• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2016 jack shaft upgrade

Mitch Desorcy

MAX PRO
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2014 Yamaha SR Viper LTX SE
How many guys have upgraded to the 2016 jack shaft on there 2014 vipers? Going to be doing my yearly bearing changes and was wondering if it is worth doing or just put in better bearings?

In the process right now. Have not got around to ordering the better aftermarket Wobble bearing yet. Still mulling that over since I did get almost 8000mi on stocker. Rest will be 16 parts including Jackshaft. Big job for sure but its due on mine.

I've got the bearing part numbers for the upper and lower chain case bearings. Does anyone have a part number for the secondary clutch jack shaft bearing. Not the factory one, would prefer a fag or ntn.

Factory 14 one is a Koyo. Thats already a good bearing.
DSC00773.JPG

16 is same thing and you can get whole shaft,support and bearing all pressed together already. Thats the way to go. Is a thread somewhere with all the info. But this is 16 Jackshaft clutch side bearing. Both years Koyo Made in Japan.
DSC00774.JPG

Upgrade to the better FAG upper bearing in the chaincase for starters. This bearing is/was the cause for many problems.

This is my belief....that the bearing was over-tightened. Kind of like a wheel bearing being over-tightened.

Upgrade to the better FAG upper bearing in the chaincase for starters. This bearing is/was the cause for many problems.

This is my belief....that the bearing was over-tightened. Kind of like a wheel bearing being over-tightened.
Makes sense. 16 setup eliminates the nut but a guy still has to be careful that shaft is shimmed right. Is always variance in things like this.

Does anyone have the exact parts list I need to update to the 16 jack shaft? Haven't seen the whole list yet.

Does anyone have the exact parts list I need to update to the 16 jack shaft? Haven't seen the whole list yet.
X2 I want to know the same thing probably doing the upgrade this summer.

My dealer hasn't upgraded any Vipers to the 16 jack shaft yet. So wondering if it is necessary? My reason is 200 hp. Should I only change to the fag bearing?

Is this the same type of issue as the tri-hub, i.e. eventually it will fail? So better be safe than sorry and sooner rather than later??

Birkebeiner

Back