• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2007 phazer - cold start ECU (UPDATE)

cannondale27 said:
Not really doubting you but every year at this time these starting issues get brought up and then it seems like they go away for the rest of season. Coincidence? No. I believe old gas in the system is the reason or people just learn to have confidence that it will start. That said I do have a Power Commander with a tune for stock. It is a very little bit leaner than stock. Before the PC I leaned it out using the stock diagnostics. Might be something to try since after 11883 mi my plugs although worn were a perfect tan all the way down. Never fouled a plug and never changed them till this year.

x2

Bad gas has always been my problem. I have recently discovered that the map for my Power Commander is adding fuel at idle when I first start it up, possibly another reason why I have changed plugs a few times... When it is very cold, -20c or more, my idle is 2800rpm, and fuel is being added. I am going to adjust my map because I feel that is completely not necessary.

My original post shows the difference, If you have starting problems no doubt the updated ECU is a fix, assuming your plugs are OK.

Good luck everyone

wonder if this is why my 2012 apex wont start when cold. I think I am going to try the switch and see if that works as far as I know there is no ecu fix for the apex.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. When it finally does start it's like it is clearing itself out from being flooded. I spliced into the red wire that goes to the fuel pump and am adding a weatherproof Normally closed spring loaded push button switch. Then the procedure to start when cold would go as follows.........Push down on switch, turn key to start, let go of push button switch after 5-6 revolutions and engine starts.
Did you do this did it work? I am wondering if it maybe a fix for my 2012 apex cold start issues.

Will the ecu from the mountain sled work in the shorty? In Canada the mountain ecu is $285 and the std is over $1000 for some reason.

Any other thoughts on hard starts when it’s really cold out? Started having a problem last year with the wife’s 07 mtx. Was ALWAYS able to get it to fire with a can of starting fluid and cycling the fuel pump 5-6 times. ALWAYS!! Last Christmas we were in the UP and could not get it to fire. Took it to Meyer Yamaha in ishpeming. They changed the plugs and got it to start. Put in on my covered trailer drove back to grand Marais. Got up the next morning.....no start again. Spoke to the guys at port Yamaha and they convinced me that it wasn’t the ECU. Told me to start looking at various sensors. Sled had 9400 miles on it. Any other thoughts guys?

No codes at all. Replaced both coils 2 years ago. Ended up not being riden at all last year Always stored inside

Back