• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2007 phazer - cold start ECU (UPDATE)

Problem solved. Sat outside in the cold all day. Cranked 5 revs with fuel pump off, turned fuel pump on and it started 4 revs later. I'm installing a weatherproof push button NC switch.

Not really doubting you but every year at this time these starting issues get brought up and then it seems like they go away for the rest of season. Coincidence? No. I believe old gas in the system is the reason or people just learn to have confidence that it will start. That said I do have a Power Commander with a tune for stock. It is a very little bit leaner than stock. Before the PC I leaned it out using the stock diagnostics. Might be something to try since after 11883 mi my plugs although worn were a perfect tan all the way down. Never fouled a plug and never changed them till this year.

If I don't disable the fuel pump for the first 5 revolutions I won't even get a sputter for 20+ revolutions. That is in a warm shop. The difference is clear.

cannondale27 said:
Not really doubting you but every year at this time these starting issues get brought up and then it seems like they go away for the rest of season. Coincidence? No. I believe old gas in the system is the reason or people just learn to have confidence that it will start. That said I do have a Power Commander with a tune for stock. It is a very little bit leaner than stock. Before the PC I leaned it out using the stock diagnostics. Might be something to try since after 11883 mi my plugs although worn were a perfect tan all the way down. Never fouled a plug and never changed them till this year.

Do you have the original ECU?

Mountaintech said:
If I don't disable the fuel pump for the first 5 revolutions I won't even get a sputter for 20+ revolutions. That is in a warm shop. The difference is clear.

I believe you about the fuel delivery before ignition. My turbo Phazer was especially ugly starting before ECU update. Had to crank with throttle part the way cracked to get it going. All 3 of my Phazers now have the update and start correctly now.

Mountaintech said:
The scenario I am talking about involves the original 07 "00" ECU.

I have had the Original ECU in the whole time. Is no doubt the updated one starts it better. Just saying there is some alternatives.

cannondale27 said:
Mountaintech said:
The scenario I am talking about involves the original 07 "00" ECU.

I have had the Original ECU in the whole time. Is no doubt the updated one starts it better. Just saying there is some alternatives.

You were lucky enough to get one that does start, and I suspect your power commander helps alot. I have a stock ECU from a 2007 Phazer I can send you I gurantee will give you starting fits if used without a power commander....

just got my new 10 ECU in the mail. i'm sure hoping it helps with my start issues.
mine sputters as well and won't start at all when it is really winter out. the major problem i have with these Phazers is i leave it sit the day after getting into the backcountry... i come back in the late afternoon and sure hope that it starts. if i just rode it all day i wouldn't really mind it so much.

well. this completely resolved my issue for anyone reading this. the new ECU was the magic fix and had a good test on Sunday morning with -15c temps!
now i'll go and tell the dealer how to fix this problem. they told me all sorts of things but didn't believe the ECU was the fix.

swixtt said:
well. this completely resolved my issue for anyone reading this. the new ECU was the magic fix and had a good test on Sunday morning with -15c temps!
now i'll go and tell the dealer how to fix this problem. they told me all sorts of things but didn't believe the ECU was the fix.

LOL! How could the dealer NOT believe it when there was a service bulletin on it? WOW.....find another dealer?

of course the dealer would rather tell you to go change your spark plugs or its bad gas than try and do a factory fix and try and get money from Yamaha and the service bulitin expired many years ago anyway so it has to be out of the goodness of their hearts to do this fix. I got the the same crap when I tried to get this one fixed on my 07 it still absolutely will not start on its own below 5degres F. I have to jump start it every time

definitely get that new ECU Sparky. it is almost worth keeping now:)

no other Yammy dealer around here.

gotta say a big THANKS to this thread to help in solving the problem. :rocks:

Back