310
  • C clip1.jpg
    C clip1.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 332
  • assembled jackshaft1.jpg
    assembled jackshaft1.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 362
  • chain installed1.jpg
    chain installed1.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 314

It actually helped a lot having a used jack shaft. I was able to see where the seal, bearings and gear rode on the new jack shaft and verify with old shaft that everything would align before assembling.

I would like to upgrade my 2014 viper rtx original to 2017 viper jackshaft,what parts im need???
Only 2017 Jackshaft with 6206 Bearing? And a list of original 2017 circlip and washer?
The 6206 bearing have seal.. need to remove 2 seal?1 seal chaincase side ?

Thank you all

I would like to upgrade my 2014 viper rtx original to 2017 viper jackshaft,what parts im need???
Only 2017 Jackshaft with 6206 Bearing? And a list of original 2017 circlip and washer?
The 6206 bearing have seal.. need to remove 2 seal?1 seal chaincase side ?

Thank you all
Look at parts list at Port Yamaha. Unless you make a spacer you need back case. Jackshaft asst. all the spacer an clips.

Look at parts list at Port Yamaha. Unless you make a spacer you need back case. Jackshaft asst. all the spacer an clips.
With jackshaft bracket or only the shaft is ok ? Where i buy 4mm spacer ?

Get Jackshaft assembly. You can make a spacer. Some guys have run without it but I would then put a clip in groove on Clutch side of Jackshaft.
Thanks but i think i will go with 2016 jackshaft kit

Thanks but i think i will go with 2016 jackshaft kit
Up to you but even though I never had a issue with wobble bearing others surely did. I have not heard of one single failure of 17up setup with a normal bearing and they are being run on Winders with huge power.

Up to you but even though I never had a issue with wobble bearing others surely did. I have not heard of one single failure of 17up setup with a normal bearing and they are being run on Winders with huge power.
I only have stock viper 135hp,the wobble bearing with annual maintenance is ok :)

I updated my 15 Viper to a 17 Sidewinder jackshaft, when I had it. I used 2 internal C-clips as spacers for the bearing. A pair of them measured exactly 4mm and they put just a little outward tension in the opening. You install bearing, put in the 2 spacer c-clips, and then the original c-clip from the wobble bearing. Worked great.

These are the C-clips that I used as spacers.

I am just going by memory but it seems like I just needed the Sidewinder jackshaft, Sidewinder jackshaft bearing in chaincase, and those 2 C-clips in order to perform the swap... but that is just from memory

Last edited:
I updated my 15 Viper to a 17 Sidewinder jackshaft, when I had it. I used 2 internal C-clips as spacers for the bearing. A pair of them measured exactly 4mm and they put just a little outward tension in the opening. You install bearing, put in the 2 spacer c-clips, and then the original c-clip from the wobble bearing. Worked great.

These are the C-clips that I used as spacers.

I am just going by memory but it seems like I just needed the Sidewinder jackshaft, Sidewinder jackshaft bearing in chaincase, and those 2 C-clips in order to perform the swap... but that is just from memory
Ok,the secondary pulley side bracket for 17 jackshaft is not necessary ?

Ok,the secondary pulley side bracket for 17 jackshaft is not necessary ?
No. I didn't need to buy the bracket but I think I may have had to buy the bearing for that side as well. You would have to look up the 2 parts diagrams to compare the bearing numbers. I used my shop press to swap out the shaft/bearing in the bracket with it off the sled.

Back