• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2003 SX600R info wanted

edgerider

Veteran
Can ayone tell me about these sleds? How do they handle? How is the suspension? Top speed, etc. Is there anything to look out for/problems? My friend has one for sale (that I'm storing in my garage) and I'm thinking of buying it from him. Any information you guys could give me would be great. Cheers!

I had an 00 sxr.... the ride was good for then, there have been lots of upgrades to the way sleds ride and handle since then, but for the time period it was a great little sled. The engine is absolutely bullet proof, we put over 5000 miles on it and never once did it ever let us down. Fuel mileage was great and the quality, well it is a yamaha.....

average about 14 mpg, great little sled, very little problems, and there are many little tricks to make them fast for 0 money.

That's one of my biggst things is it's only a 600. Granted it's plenty fast as is but we all know what we do when we hit a lake.

Had an `01 and absolutely loved it, not the first thing across the lake, but it would get there every time, never ever had a problem, no plugs belts, nothing in 7200 miles, just the basic wearing items. with the correct suspension set up, its the best handling sled ive ridden to date... If the price is right i would not hesitate to pick it up!

I still have my '99 136" 700, with Bender pipes, Pioneer shocks, and Ripsaw track. I will never sell it. 7000 miles, 3000 with all the mods, and it still embarrasses many sleds and riders on the trail. It doesn't drop plugs, it doesn't need to be jetted, it's just a very nice pull and go sled (it has electric start and reverse too).

Last year my friend rode it all season, because he didn't have time to repair his Warrior. He absolutely feel in love with it, unfortunately, that wasn't the only thing he fell in. On one particular Friday night ride he was running hot through the woods and dropped it into a thawed swamp hole. He flew over the bars and the sled stopped dead, when we pulled it out the right trailing arm was pointed up in the middle, not good. Many rides would be cut short by such an event, but not on this sled, we rode the remaining 25 miles without any issues.

Well that's not exactly true, it was 25 miles to the turn around point, from there it was 40 miles home, and when we parked on the lake the sled decided to go for a swim. Not deep mind you we were on the shore, but deep enough to cover up to top of the seat, and while I am minorly upset, those in the bar are freaked. The nice thing about an audience is plenty of volunteers to help, and witness amazing events. Back on the ice the sled won't pull over, it's full of water, we pulled the plugs and pumped the water out, then with the very same set of plugs restarted it in two pulls. Those standing around couldn't believe their eyes, nor could they believe that I rode it off the lake and down the trail to clear it out and get some fresh oil in it. Those who water cross would have been proud.

The story doesn't end there however, remember the trailing arm, after 30 miles of ridding it it no longer points up. It is now pointing down, in two pieces. Only 35 miles to go and while some crafty types may have lashed the two pieces together with a stick, we rode it home the way it was. Don't forget my friends Warrior is home in pieces, not because it had a problem, but because my friend has a sketchee track record with motorized vehicles. Broken or not he was still riding as fast as 55 mph, he's out of his mind. The next day we pick up a new trailing arm and repaired the damage, that was it everything else was fine.

So to answer your question I really like the Yamaha triples, and you really have to screw up for them to let you down.

You will love this sled! I had a 99'. A buddy told me it was a fun sled to ride. I really didn't know what he meant by fun until I rode it! You should get it clutched though. Mine was clutched with V-force reeds and that thing flew. Up to 90 not much could take it. Many 700s were whooped by that sled. Great sled if set up!

Back