• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2003 grizzly wont run when wet

pyro1

4 times since I have had my quad it will crank but wont start. Once was when I had water up to and poss over the fenders, second time was when my friend washed it with a pressure washer, third time when I washed it with a garden hose and today when I was driving in the rain. :(
It will crank over but will not fire, No spark. :o|
At first I thought it was because I got the electronics wet under the seat. But today I was driving in the rain and it just quit and everything under the seat was dry.

I have had this machine since 2003 and it doesnt happen all the time.
Can anyone stear me in the right direction before I start to dig in the machine.

[/b]

More info

Today I removed the front rack and hood and with the machine running I used the garden hose and wet everything down that i could see, the engine didnt miss a beat. :drink: I hit a hard stream to the coil and plug wire and still nothing.
The first time I tried to start it this morning it ran for about 30 sec and quit, then would just crank with no spit or sputter. 1 hour later the same thing. Went to friends house to get extra plug to check spark came back and it continued to run. :o|
HELP. It is just messing with me.

Attachments

• grizzly.jpg
    grizzly.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 96
things to check:

1.) check your start/stop switch out,some times these are the culprits.you may want to take a look inside the housing.
2.)make sure all your electrical connections are plugged in all the way.
3.) when it wont start and cranks over-get a spare spark plug and plug it into the plug wire and see if your getting spark-symptoms of #1 above.

maybe this will help a little...let me know ;)!

More info

Today I talked to my local Yamaha Mechanic and he stated it might be vapor locking, I did have the update kit installed. But with the atv covered in mud (radiator also) it might have ran warm, not hot enough to turn the light on but just warm to the point to cause it to vapor lock. He said to change the jet in the carb to see if this will cure the problem.
Also the air filter was nice and full, it was new at the begining of the weekend.
:? :shock:

the air filter was full of what?was it mud?i hope he told you to change the pilot or idle jet ,you wont do anything for the start circuit with the main jet.before you go playing with the jets maybe try and keep a good eye on the radiator and air filter.

The air filter was full of dirt and dust build up. As far as changing the jet, it was to match it with the summer temp. The range of the factory jets includes winter months. I dont know if I will have them mess with the jets, but like you said just take extra care with making sure the radiator is clear.
There still should be a way to keep the air flow better by the gas tank and the carb to prevent this happening again. I am sure with the mud keeping the engine temps higher the heat build up was more than normal.

Even if you just spray down your bike when your done riding it, especially the radiator this will really help. I packed my front end good on a good muddin trip and it would overheat very quickly. That front end needs good clean airflow...BBY

BlueByYou2000 said:
I packed my front end good on a good muddin trip and it would overheat very quickly.
Not as fast as those poor Polaris riders. :?

I would normally have thought that to be quite funny but four out of ten in my group at the rally in Hurley were riding Polaris Sportsman. Every pitstop was a search for the hose with those machines. We had two of them on tow ropes going into Saxon.

They were fine once they cleaned out and stayed out of the mud. :D

I dont know if it was just by chance that it does this when the quad comes in contact with water or the steam going into the carb has something to do with it, I have had it spit and sputter when I hit some water and the steam comes off the exhaust but this last time it quit there wasnt that instant rush of steam or any that I saw, but I knew it was warm because the fan was running more than normal on that day.
My quad has never accually over heated (light has never turned on)

I plan on installing a snorkel on the front and back to keep the water out of the clutch case and was wondering if I made a snorkel for the air box if that might help with my problems.

Is there any kits for this or are they all home made snorkels?
(Air box or for the cluch)

Back