• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2006 Mar TY Muni ride - Thanks and 07 Phazer impressions

S.X.

Lifetime Member
Tom and the rest of the people from both TY and Yamaha,

Thanks for a fantastic time, ridin the 07's made the 7 hour drive worth every minute. Unfortunatly we had to cut our day short on Saterday and did not get to ride with you all, but overall it was excellent even though mother nature wasn't. I was hanging around during Saterday mornings general public sign up and I can tell you there where quit a few people in Yellow and Green lurking around and signing up to see what all this 4 stroke stuff was all about.

Quik overview on the new Phazer:

I personally liked the FX better than the GT for the rough and sloppy conditions we had, but I can tell you this thing ate the bumps and absorbed the hits with minimal effort. I am not the typical "stand up" type rider but even at 6'4" I fealt very comfortable standing on this sled and attacking the rough stuff. The engine sounds somewhat like an ATV and pulls plenty hard for a 500, I can see the target market absolutly loving this sled.

Thanks again TY and Yamaha, another perfect showing from Big Blue!

;)!

Tom and the Yamaha Crew,

I second the big Thank You for the well organized Demo rides on Friday. I really appreciate the planning and time you put into this weekend. It was alot of fun. I believe many Phazers will be sold in the coming months.
The 07 lineup is outstanding.

john

Phazer

Thanks guys for the input, what are your thoughts on buying this sled for my my 14 year old son and getting him off of his 02 SRX? I'm just about to make this trade, any additional thoughts would be appreciated!

Bluedog

Re: Phazer

BLUEDOG said:
Thanks guys for the input, what are your thoughts on buying this sled for my my 14 year old son and getting him off of his 02 SRX? I'm just about to make this trade, any additional thoughts would be appreciated!

Bluedog

Blue,

If he is currently riding an SRX, he may be feeling a little HP deprived, it is not a muscle sled nor was it meant to be so this comparison is probably not what Yamaha would have ever intended. I can say that it is an absolute blast to ride in the rough stuff with plenty of power on tap to carry you into the well over speed limits assuming someware in the 85mph range. But to compare 140ish hp of an SRX to 80 hp of the Phazer is a tough comparison. I would say that in the tight, bumpy and twisty's the Phazer would be right up his alley but if you spend your days on long smooth runs the SRX obviously will feel more at home.

I am very confident that compared to most any 500 or some 600 class sleds you will come away thinking it is the perfect all around sled with the edge givin towards its agressive new age styling. If he is more of a "Ditch Banger" he will love it, although very capable of more that is where this sled will really shine in my opinion.

Hope this helps

Thank You, Yamaha and Tom.

Phazer was a blast, Yamaha will sell all of these that they can build. I believe this is our next generation of sleds to come. Put a 120 to 130hp in this sled and they will own the snowmobile world #1.

S.X. said:
I am very confident that compared to most any 500 or some 600 class sleds ...

Are you serious? Most 500s are making over 100 horse now. I thought it felt pretty anemic. Probably perfect for a 14 yo. Putting a 14yo on a srx is silly, or worse, imo.

Did anyone notice the excessive vibration in the fazers? Especially on the GT, the FX and to a lesser extent on the venture lite.

I thought the chassis was pretty good and loved the ergos but the vibes would be a deal killer for me.

DooFighter said:
S.X. said:

Are you serious? Most 500s are making over 100 horse now. I thought it felt pretty anemic. Probably perfect for a 14 yo. Putting a 14yo on a srx is silly, or worse, imo.

Did anyone notice the excessive vibration in the fazers? Especially on the GT, the FX and to a lesser extent on the venture lite.

I thought the chassis was pretty good and loved the ergos but the vibes would be a deal killer for me.

If you read my message I said overall sled! I am not talking pure HP's numbers here. And yes I noticed the vibes, but they are certainly no worse than any other 2 stroke twin on the market, if compared to a triple or a 4 banger of coarse you will feel it. With the addition of electric start and reverse and fuel injection not to mention 20mpg's in my mind mind there is no comparison to the other 500's out there.

the phazer is impressive.... the ride is second to none if you want to go after the rough stuff.... the power is actually alot better than the feel... it sounds so quiet that you dont realize that little engine is pullin 11500 rpms....

to compare the HP to a vector, viper, apex, etc. is silly, this is a 500 class sled, that does what all 500s do.... if you want a 150 hp sled, this isnt for you, but if a tight rough trail tamer or definately intro to the sport type guy, this sled could be just what you are looking for....

i am a big guy, and i found myself lookin for the big bumps with this baby.... if i wouldnt have sold my viper this year, i may have bought one for me to ride at home and keep the viper for the high speed UP Rides...

I think if a guy would give this phazer a chance, it could be the sled that everyone would want to ride, and that no one could keep up with on some tight, twisty, bumpy trails..... even with a HP disadvantage. Throw an exhaust on it to liven up the sound and feel of it and WALA!!

NICE JOB YAMI!!!

I thought the Phazer suspention and ergo's were very good, but the vibration was a concern of mine as well. The RX is so smooth, maybe I am just spoiled. The sled is nice and I as well am 6'4" and was comfortable standing and banging the mogels. The twisty trails we were on made it difficult to tell how hard it pulls as I could never get it to the much higher reported RPM's.

The Demo's should have been a big plus for Yamaha as SKIDOO or BRP cancelled their demos as they said conditions were to bad.

S.X. said:
DooFighter said:
S.X. said:

If you read my message I said overall sled! I am not talking pure HP's numbers here. And yes I noticed the vibes, but they are certainly no worse than any other 2 stroke twin on the market, if compared to a triple or a 4 banger of coarse you will feel it. With the addition of electric start and reverse and fuel injection not to mention 20mpg's in my mind mind there is no comparison to the other 500's out there.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the vibes. 20mpg? Where does this info come from? I thought so. No one will know mpg until they're on the snow next season.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the vibes. 20mpg? Where does this info come from? I thought so. No one will know mpg until they're on the snow next season.[/quote]

It comes from each one of the Phazers that we all have ridden that have had countless miles already on them. Maybe I should have stated that early season reports had them in the 27 mpg range but under real world testing they are falling into the 20 mpg range effectively same as the Vector. This was not propaganda but an honest evaluation of a production intent sled. Will it be better? will it be worse? who knows but I can tell you that over 20mpg's is a reality on the Vector so why would you second guess a sled that weighs almost 100 lbs less!!

Obviuosly the Phazer is not for you I was only stating my seat of the pants results and I think it is one hell of a little sled!

My 2 cents have been spent. Mr Sled feel free to dump my original post onto the Dog Pile.

;):D

I love the little Phazer...I will have one next year for anyone that attends a ride to try...

You are welcome for all those that attended.

Tom

Back