• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2007 FX rear skid Part Broke

newbb

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Nytro, vmax, srx, vector
Hi, I know there is a weak link on these 2007 Phazer 500's but what part is the weak link exactly?

I just noticed that the part where the rear most shock bolts to at the base is broken......is this the common part that breaks?
The part that broke appears to have a few holes in it for different locations to mount the rear shock.

What is the ideal fix for this if anyone has encountered this issue?

How bad of an idea is it to ride the sled with that part broken?? (will cause more expensive damage, break the track etc....?)

I rode yesterday with it broken and didnt seem to mind it much.

Thanks for any help.

the rear shock is still mounted to the part at the base but the part broke away sorta by the grease fitting. The part with the grease fitting will just spin all the way around.

Doubt it.....mine has none of the other updates done to it so I doubt this rear skid one has been done either.

Was it a factory recall?? Like will the dealer do it for free?

The rear front shock is a Ohlins Brand so someone has been in there in the past. I just bought the sled and didnt notice it was broke when I bought it. Only paid $2k for it so....... wasnt expecting a super clean sled or anything.

How bad is it to ride with it broken??

What is the specific part called so I can search for one?

Thanks

I did not know mine was broken when I got mine and ended up riding 300 miles with it broken I thought is was a broken shock because it handled like a pogo stick. I ended up taking it out and welding the crap out of it the stock piece is only tacked together and the many holes in it to make it lighter not multiply mounting holes. Schmidt bros will fix a broken one for I think $60 or just get someone to weld it.

That is the common part that was updated on the 09 and newer correct?? If not, what is?

yea even in 08 it was different. The new piece is a solid chunk of aluminum that can't break. It is the link between the front shock, the rear shock and the major arm of the suspension so it is kind of important.

The Dealer will charge me though right?? for updates.

I prefer to try and fix things myself.

Whats the broken part called exactly so I can see if there is one on ebay or something.

Thanks guys

You never know, they might warrenty if. Never hurts to ask.

What about guys that are parting out sleds? Might be able to get an updated one from them?

People call it a Pivot link. But in the parts catalog they just call it a "bracket" and you just can't get one from a newer model year and throw it in there the part on the newer sleds is fatter so the brackets don't fit it. So this pivot link on your sled is a 1 year only part if you do get the '07 part from yamaha is is redesigned and like $70. Here is the old part before I broke it. (red arrow)
82b56866-8185-4287-a70c-4229b659a53f_zps46952845.jpg

So I cant get an aftermarket billet aluminum one and install it right?

I can get one from yamaha and will be updated stronger one?

Im a little confused because the one shown in the pic above does not look like the broken one I have.

Back