• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2007 phazer fx aftermarket vs oem starter

I have mine on dolleys right now with belly pan off. Lying on my back looked up in there n jockeyed it around but it wont line up to fall out no matter how i turn it. Idk. Not afraid to tear it apart. As a Quality Engineer this gives me good reason to inspect every detail as i dig. But i dont want to make a habit of it. Nice short quick change next time would b desired

kirkswim is out at camp with limited internet atm and will not be back till sunday. but i will text him and mayby he can get in here and give you some pointers.

When I got it out I had out put shaft pointed upwards with eth but of the starter down. It came out through the triangle section of the frame(metal part) by the centre I believe. It kinda dropped twist drop twisted.

Ok. I need to turn it upside down then and try. Thanks

this how I took the starter out of my Phazer. it's an 07 got an aftermarket one for 125.00 . is your ecu upgraded for cold starts? I found my old ecu it would just crank and crank. the new ecu just starts in 3 cranks. I betting the old ecu is hard on that poor starter.

Attachments

• 20190314_153627.jpg
    20190314_153627.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 153
this how I took the starter out of my Phazer. it's an 07 got an aftermarket one for 125.00 . is your ecu upgraded for cold starts? I found my old ecu it would just crank and crank. the new ecu just starts in 3 cranks. I betting the old ecu is hard on that poor starter.

That is how mine came out as well!

Tried to get it out without cutting the tab but wont happen. Going to pull front off like P. Rabbit n 2stroken. Starter was on backorder. Just came in today. Now if i could find time to put it in. Priceless! Knew what i had to do but started this thread in hopes of people posting longevity times for their choices of starters for comparison so others could decide better on what to buy. Thanks to all for advice on how to change it. Like i said, when i get mine rebuilt i will post back an update in case anyone considers rebuilding their starter for another idea for options in repairing faulty starter. That may be awhile as i have 10,000 miles on my phazer with the original starter. Yes. I did the ecu upgrade when it first came out but never tore into the engine for the other half of that upgrade which involves valve spring changes i think. Thats probably why it lasted so long. It always started hard but after ecu upgrade it cranked slowly but fired up after 3rd crank. Im curious if new starter will crank faster. Not a believer in slow cranking indicative of loose bolts as its done that since it came out if the crate. Maybe believe if you notice it cranking slower yes your bolts prolly are loosening up. Mine barely cranks 300 rpm since brand new. Before and after ecu upgrade but always started.

Why is everybody so unwilling to cut that useless tab? I cut it off way back in 2009 when I Loctited the starter bolts as a preventive and it made my life so much easier last year when I had to replace it twice due to a sticking solenoid. It's like an appendix and is just in the way. You won't miss it.

Anyway, the spring in the kit is for the decompression. Not sure if it's stiffer or looser but the big change is with the ECU. IIRC, it no longer waits for oil pressure to build up before firing the engine.

Why is everybody so unwilling to cut that useless tab? I cut it off way back in 2009 when I Loctited the starter bolts as a preventive and it made my life so much easier last year when I had to replace it twice due to a sticking solenoid. It's like an appendix and is just in the way. You won't miss it.

Anyway, the spring in the kit is for the decompression. Not sure if it's stiffer or looser but the big change is with the ECU. IIRC, it no longer waits for oil pressure to build up before firing the engine.
I would cut it off if I was in a hurry but removing the whole front frame only takes me 10 minutes and after that starter comes right out without. Always find something to replace when front is off anyway.Moose if I had just removed frame and knew everything was good other than starter I would cut that chunk off in a heartbeat. By the way my starter has over 23000 mi on it. Original 07 ECU. Have always primed 3 times then tryed again. Prime two times then tryed again for a 3 count max. If still doesnt go I always just give it a shot of Starting spray after removing airbox cover. Instantly starts after that.

You sure yours failed on the bolts? They usually backed out much earlier than that. They's be rusted in by now. Maybe it's a magnets failure.

BTW, I cheated to get mine out by cutting the aluminum tab that projects from the bottom of the engine which does absolutely nothing. Makes starter swaps easy peasy.
I did the same thing!

your probably right magnet and brush failure. the reason I did it this way was a two part thing . I wanted to fix the front end anyway and needed to fix idle cable holder.

Attachments

• 20190314_204909.jpg
    20190314_204909.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 151
  • 20190314_204914.jpg
    20190314_204914.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 142
  • 20190327_095153.jpg
    20190327_095153.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 140

Back