• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

18000 mi Overhaul

yes steam turbine...what's great about that plant is watching the lube oil in the crank...I've worked on some pretty old ships where you watch the lube oil gravity feed down..watch through a sight window. That particular ship was a converted T2 tanker...WWII vintage..the galley was so small and my private room was smaller than a closet.
It's no surprise the Badger has ash recovery or scrubbers on it...I hope the ship continues to run for as long as possible...once gone...ClutchMaster has a point, they certainly don't make machinery for steam engines or ships like they used to...that stuff and hulls were heavy duty!! A company called Sea-Land built some steam ships called SL 7's in the early 70's that would cruise at 33 knots and capable of higher speeds and I believe they set a record for crossing the Atlantic...although they have been modified for military use they still are being used and are the first ships to respond to military action overseas by bringing cargo.
I know this is far subject from sledding yet it is a pretty cool subject...hey it was 90 degrees here today..not much snow action for a while unless we travel to the Andies.
That turbine looks awfully clean...probably not merchant ship lol

glad to read you're well, you are a valuable asset to this site. Joe

Quite an undertaking you have going on there Sir. Going to be the most solid Viper on the snow.
You're building it how I envision the original prototype was before the bean counters had their way.

Since you're down there, have you double check valve clearances? Would hate to peal it down again.

Hope to hook up with you sometime this season. Life, and politics, permitting of course.
Thanks for the great documentation. Nice work!

Last edited:
Quite an undertaking you have going on there Sir. Going to be the most solid Viper on the snow.
You're building it how I envision the original prototype was before the been counters had their way.

Since you're down there, have you double check valve clearances? Would hate to peal it down again.

Hope to hook up with you sometime this season. Life, and politics, permitting of course.
Yes plan to check valves again since it’s almost double the miles since I had to adjust them. I agree should be interesting. Thanks for the kind words and hope to see ya soon!

I’ve watch the Badger come into Luddington many times. I even did a dinner cruise on the 4th of July and watched the fireworks from the deck. That day was like almost 100 degrees and was miserable.

I’ve watch the Badger come into Luddington many times. I even did a dinner cruise on the 4th of July and watched the fireworks from the deck. That day was like almost 100 degrees and was miserable.
The Ludington port is really nice. We are working on beautifying ours in Manitowoc. It’s come a long way.

Back at it after getting swamped with shocks,work,trails and life in hopes of getting done for Houghton next weekend.

Chaincase went perfectly. No leaks so far! No more wobble bearing!
Just finishing up some rivets underneath. When your old this is best way to get at them. Yes Viper is well balanced!
B5E3DF34-DCB3-4A0A-8D21-DA90F3B70579.jpeg

Back at it after getting swamped with shocks,work,trails and life in hopes of getting done for Houghton next weekend.

Chaincase went perfectly. No leaks so far! No more wobble bearing!
Just finishing up some rivets underneath. When your old this is best way to get at them. Yes Viper is well balanced!
View attachment 158077
I couldn't even begin to think about taking on a project like that..admire your mechanical skills and courage to take a complete overhaul...something tells me you'll be ready for next weekend. Merry Christmas!! Joe

I couldn't even begin to think about taking on a project like that..admire your mechanical skills and courage to take a complete overhaul...something tells me you'll be ready for next weekend. Merry Christmas!! Joe
Its my fault for not keeping at it this summer. Next year will be different:hide:Merry Christmas Joe!

You're building it how I envision the original prototype was before the bean counters had their way.

I did check valves. Very easy to do. They were all exactly as I set them 8000? miles ago. Relieved at that one!

Merry Christmas MotorHead. Almost looks like the sledge hammer handle is holding up the rear. I see your shiny new toy is not under the tree. I am doing the snow dance for you. Looking forward to kicking this year to the curb.

Back